Why aren't there any Maltby club reviews?

Thanks for the write up! BTW, dealing with a swing speed of around 90-95 would that be more along the lines of the STi2, or better choice the Tour TC? I don't mind getting one of each to try if needed. I hit my 5 wood fair but not so the 3 wood. Currently my 5 wood has been the overall better performer.

If I swing my socks out of my shoes I can hit my 3 wood as I think it gets the compression needed, but at my age that would end up doing permanent damage and so far it just ain't working. o_O I like something for off the fairway and out of the rought which might be the TC Tour hybrid, but not sure at my swing speeds.

I currently have a Maltby FDI #2 at 19 degrees. That has been my deck iron from the rough when I need that low shot 185-200 yard and sometimes it is perfect for those 200+ yard doglegs off the tee, but I don't get any height on it much at all from the rough and can be risky shot with too much run out sometimes.
You are definitely Tour TC guy. Your complaints about the FDI would be a non issue with the TC.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

How this thread could be seen as "attacking" I can't even begin to understand. If that's attacking then what happens on that site just down the dial I don't know what you'd call.

Anyways... played yesterday and it was a pretty awful round truth be told, but still scored a 46 which is about my average.

Maltby clubs:
  • I blistered a Tour TC off a fairway lie on a long approach shot, absolutely smashed by my standards, and it bounced off a rock hard green bounding to the fringe. You hope to get rewarded better than that for outstanding strikes.
  • I've hit the TE forged irons well this season, but not yesterday.
  • I didn't hit the FDI 3 hybrid well either. I came up way short on a par 3 partially due to strike and partially to do with wind. I think 'm going to have to take this one out and replace with a traditional hybrid. I have Titleist 816 H1s in various lofts that I'll put in.
  • My just received M-Series+ wedge 56 degree tour grind was on point. I had 2 up/downs with it and 2 more that left 8-10 foot putts that I missed. I had lots of practice as I didn't hit a single green in regulation.
Dave

Last edited:
The skeptic in me wants to say its because Maltby isn't going to send out free clubs for everyone to test and isn't going to sponsor golf magazines and forums. Id also that that due to no tour prescence and no real hype behind them, Maltbys simple don't have the sex appeal that other brands do, so no one really cares.
In many ways, getting favorable press in the golf industry is a pay for play kind of thing and companies like Maltby just aren't big enough to be giving out product for free and doing sponsorships.
Ive personally never used anything Maltby but you always hear people who do use them and very much like their products.

The skeptic in me wants to say its because Maltby isn't going to send out free clubs for everyone to test and isn't going to sponsor golf magazines and forums. Id also that that due to no tour prescence and no real hype behind them, Maltbys simple don't have the sex appeal that other brands do, so no one really cares.
In many ways, getting favorable press in the golf industry is a pay for play kind of thing and companies like Maltby just aren't big enough to be giving out product for free and doing sponsorships.
Ive personally never used anything Maltby but you always hear people who do use them and very much like their products.
This isn’t accurate in even the least bit.

But outside of being a website owner or reviewer it’s no different than what those in here are condemning. Offering something without ever experiencing it.

And for the record, the gear has been sent to us....numerous times.

You are definitely Tour TC guy. Your complaints about the FDI would be a non issue with the TC.

After looking at these some more, I am thinking maybe Tour TC 17 and 19 hopefully would fill the gap between my 5 iron and almost to the driver. My concern is I won't get the 17 to reach out there off the tee as far as my 3 wood 14.5 degrees, but then if it is more accurate and consistent that is what really counts.

My 5 wood is 18.5 degrees and I hit that pretty good most of the time. I have knocked it out there at 220 off the tee, but my average carry for it is around 200 ish. I wonder if it is realistic to expect 10 more yards out of 1.5 degree difference on good hits with a hybrid.

Nearly everyone who frequents the forum is a golf fanatic. Most people here also are likely have a reasonable disposable income. Golf fanatic + disposable income = wanting what they feel is the best.

Not many people are going to think that what is the best costs 30-40% of the brand new Taylormade / Callaway who advertise heavily and are played on tour.

If Maltby gave away equipment on the forum then yes I think they'd be more highly thought of. Get the equipment in people's hands who have an open mind and they might like it. They also may not like it, but at least then they'd have given it a try. I've seen very few items on any golf forum that are giveaways get slammed.

There are things the Golfworks does to themselves too:
  • Nearly zero advertising.
  • The web site photos are not as flattering as they could be.
  • The heads are a true value, but shafts are full retail price and no one else in the industry does full retail on shafts in assembled clubs.
  • There's little to no independent testing. Per what JB said they do send clubs into THP, but there is minimal staff feedback. I'm not aware of them sending any clubs into other sites testing either.
  • Getting fit for their equipment is not easy. There is no network, etc... I've seen on the web site that identifies fitters.
  • I suspect Dick's/Golf Galaxy wants to keep Golfwork's club presence to be minimal to avoid upset large OEMs who want big $$$ for clubs.

It is what it is. If you have a healthy golf budget and want what is on tour go with big OEM. If you want an outstanding value for the dollar on custom fit clubs maybe Maltby is for you. If you fit into off the rack clubs and don't need custom fit then closeout, used, or Maltby are probably not dissimilar cost.

People come into the thread and think Maltby users have a chip on their shoulder, but I think the incident a couple pages ago might not be the Maltby users who have the chip on their shoulder after all...

Dave

After looking at these some more, I am thinking maybe Tour TC 17 and 19 hopefully would fill the gap between my 5 iron and almost to the driver. My concern is I won't get the 17 to reach out there off the tee as far as my 3 wood 14.5 degrees, but then if it is more accurate and consistent that is what really counts.

My 5 wood is 18.5 degrees and I hit that pretty good most of the time. I have knocked it out there at 220 off the tee, but my average carry for it is around 200 ish. I wonder if it is realistic to expect 10 more yards out of 1.5 degree difference on good hits with a hybrid.
Its not entirely out of the question to fill your gap.. but a 14.5 3 wood is a tough club to master. To me thats near a tee only club unless your swingspeed is way up there. 16 or 17° is where most of us mean mortals need to stop. The difference in quality of shot goes way up when you do. So now you are chipping into the green from the front fringe instead of off to the side in the weeds.

Its not entirely out of the question to fill your gap.. but a 14.5 3 wood is a tough club to master. To me thats near a tee only club unless your swingspeed is way up there. 16 or 17° is where most of us mean mortals need to stop. The difference in quality of shot goes way up when you do. So now you are chipping into the green from the front fringe instead of off to the side in the weeds.

Thanks for the response. My 3 wood is as you state "near a tee only club" that is why I struggle with it being a worthwhile club to only hit a shot off the tee once in a while. I prefer quality shots.

Has anyone configured a combo set with the TS2’s 4-6 and TS1 7-PW? If so was there any gapping issues? Any loft adjustments? Thinking about going to the TS1 in the shorter irons. Thanks in advance.

Has anyone configured a combo set with the TS2’s 4-6 and TS1 7-PW? If so was there any gapping issues? Any loft adjustments? Thinking about going to the TS1 in the shorter irons. Thanks in advance.
I actually bagged that combo for a 3 or 4 month run.
The TS-2 6 is at 27°. The TS-1 7 is at 32. Its a 5° gap with out bending anything and the gap never bothered me as I just dealt with the numbers and either hit a draw to gain a bit or a cut to take a few off. Personally my thought on bending lofts strong or weak is that now you have compromised the irons design. But thats just me.
You could certain tweak the lofts a bit to close that gap.
My issue with the TS-2 short irons was they went way too far for me. So i swapped in those TS-1s. But I could never get comfortable with them. One of the only iron heads I have struggled with in recent years. Stellar one day and then all over the place the next. Im sure it was just some sort of mental short circuit. Because when good they were amazing.
So I dropped back to a traditional gapping of 4° on each head with the PTMs and the world was right again.

Any using and have comments on the MPF Pro series shafts?

Any using and have comments on the MPF Pro series shafts?

I have it in R flex in a FDI 2H. Truth be told I have not hit that club particularly well. I find it very difficult to consistently strike a club that long that is an iron shape. The shaft is not the problem though.

I think it plays like a true mid profile. People say it is more stout than average. I'm not sure. I find it stable and a little stronger than the R flex Diamana S+ (blue board) that was in the 816 H1s. I like the Aldila NV better than the MPF, I find the it more tip stiff and doesn't flex much.

If I recall you swing harder than me and are probably looking at a stiff so my opinion may be of limited use.

Dave

I actually bagged that combo for a 3 or 4 month run.
The TS-2 6 is at 27°. The TS-1 7 is at 32. Its a 5° gap with out bending anything and the gap never bothered me as I just dealt with the numbers and either hit a draw to gain a bit or a cut to take a few off. Personally my thought on bending lofts strong or weak is that now you have compromised the irons design. But thats just me.
You could certain tweak the lofts a bit to close that gap.
My issue with the TS-2 short irons was they went way too far for me. So i swapped in those TS-1s. But I could never get comfortable with them. One of the only iron heads I have struggled with in recent years. Stellar one day and then all over the place the next. Im sure it was just some sort of mental short circuit. Because when good they were amazing.
So I dropped back to a traditional gapping of 4° on each head with the PTMs and the world was right again.

I think I’ll just have order the 7-GW and have them bent a degree or 2 strong if the gapping is an issue. Thanks for your input Popeye.

I have 5-7 TS-2 and 8-PW- TS-1 in bag now. I have the TS-2 in 8-9-PW as well and have played them.. Just like Popeye- they can be VERY good. Not sure I am any better with the TS-1. Not any worse right now. I am interested in doing some shaft comparing. Always messing w/ Something I guess.

Expecting a set of KE4 Tour+ to arrive tomorrow and be played on Saturday. I will start a new thread as a Maltby review. Looking forward to putting them in play, they will be the most modern clubs I’ve gamed.

Expecting a set of KE4 Tour+ to arrive tomorrow and be played on Saturday. I will start a new thread as a Maltby review. Looking forward to putting them in play, they will be the most modern clubs I’ve gamed.
You should really like those. Very forgiving and solid. Make sure you tighten up all the weights first.

Sounds like I should have got the triangle wrench, oops

I have to compliment 2 recent purchases I've made.

First, the KE4 Tour TC hybrid. I have a 17* that I'm using as a fairway wood replacement mostly for 2nd shots on par 5s. This thing is an absolute rock launcher. Sometimes I struggle with hybrids off a fairway type lie, but this one is working great for me. I really like the NV R flex shaft too.

Second, the M-Series+ wedge in 56 loft with the tour sole. It's a shame this is going away, but maybe the version they come out with next will be better. I had 2 GIRs with this club tonight. My par 5 recipe is Driver (Taylormade M3, love it), Tour TC 2H, and then 56 M-Series+.

Dave

I hope you like them. I’ve had the 7-GW for several months and they’ve been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FedEx, which is very concerned about the names of football teams, has been saying for 4 days, they would be delivered today. Seems unlikely given they have been at a sorting center for the last 14 hours and are still 100 miles away.

I took the M-Series+ Mid 56° for its first round today. I like the feel of it, and it felt good around the greens with the Titleist Velocity ball. I need to see how it does with the OnCore Avant55.

626b1851d40b47fbbe975f1ae1f72f5c.jpg

186d84625b9722a7c33705abc24c66a0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took the M-Series+ Mid 56° for its first round today. I like the feel of it, and it felt good around the greens with the Titleist Velocity ball. I need to see how it does with the OnCore Avant55.

626b1851d40b47fbbe975f1ae1f72f5c.jpg

186d84625b9722a7c33705abc24c66a0.jpg

I love mine and may buy another as a spare as they will cycle out soon.

I wasn’t aware they were going away. Now I am really glad I picked one up.

I wasn’t aware they were going away. Now I am really glad I picked one up.

I dont know that for sure but someone posted that the other day. Its a wedge for everyone with all the options.

Back