Why aren't there any Maltby club reviews?

so for someone needing a 4h that is a high handicapper what is the go to? I want to try 1 out and not spend a ton of cash on something I may not like.

Try a 21 or 23 hyway from Maltby, @Popeye says they are great.

Yes, you can't go wrong with either. Both are great clubs.

I ordered the KE4 4W and the 21* HyWay. I ordered them 2 weeks ago. Just got notified they are finalizing and hopefully will ship today or tomorrow. I leave for vacation on Tuesday (6 days) I hope I get it before I leave. I'll be playing about 5 rounds.

I ordered the KE4 4W and the 21* HyWay. I ordered them 2 weeks ago. Just got notified they are finalizing and hopefully will ship today or tomorrow. I leave for vacation on Tuesday (6 days) I hope I get it before I leave. I'll be playing about 5 rounds.

I love the 4W. What shafts did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the 4W. What shafts did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I went with the MPF Pro. I read that it runs a stiff regular and has a bit of a higher launch than the Kuro Kage. I need that extra launch off the fairways. My driver SS is 92-95 so I figure my swing speed for the 4W would be somewhere in the 88-91 range which falls right into the stiff-regular zone. Also read they were great shafts in their own right and I wouldn't lose anything choosing that over the Kuro Kage.

Soooo....... I went back to PGA SS and did another driver fitting. I went there thinking I was going to buy the Callaway Epic Max because they were on sale for $349. Well. The fitter had me hit the Rogue ST Max, Epic Max, TM M4, Maverick, Ping G410. The Rogue ST Max is an amazing club at $550. I was hitting that club like crazy. I hit the Epic just ok. I was hitting the M4 almost as good as the Rogue. Soo. I bought the M4 for $299. The extra 5 yards wasn't worth the extra $250 for me. Maybe I'm just cheap but my strength is my irons and my short game. I just focus on controlling my push slice. If I do that and get 225-240 total distance I'm happy..

Can't wait for the Maltby KE4 4W and 21* HyWay get here...Hopefully before I leave for vacation.😥

I went with the MPF Pro. I read that it runs a stiff regular and has a bit of a higher launch than the Kuro Kage. I need that extra launch off the fairways. My driver SS is 92-95 so I figure my swing speed for the 4W would be somewhere in the 88-91 range which falls right into the stiff-regular zone. Also read they were great shafts in their own right and I wouldn't lose anything choosing that over the Kuro Kage.
My driver swing speed is about the same, and the MPF pro R flex works great for me in the HyWay and then KE4 4w.

I think you'll like that shaft.

so for someone needing a 4h that is a high handicapper what is the go to? I want to try 1 out and not spend a ton of cash on something I may not like.
Different brand but I'm using the Maverick Max 4h right now and it's an easy hit. Just another option.

Different brand but I'm using the Maverick Max 4h right now and it's an easy hit. Just another option.
They are on sale too.

On the range matt I hit my Ping G30 3H beautifully. On the fairway I can hit it ok. Out of light to medium rough 🤦‍♂️ I'm horrible. Had a par five that had a very narrow window off the tee to a dogleg left that a good driver would run through the fairway. I hit a 5 iron really nice off the tee and tugged it left slightly and landed about 10 feet off the fairway into some rough. Had 100 yards to carry a fairway bunker. Had 235-245 to the green. Tried to lay up to under 100 yds. Just like every time I try to hit the 3H out of any type of rough, I thinned it right into the bunker 🤦‍♂️:mad:. Hit a beautiful 7 iron into the greenside bunker. 🤦‍♂️. Made a bogey.

Would the HyWay be better out of rough?

Yes, I have heard good things about the MPF shafts. But I haven't tried them yet.

As for the Hyway heads I've tinkered with the 21°. A really interesting setup that is smaller front to back but still has a longer C dimension. Very easy to hit with the ball getting up quickly. My only knock is it doesn't feel as solid as the KE4 FW heads. But that may have been shaft choice.
But they are extremely playable from almost any lie.

I've had the KE4 Max irons in play for about 8 rounds now. For an UGI design it's kind of a shock how well they play over all. As a 'better' player I'm a near forged head snob. This normally isn't a design I would even consider gaming. I ordered a set as soon as they come out, I bought them for a customer who backed out. So I put the set together with RTi 105 S shafts. Only the 4i has a 95g shaft.
The topline can scare off a lot of people with its thickness but I always feel that disappears if it plays well. As a career digger I find these as smooth through the turf as possible with out getting in the way or the iron playing clunky. Quite frankly the iron far surpasses my expectations. I can routinely shoot a stroke or two over par and can even go low. These irons certainly are not holding me back.
On a never before seen course at 6500 yards I shot a 4 over. Extremely tight Fairways with water on many holes, accuracy was a must. I had 4 true kick in birdies. Dead online to the flag all day long. I've found the short irons to have superb distance control. Being a new course I soley relied on distances, I was well rewarded. There is zero and I mean zero hint of a hot face of the occasional flyer as seen in some UGI designs.
With the lower sole width my only concession is to make sure I have a forward press when striking the ball. Which for me does nothing but promote crisp irons.
The long irons a super easy to play. Again I've not seen any flyers. Repeatedly straight flight with good ball control. They are modern loft strong but not ridiculously so.
With the weight port in the iron you can adjust to Any swing weight.
This iron can appeal to very broad spectrum. They feel great for being cast as well.
I've been doing non stop testing and that can play havoc with my swing. These have been a great help with my consistency.
The pictures represent the M890 and the Ke4 Max. So you see that even though the KE4 is a UGI it has pretty modest dimensions compared to the M890 which has absolutely maximum forgiveness.
If the KE4 Max topline was a bit smaller this iron would talk to a ton of players. For the price this is a really tough design to knock. I highly recommend a test iron in your favorite shaft.

Attachments

• 20220802_084718.jpg
    20220802_084718.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220802_084642.jpg
    20220802_084642.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 29
Popeye, the KE4 MAX have been in my bag for a few rounds now, and I'd agree that they are a great club. They don't look like shovels, and they just seem to want to go straight. No fliers here yet, but the sample size isn't huge.

@goalie what has most impressed me is the accuracy of the 8-Gw. In the past three rounds I've had more kick in birdies than I can remember. I don't record proximity to the hole but if I did I'm sure that Stat would be a standout.
In back to back days I went from spongy wet, but high quality turf... to dried out cripsy Fairways. The adaptability was near seemless.
I can honestly see this set spending a lot of time in the bag.
If I get lazy with my swing and catch turf first I can certainly feel it in my hands. The results do fall off but I'm still finding the green. It's just not that crisp, stop in a foot result.
If guys can swallow an ego I think they will find these to be a great iron. I for one would have been in that category and not given them a fair shake.

I'm having great results with the short irons and PW/GW as well. The slightly heavier Rapport shafts seem to be getting along with my swing.

Back