Why Are You Playing the Ball That You Do?

Jeff Spicoli

Grandaddy X!!!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Mr. Hand
I'm curious why you are playing the ball that you currently do. How did you choose it? What performance aspect is most important to you? Is it greenside spin? Distance off driver or irons? Feel?

I am pretty picky about what I want out of a golf ball and once I find something that works, I stick with it.

If you don't have a regular ball that you play, why not?

It works around the green and keeps flight slightly lower on approach.

It's the best match for my current swing and clubs. That's it. Every year, or month, or round that's what determines it.

I play the CSX LS.

I'm a low spin driver guy that likes a firm ball. That one's not actually low spin off the tee and works well for me with most of the drivers I like.

My irons spin a little bit more than my previous set, and I'm particular about feels and numbers here too. I love that
I can hit the windows I want throughout with this ball. Let's me hit different shots and hit my numbers. I don't lose them in the long/mid irons in the wind or tough conditions, and the hard 9 iron that's kind of a tough shot for just about everyone doesn't overspin in those situations and come up short.

And it's downright amazing on wedge approach. Better than V1x and rivals CSX on full wedge. And it's pretty damn good strong the greens.

It's just a great ball and I love when it fits what I'm playing.

I dove into the Chrome Soft family last year. Wanted something with a more concise alignment aid for putting. I’ve since bounced around within - have gamed all three at some point. I usually find myself back with the OG Chrome Soft, Triple Track. I love the feel around the greens. It’s just a very visually pleasing golf ball. I love all of the different Truvis options as well for a fun change of pace.

I’m really excited to see what Callaway has in store.

I'm curious why you are playing the ball that you currently do. How did you choose it? What performance aspect is most important to you? Is it greenside spin? Distance off driver or irons? Feel?

I am pretty picky about what I want out of a golf ball and once I find something that works, I stick with it.

I’ve always played Chrome Soft when playing Callaway balls (since they came out). With the Grandaddy, I wanted to support Callaway and play the ball all year long. It’s been a fantastic experience this year and don’t anticipate switching to anything else

Chrome Soft TT. X seemed a bit hard on impact to me. CS seems perfect. I think it really gets great distance off the tee for me. I don’t feel I get the spin around the greens always I would like but I’m willing sacrifice for the distance and feel.

I play the CSX exclusively. I made the change into this ball because it gave me added spin and peak height. Things I need.

My honest answer is because of @JasonFinleyCG. He was my partner and teammate at the Dream Foursome in 21. I played a Callaway ball leading into that experience and have done so ever since. I have played a Supersoft, and ERC Soft and a Chrome Soft.

This year I stepped away from being a huge Bridgestone ball guy for the last 8+ years and dove into the ChromeSoft family. I landed on the CSXLS just based on what I saw visually from ball flight and green side playability.

Now that I’ve been looking at numbers in a LM I am leaning on the ChromeSoft.

Needless to say it has been fun and exciting after hearing so much about being fit for the ball before the clubs.

Because @JB told me to at the 2022 Budget Golf Championship cause he was tired of looking at my ball marker version of triple track on the VICE Soft. Played it and really liked it, @JB was right.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
I have been playing the RB tour being in the Victory Cup. I have always played srixon but now I will have a decision to make.

I have wandered around with ball choice. This year I played about 50:50 pro v1 and chromesoft x ls. In a pinch, I would say the chromesoft x ls is my favorite. I've tended to play well with that ball — this is the number one reason I play it — and feel like I get a little extra pop with driver without sacrificing wedge spin or feel on the greens. The pro v1 is what I call a benchmark ball. I know I can find them everywhere and there are never any surprises.

With my bad Swing right now the XV keeps me out of trouble. Once I can control my Swing I might try something else.

Q Star divide, and in complete honesty, it's because its blue/yellow and looks cool.

It also performs how I want it to, but I originally bought them because I loved the way they look.

It works around the green and keeps flight slightly lower on approach.
How did you find your current gamer? Trial and error? A certain brand you've always played.
It's the best match for my current swing and clubs. That's it. Every year, or month, or round that's what determines it.

I play the CSX LS.

I'm a low spin driver guy that likes a firm ball. That one's not actually low spin off the tee and works well for me with most of the drivers I like.

My irons spin a little bit more than my previous set, and I'm particular about feels and numbers here too. I love that
I can hit the windows I want throughout with this ball. Let's me hit different shots and hit my numbers. I don't lose them in the long/mid irons in the wind or tough conditions, and the hard 9 iron that's kind of a tough shot for just about everyone doesn't overspin in those situations and come up short.

And it's downright amazing on wedge approach. Better than V1x and rivals CSX on full wedge. And it's pretty damn good strong the greens.

I've got a similar approach too. I am playing irons that spin more than I had before and the CSX LS is the perfect fit for getting the spin, ball flight, and carry I want for my irons. If I was using a higher spin ball, I wouldn't be able to play the irons I do.

The LS is fantastic in the wind and it's not a ball I typically overspin like a Prov1 or 1x. I am really good at spinning those off the green.

I dove into the Chrome Soft family last year. Wanted something with a more concise alignment aid for putting. I’ve since bounced around within - have gamed all three at some point. I usually find myself back with the OG Chrome Soft, Triple Track. I love the feel around the greens. It’s just a very visually pleasing golf ball. I love all of the different Truvis options as well for a fun change of pace.

I’m really excited to see what Callaway has in store.
I've been playing the TruTrack. Really like the looks of it on top of how it fits my game. It will be interesting to see what ball you get recommended at the fitting.
I’ve always played Chrome Soft when playing Callaway balls (since they came out). With the Grandaddy, I wanted to support Callaway and play the ball all year long. It’s been a fantastic experience this year and don’t anticipate switching to anything else
What do you like it about it?
Chrome Soft TT. X seemed a bit hard on impact to me. CS seems perfect. I think it really gets great distance off the tee for me. I don’t feel I get the spin around the greens always I would like but I’m willing sacrifice for the distance and feel.
Do you think the extra distance is resulting in lower scores or would a ball that works better around the green do that for you? Could it be technique around the green?

Because it spins a lot, which I need. CSX.

I've been playing the TruTrack. Really like the looks of it on top of how it fits my game. It will be interesting to see what ball you get recommended at the fitting.

What do you like it about it?

Do you think the extra distance is resulting in lower scores or would a ball that works better around the green do that for you? Could it be technique around the green?
For me, not a harsh feel when I hit it. And it flies straight..i know any misses aren't the fault of the ball... Finally...I have a ton of confidence it can and will grab the green. I won't get it to spin back, but at the same time, it won't roll off the other side of the green

There is a place that has a trackman and does ball fittings. I was fit for Chrome Soft and TP5 over other golf balls. I have since switched to CSXLS because I like it off the tee and the numbers are similar for me on Trackman.

Q Star divide, and in complete honesty, it's because its blue/yellow and looks cool.

It also performs how I want it to, but I originally bought them because I loved the way they look.
Me, you and @Thrillbilly Jim if I recall.

I used them almost exclusively 2 years ago, this year I went trying to find a new ball for me and ended up back in Srixon and SuperSoft as well.

I play the CSX LS.

May have to try this!

Me, you and @Thrillbilly Jim if I recall.

I used them almost exclusively 2 years ago, this year I went trying to find a new ball for me and ended up back in Srixon and SuperSoft as well.
I’ve played it since it’s inception. The alignment is the biggest factor. Price and performance are top notch. Now, if Srixon would just ditch the matte finish and go to the Z-Star finish, it would be perfect.

I’ve played it since it’s inception. The alignment is the biggest factor. Price and performance are top notch. Now, if Srixon would just ditch the matte finish and go to the Z-Star finish, it would be perfect.
Yeah, the alignment is great for it. I absolutely attribute my better putting 2 summers ago to a combination of the new putter and having a better alignment aide on my ball for me.

Price, performance, durability have all been great. I do have 2 boxes of the Z-star white/yellow that I tried but it's not the same.

Back