Why aren't there any Maltby club reviews?

@goalie and @Popeye your reviews have me considering a GW through 6i set of the KE4 Max. Great information. Thanks.
They're stupid easy to hit. 6i is my longest iron, and I'm really liking the GW and PW, other than everything going about 10-15 yards further than my HL4 irons.

I think I'm finally getting my distances down, but it's been a few weeks of being on the back edge or over greens.

I haven't gotten along with the 8i I built to test before building out the rest of the set. It feels a bit hard to me. Clicky. I also have to be careful not to overswing. I've only had a few days with it so far. MMT 70R shaft. I shafted up the PW tonight with a RT95 stiff. We'll see how much I like that shaft instead with these.

Jury is still out, but I have to say that a good smooth swing has produced good results. High and straight. Trying to step on one is where I get in trouble with them.

I haven't gotten along with the 8i I built to test before building out the rest of the set. It feels a bit hard to me. Clicky. I also have to be careful not to overswing. I've only had a few days with it so far. MMT 70R shaft. I shafted up the PW tonight with a RT95 stiff. We'll see how much I like that shaft instead with these.

Jury is still out, but I have to say that a good smooth swing has produced good results. High and straight. Trying to step on one is where I get in trouble with them.
Hmmm, that makes me glad I went with the heavier Rapport shafts in them. I need graphite because of shoulder injuries/surgeries and these are giving good results and a soft (for cast) feel. I wonder if the lighter UST shaft in my HL4s would have given me issues as well with these heads???

Hmmm, that makes me glad I went with the heavier Rapport shafts in them. I need graphite because of shoulder injuries/surgeries and these are giving good results and a soft (for cast) feel. I wonder if the lighter UST shaft in my HL4s would have given me issues as well with these heads???
I play Miyazaki's in my Clevelands, so the lighter weight shouldn't be much of a problem. The RT's are 20g more than the MMTs so I guess I'll find out. The Rapport intrigues me but the lack of reviews makes me hesitant. I already have the RTs and got the MMTs for a legit steal (like $100 5-G), but I don't think they're my jam. Will probably sell them and pick up something different, likely the Rapport.

I play Miyazaki's in my Clevelands, so the lighter weight shouldn't be much of a problem. The RT's are 20g more than the MMTs so I guess I'll find out. The Rapport intrigues me but the lack of reviews makes me hesitant. I already have the RTs and got the MMTs for a legit steal (like $100 5-G), but I don't think they're my jam. Will probably sell them and pick up something different, likely the Rapport.
I picked them on a whim after reading about how they "pure" the shafts. I've said on here before that I'm apparently a "regular" swing guy, and I get along with a lot of R flex shafts. The Rapport in R flex is no different, but the feel is amazing for me.

I'd be interested in what you think, as I don't know of anyone else using them. ;)

Make sure you are striking the ball first with a touch of fwd shaft lean. World of difference when you do. My swing fault is I can get my hands behind the ball at contact leading to low contact on the face and basically hitting a fat shot because of sole to ground contact just before ball contact. You'll feel it instantly in your hands. It will give a dead sort of feel. But the irons are so forgiving you are not penalized. It's just a shot that will roll out a bit when it hits the green.
Give a bit of fwd shaft lean and strike the ball first. That's how these irons come to life. See with a narrow sole blade I can get away with that Shot because the sole barely interacts with the turf. But it leads to even worse contact that I don't pick up till I'm a train wreck.
These KE4s have helped me with ball striking to be honest.

Any updates on availability of the TS3 and TS4 irons from Maltby? I’m pretty interested in trying one of each and then build a set..
I think it's still 1st of the year for the TS3 and then mid year for the TS4. Those heads a way behind on development.

My admission: I got fit into Titleist T300 and I love them. My gut tells me the KE4 Max are the same head.

My admission: I got fit into Titleist T300 and I love them. My gut tells me the KE4 Max are the same head.
Maltby doesn't do clones. They may have similar performance characteristics, but they're definitely not the same club.

Make sure you are striking the ball first with a touch of fwd shaft lean. World of difference when you do. My swing fault is I can get my hands behind the ball at contact leading to low contact on the face and basically hitting a fat shot because of sole to ground contact just before ball contact. You'll feel it instantly in your hands. It will give a dead sort of feel. But the irons are so forgiving you are not penalized. It's just a shot that will roll out a bit when it hits the green.
Give a bit of fwd shaft lean and strike the ball first. That's how these irons come to life. See with a narrow sole blade I can get away with that Shot because the sole barely interacts with the turf. But it leads to even worse contact that I don't pick up till I'm a train wreck.
[/QUOTEMMT

Frustrating round today, but that's another story (shot +1 yesterday and followed up with a+18 today). Anyway, did get to hit the PW I built last night with the RT95. Long, high, and straight. Definitely like these shafts better than the MMTs. Still think I could be better suited with a n R flex vs the stiffs I have (which I got from you @Popeye a while back) I'm thinking an 85R might be the ticket. Better feel for sure, but still very solid/hard. Tried the forward press as suggested. At the very least it convinced me to keep trying with the KE4 max to find the right combo. Caught one way out on the toe and the ball still went a long damn way and straight. The forgiveness is for real. Might do up the7i tonight for tomorrow's round.

I might have an 85 R flex in the demo pile.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I might have an 85 R flex in the demo pile.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
If you do, let me know. If not, no biggie. I'm probably going to build the set out with what I have, sell off the MMT, and order 6 more shafts in regular.

Maltby doesn't do clones. They may have similar performance characteristics, but they're definitely not the same club.
I apologize for not being clear. I’m a longtime Maltby fan and prior to my Titleist irons, I was all Maltby except for woods.

The KE4 Max not clones by any stretch, but have a lot in common with T300. An SGI with a players look and refined cosmetics. And the adjustability is genius.

Soooo... My future son-in-law needed irons badly. I introduced him to Golfworks. He purchased a set of STi2's 5-GW in the standard pak and R flex. He got them the day before I got my 21* HyWay and KE 4 TC 4W. We went to the range last night.

1. The 4W and HyWay performed very nicely. With me and fairway woods and hybrids, lets just say it's the Indian and not the arrow. I tend to top my FW and Hybrids. When I really focused I hit these clubs very well either straight or a very slight fade. They feel very nice when I hit them;)

2. I also tried out the STi2's...My future S-I-L isn't that tall so he had the shafts cut -1/4" and at R flex. I'm 5'11" My current set is TM Sim2 Max with KBS MAX 85 S flex. I hit all the clubs in the bag and let me say, at address, the STi2 head is much nicer with a much thinner top line. The Sim2 are thick. I'm not bothered by that but I was really taken on how nice these irons are at address. Being the flex and length I was expecting to hit these irons equal to one higher. The Sim2 7i is 28.5* loft and the STi2 7i is 32* of loft (Hit the STi2 8i same as my Sim2 9i). Well, that didn't happen. I was hitting these irons roughly same distances and the STi2 felt buttery. If my Sim2's weren't only a year old I would definitely game these irons.

I think I may have 8i or 7i built in the KE4 S, KE4 +, TS2 and the KE4 Max and play each club and see which I like best and just build a set or just have Golfworks assemble them.

Last edited:

Just wanted to follow up on this. The KE4 Max is a different iron all together with the RT95. I built the PW and 7i and put them in play this weekend. Game changer. Long, high, and straight. Shaft feels fantastic. Not every strike was the best, but I was finding the center a whole lot. 7i is about 5yds shy of my current 6i. That's good because I need the distance. They're still very solid, but that harsh clicky-ness is gone. I'm going to pull the MMT from the 8i and build up the rest of the set. I'm thinking an MOI build based off one of the 2 clubs I have built. Super stoked to have these work out. I was ready to write these off. That would have been a mistake.

And of course I went to shaft up the rest of the set tonight and of course the tip of the 9i shaft is broken. Didn't notice until I went to afix the head. Left about half the tip buried in the head.... Now the fun to get it out (and find a replacement shaft). Always something.

Just wanted to follow up on this. The KE4 Max is a different iron all together with the RT95. I built the PW and 7i and put them in play this weekend. Game changer. Long, high, and straight. Shaft feels fantastic. Not every strike was the best, but I was finding the center a whole lot. 7i is about 5yds shy of my current 6i. That's good because I need the distance. They're still very solid, but that harsh clicky-ness is gone. I'm going to pull the MMT from the 8i and build up the rest of the set. I'm thinking an MOI build based off one of the 2 clubs I have built. Super stoked to have these work out. I was ready to write these off. That would have been a mistake.
That is interesting to me. I thought they felt great, and was surprised at how you thought they felt harsh. And I'm a two shoulder-surgery wuss when it comes to "harsh" feeling irons. They just want to go high and straight, but I've had really good luck with shaft lean and low runners with the 7i from the trees.

And of course I went to shaft up the rest of the set tonight and of course the tip of the 9i shaft is broken. Didn't notice until I went to afix the head. Left about half the tip buried in the head.... Now the fun to get it out (and find a replacement shaft). Always something.
I have drilled a few of those out, a real pain. You might be able to get screw into the shaft and heat it up like a removal then use pliers to pull the broken part out.

I have drilled a few of those out, a real pain. You might be able to get screw into the shaft and heat it up like a removal then use pliers to pull the broken part out.
Yeah that's the plan. If that doesn't work, I'll drill out what I can carefully and then use the hosel clean out tool.

That is interesting to me. I thought they felt great, and was surprised at how you thought they felt harsh. And I'm a two shoulder-surgery wuss when it comes to "harsh" feeling irons. They just want to go high and straight, but I've had really good luck with shaft lean and low runners with the 7i from the trees.
Could have been the shaft, but could have been my contact that day. Either way, their working for me now.

screw, heat, pull, scrape.

Easy peasy my @$$. Took me a couple hours last night to get the broken tip out. To be fair, I was being overly cautious to not jack up the head and have this one iron end up costing me about 50% of what I paid for the entire set. Finally got it cleaned up to my satisfaction, but I certainly don't want to have to do that again any time soon. New shaft should be here later this week, so I'll be able to pull the MMT out of the test 8i and get it plus the 9i shafted up. Maybe I can get them in play Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

Once I get finished tinkering with the KE4, I'm going to pull the shafts out of my Cleveland Launcher CBX and redo that set. The Miyazaki shafts are decent in them, but I like the feel of the RT's better. Course that would require reaming out the hosels to accept a .370 or tapering the shafts to fit the heads. Haven't done either prior, to should be an interesting project. I have an old set of Srixon I701's that could get the treatment instead. Depends on how brave I feel :LOL:

Back