Why Are You Playing the Ball That You Do?

That sounds brutal.
It's a difficult course. The reason I'm a member is $250/mth for unlimited golf, a gym, Top Tracer range (in bad weather I can hit balls in covered bays...heated in the winter) , grass driving range, pitching range, and a 9 hole short course. The muni's around here charge around $65 a round mid-week. Two rounds at a high end course costs around $250/mth or more. Since I'm at the club almost everyday I can't afford NOT to be a member.

Trial and error mostly. hit ball, ball does what I expect, keep playing that ball.

It's a difficult course. The reason I'm a member is $250/mth for unlimited golf, a gym, Top Tracer range (in bad weather I can hit balls in covered bays...heated in the winter) , grass driving range, pitching range, and a 9 hole short course. The muni's around here charge around $65 a round mid-week. Two rounds at a high end course costs around $250/mth or more. Since I'm at the club almost everyday I can't afford NOT to be a member.
That's a good deal especially with all those amenities.

I have played with different Z-Stars, but never hit a Z Star XV that I can recall. Hit one today for 5 hours at the sim. TP5X had best look over its shoulder, this one may be coming for it. Seems very comparable to the TP5X off the tee, (indoors, further real life testing required) Spin off the irons right where I like it. Meanwhile I had shots like a square faced 55 yard 58* gap wedge that came in at almost exactly 9K spin. I usually don't see much more than 8K spin off a gap at that short range .
I really, really like the feel of this ball. I prefer a firmer ball, and this is a good one.

The Bridgestone e9 became my go-to ball this past summer. Excellent tactile response ensures putts and chips go off with pinpoint precision, exactly as planned. The compression and satisfying "twack" at impact are just right. It's long and straight off the tee. I get tighter dispersion versus most other balls. There's just enough spin on approach and greenside shots to be useful.

I feel in complete command of this ball at all times. There's never a nasty surprise. It just works.

Last edited:
Because the chrome soft x ls gives me the best numbers. I would love to to play the regular chrome soft x because it is really fast off the driver but it spins to much with irons. So the LS is the best option.

I have tried everything it just produces the best numbers for me..

I'm curious why you are playing the ball that you currently do. How did you choose it? What performance aspect is most important to you? Is it greenside spin? Distance off driver or irons? Feel?

I am pretty picky about what I want out of a golf ball and once I find something that works, I stick with it.

If you don't have a regular ball that you play, why not?
I play a Pro V1 because I know what it’s going to do off the tee, and I can expect it to drop and stop on approaches.

ProV1X, went for a fitting as I had played Callaway for awhile as I’m a huge fan of theirs but felt I had been leaving stuff on the table with the ball. Fitting had me in the ProV1X and Z-Star XV but the X feels much better than the XV off the putter and wedges. If rumors are true I’ll be back to Callaway this season with the new ball coming which has me really excited.

Because the chrome soft x ls gives me the best numbers. I would love to to play the regular chrome soft x because it is really fast off the driver but it spins to much with irons. So the LS is the best option.

I have tried everything it just produces the best numbers for me..
I am playing the LS for the same reason—it keep the spin down on my irons. The X spins too much for me on irons as well.
ProV1X, went for a fitting as I had played Callaway for awhile as I’m a huge fan of theirs but felt I had been leaving stuff on the table with the ball. Fitting had me in the ProV1X and Z-Star XV but the X feels much better than the XV off the putter and wedges. If rumors are true I’ll be back to Callaway this season with the new ball coming which has me really excited.
I can’t wait to learn more about the new Callaway ball.

Played the yellow/blue divide for a full round yesterday, Q Star is such a good ball and the divide color pattern is something that I have just grown quite fond of.

Love how I can instantly tell reaction when hitting in to the green by the way it changes spin/color.

I dove into the Chrome Soft family last year. Wanted something with a more concise alignment aid for putting. I’ve since bounced around within - have gamed all three at some point. I usually find myself back with the OG Chrome Soft, Triple Track. I love the feel around the greens. It’s just a very visually pleasing golf ball. I love all of the different Truvis options as well for a fun change of pace.

I’m really excited to see what Callaway has in store.
Same. I moved to Chromesoft X because I have a moderately high swing speed but my delivery produces low spin. The alignment lines are clutch for me though. I built a putter this year that matches the alignment lines and I've never been as consistent on my start lines as I have been since. I really like the ball in general too, but the alignment (without having to mark up the balls myself) is extremely helpful on the course.

I alternate the Prov! , Prov1x and CS. Other than ball peak height I don't see huge differences.

Just did another ballnamic and it recommended the Tour BX so I'm gonna give that a go... Haven't played a bridgestone in a while.

I play it after testing several balls that seem similar to me. Q-Star Tour, Chrome Soft, BRX. All other variables being equal I find that Triad holds it's line on putts better than any other ball .....for me.

It's the best match for my current swing and clubs. That's it. Every year, or month, or round that's what determines it.

I play the CSX LS.

I'm a low spin driver guy that likes a firm ball. That one's not actually low spin off the tee and works well for me with most of the drivers I like.

My irons spin a little bit more than my previous set, and I'm particular about feels and numbers here too. I love that
I can hit the windows I want throughout with this ball. Let's me hit different shots and hit my numbers. I don't lose them in the long/mid irons in the wind or tough conditions, and the hard 9 iron that's kind of a tough shot for just about everyone doesn't overspin in those situations and come up short.

And it's downright amazing on wedge approach. Better than V1x and rivals CSX on full wedge. And it's pretty damn good strong the greens.

It's just a great ball and I love when it fits what I'm playing.
This exactly! Plus I love the Triple Track version!

I play the Z Star and Z Star XV. The Z Star and PV1x perform similar for me off the tee but I prefer the XV because I get that same consistency with quite a bit more distance….at least it feels that way. As far as irons and wedges go, I don’t really notice much of a difference between the 3

Just did another ballnamic and it recommended the Tour BX so I'm gonna give that a go... Haven't played a bridgestone in a while.
Really good ball. I was selected as a tester last year for it and it's a good option for a premium ball.

I like the way it looks.. and plus when I get to the green it is easy to tell which one is mine.

OIP (5).jpgOIP (6).jpg

I alternate between the ProV1 and Snell MTB prime. Both provide similar spin and feel, but the snell is almost 1/3 the price.

Ball fitting performance

It's what I got for Christmas.

I got to test a previous version for a THP ball testing. Always liked them and as I learned more about my swing characteristics, I learned that they were one of the best for me. Been playing the Bridgestone Tour B S for close to 8 years now. Love the feel, distance and spin around the green.

Back