Why Are Some People Put On This Earth?

T0AD

2023, you're my last hope
Reaction score
Handicap
lots
On top of the hot sauce story, we have this little horror story from Anderson, IN, right outside of Indy.

http://fox59.com/2014/11/13/anderso...-taken-to-the-hospital-with-a-skull-fracture/

WHY? It's stuff like this that puts doubt in my mind as to whether there is a higher power up there. Why would He put someone, or a couple(!), on this planet to abuse a baby? I really hope they are dealt with inside their cages, but the judicial system we have created will put them on the streets on bail or at least put them in solitary/protective custody. Sometimes I wish society was allowed to take care of its own problems.

My god. I hope that little boy makes it through and can placed with a mom and dad that will love him like he deserves.

The two adults in this story - well they're monsters and sociopaths. Put them in the gen pop of a maximum security prison and let the jungle take care of it.

This stuff is just so freaking wrotten .. Freaking" A WROTTEN"

if I could , I would literally eliminate these type of people myself

I hate people like this . I FREAKING A HATE THEM

I'm not going in-depth on this one. Instead I'm gonna give my 4-month old daughter another kiss.

There isn't a higher power up there. You're welcome!

It would have been entertaining to see you in a fire fight in Vietnam. Strange things come out of non believers mouths when close to death.

It is the one question you may be allowed to ask someday. Until then, we have no idea why the evil are allowed to live and pull off their dirty deeds. I end my comment at that. This is a golf site and we love to talk golf. These topics along with politics, can go south fast.

If you have not read it, may I suggest C.S. Lewis' "The Problem of Pain". It might not satisfy you, but it might help put things in perspective a bit.

For those who do believe, simplistically, the fall of man was not limited to a little evil. It opened the door to all evil.

I'm not going in-depth on this one. Instead I'm gonna give my 4-month old daughter another kiss.

Same here

It's called sin. It's well known in this world and unfortunately satan runs it. For now. Personally I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior but I do believe His leash on satan is too long. It is bullchit that crap like this happens. It's also BS that my wife has a terminal illness (ALS) I could blame a lot of things but I'm not gonna concern myself with the things I cannot control. Life is life. It's here today and gone the next. Crazy stuff happening in the world and it will continue to do messed up things. I'm thankful for the things I do have though and thankful for what I do not have.

Does Indianna have Capital Punishment (death penalty)? Simple solution for a$$h0les!

Tragic.

My own experiences ended my following of God. Though I sometimes pray to him yet.

Most of the time for others, when my buddy deployed to Afghanistan is was a nightly occurrence.

I just can't follow a god who allows such tragedies to go unpunished.

Tragic.

My own experiences ended my following of God. Though I sometimes pray to him yet.

Most of the time for others, when my buddy deployed to Afghanistan is was a nightly occurrence.

I just can't follow a god who allows such tragedies to go unpunished.

I can understand that. I had my struggles and even cursed God to no end long time ago so I agree it is difficult to believe when things so cruel happen. It really suckss relying on "faith". Seems so hollow. I don't understand why all the things happen either. I do believe that the evil and people who do evil will one day have to answer and everyone will be accountable for what they do. Most people may not believe that but I do. It's easy to blame God since He is the creator so at times I find my self in "WTF!!" mode and I look at Him and question if He even knows WTF He's doing. I don't pray often enough and I've stopped reading the Bible but I know enough to know better. It will always be a struggle believing on God as things get worse and worse especially when kids are involved to such nasty things. They say "mysterious" but I say God works in fukced up ways sometimes but it's not for me to understand though either.

On top of the hot sauce story, we have this little horror story from Anderson, IN, right outside of Indy.

http://fox59.com/2014/11/13/anderso...-taken-to-the-hospital-with-a-skull-fracture/

WHY? It's stuff like this that puts doubt in my mind as to whether there is a higher power up there. Why would He put someone, or a couple(!), on this planet to abuse a baby? I really hope they are dealt with inside their cages, but the judicial system we have created will put them on the streets on bail or at least put them in solitary/protective custody. Sometimes I wish society was allowed to take care of its own problems.

That is horrible. While I do believe in that higher power up there I can't answer your question. It is confusing at times. I know a lot of people believe that he gives us free will. And what we do with it is our choice. There are definitely some sick and twisted people out there.

That is one of the hardest things for me as a parent. I don't want to shelter my kids too much. You have to let them live their lives, and you can't always protect them anyway. But man that is scary sometimes.

It would have been entertaining to see you in a fire fight in Vietnam. Strange things come out of non believers mouths when close to death.

Ain't that the Truth!

The answer to why God allows evil or allows people to do terrible things is in the Bible, but it requires a good amount of reading and studying, and evaluation of evidence regarding his existence and plan for mankind -- all with an open mind -- the latter being absolutely critical. (It's not like looking in a car's service manual for how to change a tire.) For a short answer, one could search www.gotquestions.org ("Why does God allow evil?") and similar sites.

Last edited:
I bet you'd have some answers if the met the parent's parents. Some people just aren't meant to have children.

re: the religious implications of your question and the comments following, this is a great scholarly work on the evolution of the christian concept of satan:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Origin-Sa...tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1416048543&sr=8-1

Re: the abusive parents in the article. Yes, of course they need to be punished for what they have done. However, when one asks "why", it is easy to just say, "the parents are pieces of trash that deserve to be murdered, etc." It's just not that simple.

There are entire fields of study dedicated to the cultural implications of poverty and transgenerational trauma (some assuming of the socioeconomic status of the parents as the correlation with child abuse is so high). In short, experiencing prolonged trauma significantly alters the brain and it's ability to feel empathy, control impulses, etc. However, this information is in direct conflict with our cultural narrative of "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" and "if you're poor, it's your own damn fault." We currently incarcerate about 700% more juveniles than any other developed nation. That is our solution. Until we prioritize a different approach to poverty and how we support parents and children, not much is going to change.

One of the cutting-edge researchers in the field of neuropsychological development and cultural implications of trauma, relationships, etc (about 55min):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6kDeBaJi0M

remember, beware the great oversimplifiers....

Last edited:
Last edited:
Why Are Some People Put On This Earth?

"Great" and "scholarly" is in the mind of the beholder I guess. Here is a book (one among many) that rebuts the type of work referenced: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0830833552/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk. But as we know, everyone will have to decide what is truth and what is a lie. That is also part of free will. :wink:

Edited for accuracy:

That book looks good. Always great to get 2 sides and that scholar is well respected (as are Pagels, Borg, etc. so let's not discredit somebody just for having a liberal view of the information).

Again, book looks good.

frankly, there is no way to come to an agreement on the religious questions. However, the information about what happens to people's brain when they are chronically stressed or traumatized...now, that question is settled :)

Last edited:
I've read quite a bit about Elaine Pagels (and about her other books). But thanks.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Uh. Me thinks you didn't read much about the book I linked. Knee-jerk much? You might want to google up who Elaine Pagels is before getting all contrarian..,or maybe read something about the work in question before posting a response.

Hint: we're saying the same thing.

Dude, all you seem to do is bash people that think differently than you do. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want to believe.

Back