Why Are You NOT Scheduling Lessons

Talked about it on Off Course with @Canadan, but, finally getting back into lessons with one booked later this month. Going to Johnathan Moore, former NCAA individual champ who is also OSU’s S&C coach currently out at Karsten Creek!

Lessons are going well for me. Fixing some huge swing problems which I couldn't have identified without the help of video and a trained eye. Scores are coming down.

I've had 2 out of the 3 pack of lessons that I bought and it's made a huge difference. Even after just one lesson my swing was looking and feeling way better and some short game tips in the second that will definitely help the scores keep dropping

When you have the stark differences - really opposites - of opinions in another thread regarding weight shift from so many who are far more knowledgeable than me, that would be one pretty good answer to the question “why are you not scheduling lessons”.

If one of the sides is correct, the other cannot be. Which side should I choose to teach me the golf swing?

When you have the stark differences - really opposites - of opinions in another thread regarding weight shift from so many who are far more knowledgeable than me, that would be one pretty good answer to the question “why are you not scheduling lessons”.

If one of the sides is correct, the other cannot be. Which side should I choose to teach me the golf swing?
There is no ONE way to swing a club. Many camps, many principles.

Reality is, best way to find a pro that works well for you is trial and error. As much as school of thought matters, so too does if they mesh with you personality and goals wise as well.

There is no ONE way to swing a club. Many camps, many principles.

Reality is, best way to find a pro that works well for you is trial and error. As much as school of thought matters, so too does if they mesh with you personality and goals wise as well.
That’s the only response that would have made sense to me. Thank you!
People are criticized for wanting to take lessons but not wanting to change their entire swing. The above may be why.

(Not so) Hypothetical… I’m a student who knows I have a low ceiling on improvement and changing poor habits. I believe this because of experiences with several different instructors. (So it must be me, right?) But I want to get more out of those limited abilities. So I ask you - a potential instructor - to trust my self-evaluation, and then follow up by asking can you help me improve, even slightly?

What’s your response?

*This is an honest inquiry, not a pissing contest. I want to improve as badly as any other golfer. But there is a little trust issue with the instruction process and my ability. I’m willing to put in some work, even knowing the potential is low… say… bogey golf at best. And I want to believe there is the possibility through instruction.

People are criticized for wanting to take lessons but not wanting to change their entire swing. The above may be why.

(Not so) Hypothetical… I’m a student who knows I have a low ceiling on improvement and changing poor habits. I believe this because of experiences with several different instructors. (So it must be me, right?) But I want to get more out of those limited abilities. So I ask you - a potential instructor - to trust my self-evaluation, and then follow up by asking can you help me improve, even slightly?

What’s your response?

*This is an honest inquiry, not a pissing contest. I want to improve as badly as any other golfer. But there is a little trust issue with the instruction process and my ability. I’m willing to put in some work, even knowing the potential is low… say… bogey golf at best. And I want to believe there is the possibility through instruction.
Just be honest with them, and then see if they’ll work or not work with what you want.

Ive had lessons before where the instructor recommended a total rebuild, I simply told him I dont have the time, desire, or money for that, and that was that. From there a good instructor will still work with you in the parameters you have set, if they won’t, then find another.

time and not wanting to invest money into something I don’t have time to practice at the moment. Also not into the idea of needing to put the extra time and money into the trial and error process of finding the right coach, when I’m not trying to be a pro or anything. I’ve gotten good enough on my own where I don’t feel like I’d embarrass myself with better golfers or at nicer country clubs, so there just really isn’t a point for me IMO.

What’s your response?

As Jman says there's many ways to swing the golf club. But in order to play good golf, the outcome of whatever way you swing must be to deliver a square club face to the ball. I think many people (including myself) do not. They have an open club face or a closed club face, a screwed up path, they're too steep, they're hanging back on their right side - BUT - they've learned how to manage all those flaws well enough to shoot a somewhat respectable round of golf.

I used to play in a league with a guy that had a swing that would almost make you laugh out loud when you saw it. He'd literally slice the ball 45-degrees on almost every shot. He'd aim in the trees on the left, and end up in the right rough. But, he learned to manage it incredibly well. Depending on conditions and difficulty of the course, he'd shoot either in the 90's or low 100's. Once in a while, he'd even get into the 80's, a feat which if you saw him swing, you'd say was impossible.

But no matter how many times he goes to the range, no matter how many YouTube videos he watches, chances are, he'll never improve beyond that point without addressing his fundamental flaws.

If you can fix even one of your fundamental flaws, you open the door to real improvement. You can develop control over the ball you never had before. Without even knowing you Jon, I'd be willing to bet there's far more improvement potential than you believe possible.

I'm pretty picky with my instruction. I believe a very natural approach to teaching the golf swing is best, and I try to avoid anyone trying to get me too focused on mechanics or positions. However, I have learned beyond a shadow of a doubt that feel is not real. You are NOT doing what you think. You can't fix something you don't know. Ninety-nine percent of golfers cannot identify their true flaws without the help of tools and a trained eye.

It's not always an easy process. I've had lessons where I thought the instructor was barking up the wrong tree or where they tried to fix too many things at once and improvement did not come. But as Jman says, if it's not working, you move on and give someone else a try. Eventually you find someone who makes a real difference in your game. When you find them, you'll know it.

So which is it? Do you keep swinging with huge flaws you've just learned to manage while knowing doing so will prevent real progress? Or do you embark on a search for someone who can make a real difference and unlock at least part of the golfer you've always wanted to be?

I've definitely been scheduling lessons. My last couple have been game changing. Next one in a couple of weeks!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So which is it? Do you keep swinging with huge flaws you've just learned to manage while knowing doing so will prevent real progress? Or do you embark on a search for someone who can make a real difference and unlock at least part of the golfer you've always wanted to be?
I guess whichever would get me to bogey golf. I think finding and trusting the right instructor would bring about the best chance. Unfortunately, that hasn’t been the easiest task so.

I guess whichever would get me to bogey golf. I think finding and trusting the right instructor would bring about the best chance. Unfortunately, that hasn’t been the easiest task so.

It's not, but don't give up. Also, look in some unconventional places. Perhaps a lady PGA teaching pro? Perhaps the guy that teaches at the junior course. Perhaps call your local college and ask the golf coach who is the instructor with whom most of their players work?

Last edited:
I have a couple "reasons". I dont know where to go around here. I dont think i can afford lessons and being able to play. I havent had the best experience when i have tried to take lessons so far. So, i really need to find someone i am comfortable with. I keep thinking about it but i need to research and commit.

Last edited:
Finding the right person is critical. I'm under the impression I'll have to move to find the right one for me haha

But I am starting to think I want to find that person.
I think this is where a lot of us find ourselves. I played with a guy a couple of weeks ago who retired recently, but used to live in San Diego. He told me how excited he was to go back to San Diego at the end of this month BECAUSE he'd booked a lesson with his longtime instructor. He said he never was able to find an instructor where we live. The fact is he is one of the lucky ones. He found a good instructor.

I really want to. Simply, I’ve had some lessons from a not so great instructor. Now I’m worried about paying for another bad instructor. I really need to do some research and find a reputable instructor near by.

Agree that finding a good teacher is difficult.
I have had 2 or 3 in the past that were great, as well as several that were a waste of my time and $$.
Very frustrating to feel like you've wasted money w/ no measured progress.

finished my 3rd lesson of a 3 pack I had purchased and I can definitely say that I improved and learned more in just 1 45 minute lesson than I did in 9 months by myself. 20 minutes spent on chipping have been a huge help to my scores especially

Do they have lessons for course management? I think I need a caddie at all times haha

Do they have lessons for course management? I think I need a caddie at all times haha

I got you captain!

finished my 3rd lesson of a 3 pack I had purchased and I can definitely say that I improved and learned more in just 1 45 minute lesson than I did in 9 months by myself. 20 minutes spent on chipping have been a huge help to my scores especially

I just took lesson 2 of 3. I’m still working out the kinks but I’ve seen a noticeable improvement on those fundamental flaws that others have mentioned. I had learned to navigate with my little push slice but felt stuck. I had one of my best ball striking rounds likely ever last weekend from the work we’ve been doing.

I’ll echo others here that finding the right instructor is key. We talked about approach, my goals, etc. and worked as a team. For example, he asked how long I’ve done a ten finger grip and I said since I started playing golf 25+ years ago and he said that works, we will leave that alone. A little searching and trying to get five minutes with the instructor on the phone is key. And don’t be afraid to look in different spots. I’m taking lessons at Top Golf but we work well together.

Playing lessons are great for that.

My back can’t handle very much practice at all so I can’t put in the time to put in the work necessary. Stinks, because I went most of my golfing life stubbornly wanting to figure things out for myself and now that I’d be interested in lessons, physically speaking, it’s not a good bet for me.

I wish I’d started seeing Jonathan way earlier when Amanda had been urging me to just pay him and go.

The focus on pivot and posture is just the start, but I’m finally back in a position I can more properly shallow and deliver the club. Which means my height and spin are coming back, which means I’m a happy boy.

Lots more to do, but lessons are more than worth it IMO.

I wish I’d started seeing Jonathan way earlier when Amanda had been urging me to just pay him and go.

The focus on pivot and posture is just the start, but I’m finally back in a position I can more properly shallow and deliver the club. Which means my height and spin are coming back, which means I’m a happy boy.

Lots more to do, but lessons are more than worth it IMO.

So @Canadan and I had a long talk about instruction because my game the last month has been just awful. The swing went from off, but functional, to now off and fighting it. Its a complete mess. We have good instructors at our club here and I am fortunate to have a simulator to practice on. Yet I am about to start some pretty heavy travel and won't have access to play or practice like I would want to.

At least that is what I am telling myself. Last go round with them took me down quite a bit and the game was really rocking. That was a few years ago and I said this year would be rebuild year to get back there. Yet here I am, in July with travel nearly weekly coming up pissed off at myself for waiting. The last 4 rounds have been just horrible with a slight glimmer and its tough to be out there constantly like that.

Back