Why aren't there any Maltby club reviews?

This is genuine and true. People that enjoy these clubs like them to be different. They like that they are cheap. Any marketing or mainstream or even a bit of cost rise where they are close to the same price as mainstream brands would result in the small vocal group having less interest.

I have to agree. These are two of the reasons why I was drawn to the brand. And it's not like every club they sell is a good fit. I bought a 6i earlier in the year for my first build, but that particular model (MMB-17) wasn't a good fit. It's a beautiful iron IMO and fun to practice with, but I can't hit it well enough to buy and build the rest of the set.

The only Maltby reviews I see are from Fit2you Golf on Youtube. Dave, the owner of the site is a club builder who reviews all of their products. He has helped me to decide on several of their clubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't generally put much weight on what works or doesn't work for others. But I will say that Dave from Fit2You is objective (he doesn't love every Maltby product he tests), and is clear that his reviews pertain to his likes or dislikes only - not what he thinks others will experience. He's a mid-capper and doesn't hit his clubs a mile, so I feel his opinions may be slightly more relative. In any case, I enjoy his videos and his opinions have influenced my decisions.

New addition.
c8ceac1afa17036feb4c3e2aa4fb7314.jpg

79c05d923f63aa2bb265f70f238c8b41.jpg

41deebd4200d38730e5f544cf91327fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These pics actually look better than the product pics on the Golfworks website. Very nice looking club there. I hope you hit it well!

But I will say that Dave from Fit2You is objective (he doesn't love every Maltby product he tests), and is clear that his reviews pertain to his likes or dislikes only - not what he thinks others will experience. He's a mid-capper and doesn't hit his clubs a mile, so I feel his opinions may be slightly more relative. In any case, I enjoy his videos and his opinions have influenced my decisions.

A couple of things I like about Dave @ Fit2You are #1 he's funny and #2 he's even more of a cheapskate than I am.

Dave

I took advantage of near free shipping and have a couple clubs coming. Post COVID economic impact I've generally kept golf expenditures to a minimum.

#1 FDI 3 hybrid with stock Score LT shaft trimmed to R at standard 3 iron length (39"). I have a FDI 2 hybrid with the Maltby MPF shaft, but am striking it inconsistently and I think the stock length (40.5") may be a reason why. I like the TE forged 4 iron with DG R300 taper tip soft stepped and have always liked 3 irons. When I was a kid I couldn't hit a wood to save my life so my default club was a Wilson GE 1200 3 iron. I teed off with it and if I was too far away would hit 3 iron again. I sucked at golf then (like I don't now, pffft) but it was fun. Plus I'll get the forgiveness of the hybrid construction. I have 816 H1 hybrids, but hit them higher than ideal. I think the steel shaft will help me find my groove.

#2 56 Glider again with stock Score LT shaft. I have not had much luck at all out of bunkers this year. I was considering the Cleveland Smart Sole, but given I already wanted to buy the FDI so adding $39.99 + tax for the Glider seemed like an equivalent move. I'm hopeful this will be better for me out of the sand and rough. The Score will be lighter for a shaft than the DGs, but the Maltby wedge heads are heavy. I don't want to take a super heavy head (310g vs 291g TE forged GW) and add a heavy shaft to it. This should keep the total club weight in a similar ballpark.

Dave

New addition.
c8ceac1afa17036feb4c3e2aa4fb7314.jpg

79c05d923f63aa2bb265f70f238c8b41.jpg

41deebd4200d38730e5f544cf91327fb.jpg

The black V2 shaft is stunning. Beautiful club. I hope it plays as good as it looks.

The black V2 shaft is stunning. Beautiful club. I hope it plays as good as it looks.

So far so good. I only took it out to the range so far, but I hit it better than any hybrid I have had in the past. Hopefully I will be able to get similar results on the course.

Hit my Maltby #2 utility driving iron 3 times in a 9 hole round late yesterday, 2 off the deck and 1 off the tee and this is hands down a winner! I may even order a #3 and use it in place of my 5 iron.

On one of the hits, I teed up and hit it right at 200 yards picture perfect in a dogleg. One deck hit was nice at around 185. The other I did not hit as well and hit low but carried pretty good. Can't wait to get this out there again and hit it some more.

This is genuine and true. People that enjoy these clubs like them to be different. They like that they are cheap. Any marketing or mainstream or even a bit of cost rise where they are close to the same price as mainstream brands would result in the small vocal group having less interest.

The way I look at it is that everyone's welcome to come into the tent. The more successful the Golfworks is selling Maltby equipment the better it is for the consumer who likes their products.

I think this is true for fans of nearly every brand, particularly in the world of golf. One of the rare exceptions I'd guess are those items that are status symbols: high end watches, cars, etc... I don't know if that exists in the golf space or not. Maybe high end exclusive JDM products being used in the USA? If you have them and someone else in your foursome does as well I'd guess it could be strange.

Dave

Hit my Maltby #2 utility driving iron 3 times in a 9 hole round late yesterday, 2 off the deck and 1 off the tee and this is hands down a winner! I may even order a #3 and use it in place of my 5 iron.

On one of the hits, I teed up and hit it right at 200 yards picture perfect in a dogleg. One deck hit was nice at around 185. The other I did not hit as well and hit low but carried pretty good. Can't wait to get this out there again and hit it some more.

Bombing it! Great to hear.... I have a 3H 21* coming in soon. I'll check in once I have it in hand.

Dave

OP UPDATE:

I ordered a set of the Maltby Forged TSW wedges (54 and 58) with my standard KBS TGI shafts. They should be here next week and am psyched to get them out to the range and try them out.

Arrived today is a set of TS-2 pre-built with the KBS Tour 105... which will be getting pulled tonight. 4-GW for $399. Couldn't pass it up. Ill put the KBS shafts on ebay.
Ill be installing Avalon i9 in the Pw-8, Avalon i8 in the 7-6. 5 and 4 iron will get the 75g Rapid Tapers. The wedges will get the 105g spin wedges. That will be a great weight progression throughout the set. It will allow me to really launch the upper end of the bag. The lower end with the added weight will be super stable. With trimming you get sort of a constant weighted shaft ser. I used to build all the Tour X shafts that way till they went away. Now with the new gear that's arrived I can get back to this type of building.
This should be a fun set.
2c224e15d05cb02954881a561afd6521.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Golfworks posted the KBS Tour 105 stiff's are trimmed to roughly a 4.0 flex, quite soft. Regular flex guys could potentially buy the TS1/TS2 pak with KBS Tour 105 stiff and play them fine.

Dave

Golfworks posted the KBS Tour 105 stiff's are trimmed to roughly a 4.0 flex, quite soft. Regular flex guys could potentially buy the TS1/TS2 pak with KBS Tour 105 stiff and play them fine.

Dave
Where did you read this? Thats a reg flex at best.

I looked at the KBS trimming guide and posted a question on the TS2/KBS product page.

Dave

I looked at the KBS trimming guide and posted a question on the TS2/KBS product page.

Dave
I have played Tour 105 S in the past and trimmed by the chart they definitely did not play soft.

Dave
Ir2 is the standard tip trimming for the Tour 105 shafts. Not sure why they would play soft. Are you sure the 4.0 rating is not just something KBS uses for a stiff?
I was going to pull these shafts right away but now you have me curious.

I'm happy with the TE forged, but the TS1/TS2 offering is a smoking deal. I was curious how stiff the KBS 105 is.

I'm a ~ 75 mph 7 iron kind of guy. I have used the KBS Tour 90 R flex in irons before. I hate that shaft, hate it more than any other iron shaft I've ever used. It feels like a complete noodle. I looked at the specs for parallel trim and I can see why! Standard trimming is 3.0 flex and that's probably how the set I had was setup.

I'm using Dynamic Gold R300 in taper tip now, soft stepped 1X. They feel really nice.

I'm sticking w/the TE.

Dave

Ir2 is the standard tip trimming for the Tour 105 shafts. Not sure why they would play soft. Are you sure the 4.0 rating is not just something KBS uses for a stiff?
I was going to pull these shafts right away but now you have me curious.

Open the trimming chart from the KBS site. KBS 105 is towards the end. You can trim the 105 parallel tip to a range of 4.0/5.5.

Dave

Look what Fed Ex dropped off today! New forged TSW wedges. Will get them on the range one day this week!

Attachments

• Maltby Wedges.jpg
    Maltby Wedges.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 44
Arrived today is a set of TS-2 pre-built with the KBS Tour 105... which will be getting pulled tonight. 4-GW for $399. Couldn't pass it up. Ill put the KBS shafts on ebay.
Ill be installing Avalon i9 in the Pw-8, Avalon i8 in the 7-6. 5 and 4 iron will get the 75g Rapid Tapers. The wedges will get the 105g spin wedges. That will be a great weight progression throughout the set. It will allow me to really launch the upper end of the bag. The lower end with the added weight will be super stable. With trimming you get sort of a constant weighted shaft ser. I used to build all the Tour X shafts that way till they went away. Now with the new gear that's arrived I can get back to this type of building.
This should be a fun set.
2c224e15d05cb02954881a561afd6521.jpg

Let us know how they are....

Im going to start a detailed thread on this one. Ill weight each shaft after its cut, swing weight them once built. Then ill gi through the set and see how dispersion and feel work out.
I have my 85g shafted PTMs that ill use as some kind of a bench mark since they have been spot on for me.
Should be fun. I'll habe to wait for the spin wedges to arrive but I can start the build out this week.

I'm happy with the TE forged, but the TS1/TS2 offering is a smoking deal. I was curious how stiff the KBS 105 is.

I'm a ~ 75 mph 7 iron kind of guy. I have used the KBS Tour 90 R flex in irons before. I hate that shaft, hate it more than any other iron shaft I've ever used. It feels like a complete noodle. I looked at the specs for parallel trim and I can see why! Standard trimming is 3.0 flex and that's probably how the set I had was setup.

I'm using Dynamic Gold R300 in taper tip now, soft stepped 1X. They feel really nice.

I'm sticking w/the TE.

Dave
Seems odd that shaft would feel that flexible at that swing speed, yet it may be you have a aggressive attack range that causes that. What is important is what works and feels right for you and gives you the desired outcome.

Seems odd that shaft would feel that flexible at that swing speed, yet it may be you have a aggressive attack range that causes that. What is important is what works and feels right for you and gives you the desired outcome.

The way I see it is that "you have to be you" and find things that work. You find things that don't work along the way and it helps lead you towards things that do.

There are a lot of people that think the KBS 90 plays soft to flex.

Dave

The bonus of them is that their club building facility, shipping warehouse is about 25 miles from my house. I've bought some grips, shaft tips etc from them and I just go shopping there in person instead of paying shipping.

The bonus of them is that their club building facility, shipping warehouse is about 25 miles from my house. I've bought some grips, shaft tips etc from them and I just go shopping there in person instead of paying shipping.
Lucky sob.

Back