Why Are You Playing the Ball That You Do?

I had been playing lower compression balls and was not completely satisfied. I also did not want to have to spend a lot on golf balls. When the new Mizuno RBMax came out my local golf shop owner recommended them to me. They have been fabulous! I think they are around an 80 compression - and an affordable $30 per dozen. It’s also a SUPER durable ball.

I know I'm an oddball because the two balls I play are similar in terms of spin, but opposite in everything else. -ProV1x and Maxfli Tour S. Both are low spin balls, but one is a high trajectory very hard ball, and the other is a low trajectory, very soft ball. But I love them both!

I play with ProV1x and TP5 because I require spin for many reasons; I found that out during the Club Champion / Titleist trip. I messed around with the bridgestone equivalent as well.

Went through the Ping Ballnamic fitting shortly after it became available. My preferred ball at that time was the Bridgestone Tour BRX. A ball that I’ve enjoyed and had great success with.

One of the balls that was suggested as the best fit for me was the MaxFli Tour ball.

After some more research I tried the MaxFli Tour ball and have really come to like it because of the way it performs for me. It has become my gamer ball. It has the combination of spin, trajectory and feel that I like.

The other reasons I like it are the Center of Gravity marking on the side stamp saves me from having to use the EZ Go Check Pro that I religiously used before. The Quality and consistency is extremely good. It is a very good value among premium Urethane covered golf balls. I really like that you can buy a 4 dozen cube for just over $100 from Dick’s or Golf Galaxy and have it delivered for free to the house.

I’ve also tried the MaxFli Tour X and the new MaxFli Tour S balls. The X ball is firmer, flies higher and spins more. The Tour S is softer, flies lower and spins less. The regular Tour sits right in the middle in terms of spin, trajectory and feel. It is a very good lineup as the three balls are different enough to make it easy to find the one that best suits your game based on trajectory, feel and spin.

Went through the Ping Ballnamic fitting shortly after it became available. My preferred ball at that time was the Bridgestone Tour BRX. A ball that I’ve enjoyed and had great success with.

One of the balls that was suggested as the best fit for me was the MaxFli Tour ball.

After some more research I tried the MaxFli Tour ball and have really come to like it because of the way it performs for me. It has become my gamer ball. It has the combination of spin, trajectory and feel that I like.

The other reasons I like it are the Center of Gravity marking on the side stamp saves me from having to use the EZ Go Check Pro that I religiously used before. The Quality and consistency is extremely good. It is a very good value among premium Urethane covered golf balls. I really like that you can buy a 4 dozen cube for just over $100 from Dick’s or Golf Galaxy and have it delivered for free to the house.

I’ve also tried the MaxFli Tour X and the new MaxFli Tour S balls. The X ball is firmer, flies higher and spins more. The Tour S is softer, flies lower and spins less. The regular Tour sits right in the middle in terms of spin, trajectory and feel. It is a very good lineup as the three balls are different enough to make it easy to find the one that best suits your game based on trajectory, feel and spin.
Did you by chance EZ Go Check the MaxFli Tour ball and found that the Stamp was "Accurate"

Did you by chance EZ Go Check the MaxFli Tour ball and found that the Stamp was "Accurate"
Yes, I have done the EZ Go Check and the epsom salt float test on the MaxFLi Tour balls. There is a strong correlation, but it is not 100%. However it is better than any other brand that I’ve tested.

Most manufacturers do not use any type of center of gravity quality control testing nor do they correlate that with the side stamp.

I'm curious why you are playing the ball that you currently do. How did you choose it? What performance aspect is most important to you? Is it greenside spin? Distance off driver or irons? Feel?

I am pretty picky about what I want out of a golf ball and once I find something that works, I stick with it.

If you don't have a regular ball that you play, why not?

I play Vice drive currently because I got 5 dozen for $14 each. i.e. they were cheap. It's only been recently where I think I need to pay attention to something more than price. Having a ball that spins around the green is fun. That's something my golf game typically doesn't have is noticeable ball spin around the green.

I play the ball that I do because my fitter at ECPC agreed that it was the best ball for my game. I need more spin!

The greens at my club are like ice, so despite having a slight slice, I need to play a high spin ball (TP5x or Kirklands) to have any chance at holding a green. I wish they would slow them down. Donald Ross never imagined they'd be as fast as they are with the contours he built.

I alternate between the ProV1 and Snell MTB prime. Both provide similar spin and feel, but the snell is almost 1/3 the price.
I played for the MTB a few years ago. Cannot be beaten for the price.
I play with ProV1x and TP5 because I require spin for many reasons; I found that out during the Club Champion / Titleist trip. I messed around with the bridgestone equivalent as well.
A fitting does wonders. My dad did one and it opened his eyes to the right ball.
The greens at my club are like ice, so despite having a slight slice, I need to play a high spin ball (TP5x or Kirklands) to have any chance at holding a green. I wish they would slow them down. Donald Ross never imagined they'd be as fast as they are with the contours he built.
My course’s greens were originally bent but are now Bermuda so they are super fast and hard with lots of slope. It makes holding the green a challenge.

I've been playing the ProV1X or the Cally CS X - for the added launch and spin

Great golf balls!

Could Ballnamic be right? I went from having the Pro V1 X before my instruction clinic to the BX... I was getting 250-260 with the BXS yesterday... Today, with the BX...

Screenshot_20231130_131711_TheGrint.jpg

Been playing the vice pro a lot recently, but also I testing chrome soft x ls as well. The Callaway will probably be my ball in 2024

Playing the Kirkland for its combination of price and performance. I was playing Qstar Tour which is a bit longer. But the Kirkland is a bit better around the green.

I play a ball that I perceive to be giving me the longest drives, while have good spin for the short game.

Playing the Kirkland for its combination of price and performance. I was playing Qstar Tour which is a bit longer. But the Kirkland is a bit better around the green.
How much longer do you find the QStar Tour over the Kirkland? I have used the QStar Tour most of the year, tested out the Kirkland and was happy with them as well. Happened to get a buy 2 get 1 free deal on the QStar so I loaded up. Very happy with it, but am always looking for other options.

How much longer do you find the QStar Tour over the Kirkland? I have used the QStar Tour most of the year, tested out the Kirkland and was happy with them as well. Happened to get a buy 2 get 1 free deal on the QStar so I loaded up. Very happy with it, but am always looking for other options.
I found at my very slow swing speed (82 mph driver) the Q Star Tour was 5-7 yards further. I am just running out of my Kirkland V2 so I am curious if the V3 will be longer than the V2.

I found at my very slow swing speed (82 mph driver) the Q Star Tour was 5-7 yards further. I am just running out of my Kirkland V2 so I am curious if the V3 will be longer than the V2.
Thanks for the reply. I have never hit the V2 but did try the V3 and for the price it is a really good ball!

First off, for the price, the Kirkland is a pretty decent ball. I typically keep some in the bag for those days where I just dont have it all clicking.

QStar is my current ball of choice, and it blows the Kirkland out of the water. Distance off the tee is significantly further, feel off the irons is amazing, and the spin on fill irons and wedge shots is just about perfect for what I look for in a ball.

If having to choose, QStar takes the wins the head to head battle, across the board.

Back