Why aren't there any Maltby club reviews?

Thanks for the input. I like easy to hit! I'm contemplating ordering it with a Tensei Blue stiff shaft. I might also just order the TE Forged 5 iron which should also fill the gap. I just like hitting hybrids.

The TE forged 5 iron may gap quite well for you, there's 4* gap by design so as long as you can make good contact and have enough launch I think it would work.

Dave

Been playing building Maltby models for years. However, the last few I have played and tinkered with other brands. After watching all these post pics and @Popeye reviews I am about to order several new Maltby club heads. Keep looking at their latest catalog they sent me and I think its time to create another bag (don't tell the wife :)).

I played two courses this weekend and my Maltby KE4 Tour 4w and 3h saw a lot of action. Prior to getting these I had no fairway or hybrid that I could reliably hit off the deck. These are different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am not sure if I posted this here or not, but thought I would share it. I bought a Matlby #2 driving/utility iron with a recoil ES at standard length. I really like the club, yet I was finding I was too erratic with it with a few wild hits. I kept feeling like it was simply too long and hard to control on the swing down to the ball.

I cut off 1" and have probably hit it about 20 times or so in rounds since and that was the ticket! I made it about 1/2 inch longer than a 4/5 iron length which was perfect for me. Amazing how the length of a long iron can really impact your ball strikes.

On a another note, I built two Maltby M Series+ wedges (52 and 56) with 460 (I think) recoils. Now that I have played them at least 6 rounds and practiced a bit with them they are no doubt performers and every bit as good as the Vokeys and have not come out of my bag. They simply feel good to me. Maltby has some awesome clubs! I will be parting with my almost new Vokey wedges soon.

It's weird the thread ended up here. There's much more talk about clubs than club building.

There's 20% off on custom clubs now if you're in the market.

Dave

It's weird the thread ended up here. There's much more talk about clubs than club building.

There's 20% off on custom clubs now if you're in the market.

Dave
Also another good deal can be head for TS1's and TS2's prebuilt sets, $399 with KBS tour 105 shafts. The TS1's come and go in stock but the TS2's are in stock right now. I really believe these clubs are as good or better than anything that's out there.

On a another note, I built two Maltby M Series+ wedges (52 and 56) with 460 (I think) recoils. Now that I have played them at least 6 rounds and practiced a bit with them they are no doubt performers and every bit as good as the Vokeys and have not come out of my bag. They simply feel good to me. Maltby has some awesome clubs! I will be parting with my almost new Vokey wedges soon.

I have a M Series+ 56° wedge coming this week that will replace my current 52° and 56° wedges. Can’t wait to get it out to the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a M Series+ 56° wedge coming this week that will replace my current 52° and 56° wedges. Can’t wait to get it out to the range.

I just received a M-Series+ 56* Tour that came in the mail yesterday. I ordered it through the custom shop 20% off with DG R300. I took it to the practice green yesterday and thought it performed great.

Which sole did you get?

Dave

Which one did you choose?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Which one did you choose?

I went with the Mid sole.

I just received a M-Series+ 56* Tour that came in the mail yesterday. I ordered it through the custom shop 20% off with DG R300. I took it to the practice green yesterday and thought it performed great.

Which sole did you get?

Dave

Mid sole. I also took advantage of the custom shop sale. Great deal.

I went with the Mid sole.

Huge fan of that particular club. The level of confidence it can bring to the table is worth the price alone.
Sometimes we have to swallow our pride and get away from the sexy pro versions of club. This is just such a club yet performs beautifully.

Always thought of a more of a club builder's "component" brand.
Magazines and the revenues are all ad driven and all the agencies and agreements behind the scenes in between.

Always thought that people should be open to gently used gear at a fraction of new as well if they are considering Maltby at similar or perhaps even higher price points.
Resale is the biggest issue. Its just money out the window with component stuff sometimes. Its not a reflection of quality, just perception that the "pros" don't play it.

Magazines and the revenues are all ad driven and all the agencies and agreements behind the scenes in between.

Always thought that people should be open to gently used gear at a fraction of new as well if they are considering Maltby at similar or perhaps even higher price points.
Resale is the biggest issue. Its just money out the window with component stuff sometimes. Its not a reflection of quality, just perception that the "pros" don't play it.
Percentage wise you will lose the same amount of money on a brand new set of OEMs.
Let's say you bought the new Sti2 iron pak at $179. You hate them and go to resell them and you get $75 for them.
You buy a set of $1200 taylormade irons and hate them. You go to resell them and you'll be lucky to get $700 for them.....
I would rather lose $100. But maybe thats just me.

I would never buy used unless it was exactly what I was looking for. Plus I like buying clubs fit to my specs without having to break the bank to do it.

Percentage wise you will lose the same amount of money on a brand new set of OEMs.
Let's say you bought the new Sti2 iron pak at $179. You hate them and go to resell them and you get $75 for them.
You buy a set of $1200 taylormade irons and hate them. You go to resell them and you'll be lucky to get $700 for them.....
I would rather lose $100. But maybe thats just me.

Oh, make no mistake about it, you want to get fit and be very happy with a new set of OEM irons. No small change at all. (y)

I think your resale assumptions might be a bit high even, but I know nothing of those models and prices of course. Just speaking more generally.
Even selling nice used stuff, people want to haggle and get good deals. There's so much good dirt cheap stuff out there if used isn't a problem for people. The top dollar OEM example is just to prove a point in the Maltby direction. We all know the OEM are $$$$.
Not everyone wants to drive a Kia either. ;)

Completely understand what your saying. The general golfer definitely behaves that way. But the last thing I think about when I buy a club is if a “pro” plays it or not. I play equipment because of performance. Maltby allows me to play irons that perform as well as any other brand at a fraction of the cost. Golf clubs are meant to be used and not as an investment in my opinion, not worried about Maltby’s resale as it’s affordable enough.

I would never buy used unless it was exactly what I was looking for. Plus I like buying clubs fit to my specs without having to break the bank to do it.

That’s part of the problem of buying used as well. Hard to find exact specs or how those clubs have been treated.

Golf clubs are an investment in self and a darn good one. The exercise, socializing... (y)
The amount of money put into the pros is pretty astounding. Really OEM's are component builders with the flashiest advertising campaigns ever.
I think their R&D is light years ahead of what any component will bring you, and the price is definitely reflected.
My first "fit" clubs at about 12 yrs old were just hybrid Ping/845 knock offs that a shop sold that a lot of people were playing. Worked well.
As long as it fits you well, you're ahead of the game.

Golf clubs are an investment in self and a darn good one. The exercise, socializing... (y)
The amount of money put into the pros is pretty astounding. Really OEM's are component builders with the flashiest advertising campaigns ever.
I think their R&D is light years ahead of what any component will bring you, and the price is definitely reflected.
My first "fit" clubs at about 12 yrs old were just hybrid Ping/845 knock offs that a shop sold that a lot of people were playing. Worked well.
Do you realize Maltby's list of innovations in movable driver head weight. Forging techniques, weight distribution, cutting edge finishes...
They have always lead the industry with these things yet have gotten none of the credit. They for years have done design work for multiple OEMs but no one knows about it due to disclosures.
People are amazed when Maltby products are put head to head with an OEM and look at hard data. Not only will they see matching performance and at times better numbers.. Yet still it can be a hard sell because of the lack of name recognition. Despite how good a club can be if their buddies are not wowed but the WITB factor a lot of guys are not interested.

To me, golf clubs themselves are not an investment. The work I put into the game via practice and playing is the investment. Clubs are just tools. I don’t buy clubs based on resale. I don’t buy golf clubs based on what some advertisement tells me to buy. I buy what’s best for me regardless of cost. I have a pretty mixed bag, Sim Max driver, Callaway Mavrik 3 wood, Apex 19 hybrid, Cleveland RTX4 Wedges, Odyssey and Bettinardi putters.

The last few sets of irons I’ve owned have been Srixon z585’s, PXG 0211’s, Cobra Forged Tec 2020’s. The Maltby TS2 irons in my opinion have outperformed them in multiple areas. They are a great forged hollow boded players distance/GI iron.

I’ve also had the opportunity to play around with some New Level Irons and they are just as good as the Maltby’s and the other big brands.

The affordability of the Maltby irons have given me the opportunity to mess around with other areas of the bag. I paid close to $1300 for the Forged Tecs after all was said and done. Paid $425 tax/shipping for the Maltby TS2’s and was blown away. Sold the Cobras and have been able to put that money towards other things.

Again this is my opinion and most importantly my experience. I respect your opinion as well. What it boils down to for me is that I’m a club ho, lots of experiences and no brand loyalty. Maltby Irons have made it possible for me to ho out in other areas.

Not everyone wants to drive a Kia either. ;)

Honest question -- have you tried the Maltby club line?

Everyone can/should have their own opinion and I respect that, but quite honestly when I use the Maltby clubs I have I'm not getting an impression that I'm using equipment that is in any way inferior. The results are very good for what I'm putting in, which is at times inconsistent. The clubs treat me better than I deserve.

I've never driven a Kia car. I can't comment on whether they are nice or not. I like Wranglers, been driving them since '05.

Dave

Mid sole. I also took advantage of the custom shop sale. Great deal.

Cool, report back.

I've had major issues in hard pan type conditions this season and I'm a picker. The thinner sole I think helps me personally. I was hitting quite a few off tight lies at the practice green yesterday with outstanding results. The sole is much more like that on my TE GW which I've been using very well so far this year. I had a par 5 approach on Thursday a partial swing from ~ 55 yards that I put about 3 feet away for an easy birdie!

Dave

My Maltby M series + wedges are still rocking strong! Amazing clubs for the price. I consider them a great value and plan to wear them out and simply retire them when needed :cool:

Cool, report back.

I've had major issues in hard pan type conditions this season and I'm a picker. The thinner sole I think helps me personally. I was hitting quite a few off tight lies at the practice green yesterday with outstanding results. The sole is much more like that on my TE GW which I've been using very well so far this year. I had a par 5 approach on Thursday a partial swing from ~ 55 yards that I put about 3 feet away for an easy birdie!

Dave

Yes, I have issues with tight lies also. So hopefully this wedge will yield better results.

Back