Why Are You Playing the Ball That You Do?

Is it greenside spin? Distance off driver or irons? Feel?
YES.

Chrome Soft line in general. Still haven't locked down a specific one. I tried all year and had great rounds with all three. I originally switched to Callaway back in 2020 when I was selected for the Grandmama. I've been rocking with them ever since. One huge reason besides the actual quality of ball is their development of alignment aides. Triple Track is an absolute game changer and I don't see myself switching balls specifically because of that. Could I play well with any of the tour ball offerings these days? I have no doubt I could. But the performance along with alignment with Callaway balls is unmatched to me and that's not changing any time soon

I’ve played it since it’s inception. The alignment is the biggest factor. Price and performance are top notch. Now, if Srixon would just ditch the matte finish and go to the Z-Star finish, it would be perfect.
I would love it if the matte finish went away, but I can live with it.

Srixon Soft Feel for me. Price and performance combination work nicely for my game. That being said, I do sort of ramble all over the place. I still have a handful of new CSX, CSX LS, and Z-Star XV's that will all be in play next year. Then throw in the found balls in my bag and I wind up playing many different balls. I usually try to stick to the same ball, but if my game is off and I'm losing a lot of balls I'll just grab whatever's in my bag for used and shy away from new.

I play the CSX exclusively. I made the change into this ball because it gave me added spin and peak height. Things I need.
It gives me extra confidence seeing the data that tells me I'm playing the right ball.
My honest answer is because of @JasonFinleyCG. He was my partner and teammate at the Dream Foursome in 21. I played a Callaway ball leading into that experience and have done so ever since. I have played a Supersoft, and ERC Soft and a Chrome Soft.
He's kind of an expert.
This year I stepped away from being a huge Bridgestone ball guy for the last 8+ years and dove into the ChromeSoft family. I landed on the CSXLS just based on what I saw visually from ball flight and green side playability.

Now that I’ve been looking at numbers in a LM I am leaning on the ChromeSoft.

Needless to say it has been fun and exciting after hearing so much about being fit for the ball before the clubs.
I played a Bridgestone last year for testing. Made the switch to the LS this year. Once I find a ball that works, I try not to deviate from it.

I always start the year with 3 dozen. 2 are ProV1x and then a random dozen. I may give the chrome soft a try this year. I chose the x because it is long enough off the tee, but still give me that high traj. with spin on my irons and wedges.

I was playing the ProV1x and @Wildcat gave me a CSXLS to try one day. I really like how it felt and worked well for me. I then randomly tried a CS and liked it even more. Great distance off the tee for me i like the spin and when flushing an iron it feels great. I have stuck with the CS since then. I see no need to switch until new products are released.

Taylormade Tour Response is my main ball used. It helps keep the driver spin down for me but offers enough spin on my irons and wedges to not have to much roll out on approach shots. It also feels good off the putter face which I am very particular about feel in that area.
I have used TP5 and like that ball a lot too.

I played the CSX LS all year last year and really liked it. When I was picked for the Srixon Experience this year I worked to find the Srixon ball that played the closest to it and settled on the Zstar XV. Has good greenside spin so I can do some fun things with the short game without so much driver spin that I lose too many balls.

Being selected into the VC earlier this year, I wanted to get a chance to play the Mizuno ball offerings ahead of the event. Played the RB Tour all year as it did what I wanted it to do- felt soft off the putter and spun less off the driver. It's also why I've kept playing the ball since the experience.

Last edited:
Because @JB told me to at the 2022 Budget Golf Championship cause he was tired of looking at my ball marker version of triple track on the VICE Soft. Played it and really liked it, @JB was right.
He's also an expert.
I have been playing the RB tour being in the Victory Cup. I have always played srixon but now I will have a decision to make.
Early thoughts? Leader in the clubhouse?
I have wandered around with ball choice. This year I played about 50:50 pro v1 and chromesoft x ls. In a pinch, I would say the chromesoft x ls is my favorite. I've tended to play well with that ball — this is the number one reason I play it — and feel like I get a little extra pop with driver without sacrificing wedge spin or feel on the greens. The pro v1 is what I call a benchmark ball. I know I can find them everywhere and there are never any surprises.
I find the Prov1s all the time at my course. I like the feel of the Prov1, just doesn't do what I need it to do with irons and wedges. Like the greenside spin though.
With my bad Swing right now the XV keeps me out of trouble. Once I can control my Swing I might try something else.
If it's keeping you in play and you like it, seems like a winner to me.
Q Star divide, and in complete honesty, it's because its blue/yellow and looks cool.

It also performs how I want it to, but I originally bought them because I loved the way they look.
I never truly realized how much difference you could see from one model to the next until I started hitting different ones on my launch monitor at home. It's wild.

How did you find your current gamer? Trial and error? A certain brand you've always played.

I've got a similar approach too. I am playing irons that spin more than I had before and the CSX LS is the perfect fit for getting the spin, ball flight, and carry I want for my irons. If I was using a higher spin ball, I wouldn't be able to play the irons I do.

The LS is fantastic in the wind and it's not a ball I typically overspin like a Prov1 or 1x. I am really good at spinning those off the green.
Trial and error.

I played ProV1 with the standard Apex. Since the Apex CBs I'm in the CSX LS

It works well for me from tee to green. There's no aspect of the Chrome Soft that I don't like or don't feel good about.

Srixon Z-stars go on sale twice a year, making them the most affordable tour ball available to me. The only talent I was blessed with in this game is greenside touch, and it’s nice to have the premium balls for that.

Secret Santa 2022.

Titleist Tour Speed. Seems to pop up every time I do the questionnaire. I reckon Santa knows and decided to stick with it for awhile.

He's also an expert.

Early thoughts? Leader in the clubhouse?

I find the Prov1s all the time at my course. I like the feel of the Prov1, just doesn't do what I need it to do with irons and wedges. Like the greenside spin though.

If it's keeping you in play and you like it, seems like a winner to me.

I never truly realized how much difference you could see from one model to the next until I started hitting different ones on my launch monitor at home. It's wild.
I will play the Mizuno while supplies last. Then we will go with a head to head.

When you can find a whole lot of them, it makes having to buy them a lot less

YES.

Chrome Soft line in general. Still haven't locked down a specific one. I tried all year and had great rounds with all three. I originally switched to Callaway back in 2020 when I was selected for the Grandmama. I've been rocking with them ever since. One huge reason besides the actual quality of ball is their development of alignment aides. Triple Track is an absolute game changer and I don't see myself switching balls specifically because of that. Could I play well with any of the tour ball offerings these days? I have no doubt I could. But the performance along with alignment with Callaway balls is unmatched to me and that's not changing any time soon
Interesting you feel comfortable with all three. Knowing what I am giving up playing something other than the LS, that would be tough for me.
Srixon Soft Feel for me. Price and performance combination work nicely for my game. That being said, I do sort of ramble all over the place. I still have a handful of new CSX, CSX LS, and Z-Star XV's that will all be in play next year. Then throw in the found balls in my bag and I wind up playing many different balls. I usually try to stick to the same ball, but if my game is off and I'm losing a lot of balls I'll just grab whatever's in my bag for used and shy away from new.
If my game is crap and I am losing a lot during a round, I will downgrade to something else.

Because it was the fastest golf ball of any that I tested, for two years.

Interesting you feel comfortable with all three. Knowing what I am giving up playing something other than the LS, that would be tough for me.

If my game is crap and I am losing a lot during a round, I will downgrade to something else.
If it came down to it, I would play the LS and be totally okay. But like I said, I've had crazy good rounds with all three this year so I have no idea what I'm doing half the time

I won a fitting with @vgolfman courtesy of Callaway and THP. After answering some questions, and a great conversation with Mr. Vrska, we settled on the Chromesoft with Triple Track.

It's the only ball I've played this year (until fall golf and the leaves took over) and will for the foreseeable future, because it works for me tee to green. I get good distance off the tee. I did a comparison with the X LS for a few rounds, and they were both equal on distance, but I found more fairways with the CS. I like the feel and spin I have on approach, as well as greenside. No issues getting it to hit and stop with a partial wedge if need be, nor have it roll out. Then I get on the green and I love how the Triple Track helps with my alignment.

It does everything I need, and I don't feel like I'm sacrificing in any aspect.

Do you think the extra distance is resulting in lower scores or would a ball that works better around the green do that for you? Could it be technique around the green?

Doesn’t always result in lower scores but has definitely resulted in better opportunities to score. I would say most of the struggles around the green are self inflicted. If the feel was better to me though then there would definitely be an argument for the X. I may give it another shot but maybe not this late in the season.

Most of the year, I played the Tour B XS. It fit perfectly in that not too firm, not too soft spot for me off the putter and gives me a little extra spin I want going into the green.

@OldandStiff and I played alt-shot together at the MC. He plays the CSX-LS. I had a sleeve of CSX LS and gave them a run. I liked it. It feels great of the putter, performs well around and into the greens and gives me a great flight of driver. The “LS” is less spinning than the Tour B XS but not anywhere close to what I expected. It doesn’t sound as firm as the CSX or Pro-V1x that I tried.

The LS is currently my gamer.

I'm convinced that for players like me (clubhead speed, speed and height are all a challenge) nothing else works better than Pro V1x for making the most out of what my swing can do. I've found other balls that are pretty close but none better. And I've certainly tried others that give up one of those elements compared to Pro V1x. So I'll try something else for a little while now and then but always end up back with my old favorite. It's been quite a few years now and each version seems as good as the last (but not particularly better).

It started when an event I played in gave each player a dozen Pro V1x before the weekend started. I had vague memories of the 1st-gen Pro V1x a decade earlier being just horribly unsuited for my game but I figured what the heck, I got these expensive balls and by god I'm going to use them.

I won't claim I played the best golf of my life or anything but the distance and height I got on the driver were very different than I was used to. And a few times over two rounds I actually had wedge shots spin back a foot or two instead of hopping forward. What the heck. So I kind of fell it love with it for a few months after that and ever since it's been the ball I think works best for me.

Back