Why aren't there more left handed golfers on tour?

put me in the righty but golf lefty camp. Started golfing righty as that's the only clubs my dad had. Played baseball (batted) lefty though, so bought lefty clubs as soon as I could afford it.

surprised at the amount of righty playing lefty brothers here!!

Only like 10% of the population is left-handed. (Including me)

I don't see it as an odd statistic, but to me it is really pretty easily explained by the fact that there are very few lefties, and even less that perform at a high enough level to get on, and win on the PGA Tour.

this IS THE reason

Only like 10% of the population is left-handed. (Including me)

I don't see it as an odd statistic, but to me it is really pretty easily explained by the fact that there are very few lefties, and even less that perform at a high enough level to get on, and win on the PGA Tour.

I was just coming in to say pretty much the same thing.

but only 5% of the tour is lefty.

and out of all the golfers. just a couple have been successful?

Not sure I understand your point? Many many fewer left-handed people in the world, even fewer lefties who PLAY left-handed (I have 2 friends who are left-handed and play right-handed).

I would say 5% is about spot on for the population given the fact that many lefties are taught to swing right-handed from an early age.

...the fact that many lefties are taught to swing right-handed from an early age.

I had no idea that was the case prior to this thread, which would likely explain some.

I play left handed for one and ONLY one reason. The instructor at a beginner's class handed me a left handed club.
Wish he hadn't.

We need to be careful with our terms. Is lefty and plays lefty are two different things. As many posts have pointed out, just because someone PLAYS left handed doesn't mean they ARE left handed.

I'm righty in everything except when I swing. So hockey, golf (except putting) and baseball is all LH even though in every other facet of my life, I'm a righty
I am right handed, golf and play tennis/racquetball/softball right handed. I played hockey left handed. Don't know why. Maybe we just had a left handed stick lying around when I was young.

Maybe it's that the guys playing left handed aren't as good as the guys playing right handed? There's a LOT more competition from the right side of the ball than there is on the left side.:confused2:

We need to be careful with our terms. Is lefty and plays lefty are two different things. As many posts have pointed out, just because someone PLAYS left handed doesn't mean they ARE left handed.
I often wonder if I should really consider myself a lefty, when writing is almost the only thing I do left-handed. And nowadays with computers and everything, actual writing is such a trivial part of our lives.

I’m left handed and play right handed. It wasn’t a club availability issue for me as I started as an adult (~8 years ago). It just feels more natural for me to do so. I batted right handed too. I don’t feel truly ambidextrous, but rather do some things always as a lefty and others always as a righty.

Good thought. Yes more for sure than I ever thought there would be.

Also another right thing I do. My desk is setup as right handed. Mouse is on right side.

Lots of confused and/or ambidextrous folks in this thread and sport :LOL:

I once read ana article where the author said he saw Bubba Watson turn his Driver upside down, grip & swing it left handed, and hit the ball nearly 300 yards, right on target. Talk about ambidextrous!

I’m not really sure if left handed people should even be allowed to play on tour. I read somewhere that left handed people are 200% more likely to be evil.

Seriously, I think it is because until recently parents normally made their kids play right handed in golf.

I’m not really sure if left handed people should even be allowed to play on tour. I read somewhere that left handed people are 200% more likely to be evil.

Seriously, I think it is because until recently parents normally made their kids play right handed in golf.
Yes, but you have also probably heard that left handed people are the only ones in their right mind.

I putt right handed and swing left handed, so which am I?

I played hockey for over 10 years before I ever picked up a golf club. I learned the game from Canadians, who put their dominant hand on the top of the stick (right hand in my case) and shoot and stick handle with the "weaker" hand on the bottom.

The first time I played golf, I played right handed. It was a tough time, more than the usual first time issues. I never felt comfortable swinging right handed. I flipped the club over near the end of the round and decided I needed to play left handed if I ever played again. My then-girlfriend bought me a left handed starter set, and the long journey began.

The good thing about being lefty: rarely do you get paired up with someone who wants to borrow your new driver, wedge, etc. :)

I’m completely not ambidextrous, I’m left handed everything except golf. Growing up in the UK, I played a proper sport with a bat, cricket. However, shortly after moving over here, the missus took me to a baseball cage as part of my assimilation process. I couldn’t decide whether I was a left handed or right handed swinger. I guess the golf swing and baseball swing are extremely similar, just different planes.
I played a proper sport with a bat , cricket, lmao 😂

When I was a child in school and learning to write, I started out left handed but the nuns who taught me made me switch to using my right hand. I play golf from the right side. My left eye is dominant but I can do most things with either hand.

I often wonder if I should really consider myself a lefty, when writing is almost the only thing I do left-handed. And nowadays with computers and everything, actual writing is such a trivial part of our lives.
Yes, you are left handed. Writing is the most complicated thing we do with our hands. Writing left handed defines you as being a lefty. Regardless of your hand preference for other activities.

Well, left in latin is sinistra. So there’s that.

Back