Why can I not resist the urge to over swing

jdjanda

Reaction score
Handicap
Every time it takes 2-3 holes before I settle down and stop trying to kill the ball. I know what there results are going to be when I over swing; drive sliced, topping. :banghead:

Maybe on the first tee I'll use my PW, the results will be better.

this has been me lately also... but especially when i play my brother the long baller...
it takes me driver and a mid iron to get to his teeshot... lol...
so when we play im always trying to obliterate the ball off the tee just to keep up...
if i played my own game id beat him half the time

same problem here. when I remember to go up a club and swing nice and easy I almost always hit a pure shot. But most of the time I'm trying to kill it to keep up with my playing partners...its quite frustrating.

I used to struggle with this. I find that when practicing it helps to focus on your tempo. On your backswing, count in your head, "1, 2" and then when you swing count, "3, 4". That way it keeps your swing in-tempo. After a while of practicing, it will become instinctive and should help you to not overswing.
Nowdays I have the opposite problem of not swinging hard enough, which causes my arms to get beind and makes me hit a push. I actually have to try to overswing just to hit it straight.

I used to struggle with this. I find that when practicing it helps to focus on your tempo. On your backswing, count in your head, "1, 2" and then when you swing count, "3, 4". That way it keeps your swing in-tempo. After a while of practicing, it will become instinctive and should help you to not overswing.
Nowdays I have the opposite problem of not swinging hard enough, which causes my arms to get beind and makes me hit a push. I actually have to try to overswing just to hit it straight.

This of course is if you want a 2:2 swing ratio. Most people would be better off with a slower backswing than a 2:2 ratio.

Good timing with this thread.

Today at the range I realized that my backswing has become an over-exagerated monster that is robbing me of distance and contact. I have also incorporated a massive wrist hinge into it for some reason.

I ended up making what felt like a stiff wristed half swing that gave me much better results. Of course, it was more like my normal old swing that I learned in my lessons. Weird how your mind convinces you that more is better.

I occasionally find myself in the same situation, trying to overswing. It is usually when I get to the 500 yard par five i try to kill it thus creating a slice and this is how I end up with 8's and higher on the par 5's. I am happy to say that now that I realize this I am "plaing my own game" and not try to keep up with those I am playing with or try to reach every green in two shots. But every now and then the "killer" comes out and I am overswinging with the same old results :banghead:

two of my playing partners are long ballers and on at least every round, I findf myself tring to kill my drives to keep up with them. Once I realize that I can't hit the ball that long, and overcome the EGO, I will calm down and get my swing back into tempo.

I used to do this as well on the first tee. Now, whenever I'm on the first tee, I'll always try to hit my 3w or hybrid if the opportunity allows. I'll take the 15-30 yard sacrifice to get a ball in the fairway. I hate courses that start with a par 5!

On the first tee, I dedicate myself to hitting a 4w and pick a target on the fairway at my normal 4w distance. Works better for me than using a driver and thinking generally "straight and long."

I have a bad habit of doing this too. I have to keep reminding myself that golf is a game of opposites and the less I try to kill the ball and instead have a nice solid strike the better the results will be. I practice this at the range a lot because I end up hitting the ball fat because I am digging the club into the ground from coming down so hard and so fast to crush the ball.

if i played my own game id beat him half the time

Which means that you would also lose half the time! Sorry I couldn't help myself :smile-big:

Tempo is key. "Trying to kill the ball" creates tension which will ruin the timing of your swing. Club up and Easy does it!

I've been suffering from this too lately. I was really working on it at the range today. Nice and slow, trying to hit about a "50%" downswing.

Ironically, I hit my best shots as the rain started getting near and I was just trying to run out the bucket. I only had my 5 iron. I was just setting up, and trying to pop them out at the 100 yard sign as fast as I reasonably could and maintain form. I hit nearly every shot pure, and nearly all seemed to land alittle past the 160 yard marker from my attempted 100 yard 5 iron swing. It was somewhat amazing to me :laughing:

Which means that you would also lose half the time! Sorry I couldn't help myself :smile-big:

Tempo is key. "Trying to kill the ball" creates tension which will ruin the timing of your swing. Club up and Easy does it!

1/2 is better than losing all the time... lolz!

I hear you guys on this totally! When I'm with my instructor, I never over swing. Most of the time I hit the shot I want. But when he's not there, oh, god forbid. I'm in the trees, in the rough, near a dumpster, hitting stray animals in the head, and what not. I really ought to start imagining him there, looming over me. I've got to come to terms with the fact, that I'll never be long. Ever. :(

I run into this problem when I'm swinging real well and get too greedy...

THIS!
Instead of playing my game that is going very well I start trying to reach back and get a couple extra yards off the tee. That's when the trouble starts.
It also happens into the wind or out of the rough where I am almost always better off going up a club and swinging normal

So true.. I hit a good shot swinging smooth and easy and can't help but think I could swing a little harder and get a few more yards off the tee. Boom trees or trap then its scramble time.

I'd have to say I fall prey to this also. I hit some great shots, and think "theres my swing", then start getting on it harder till its all gone to crap. Then I get frusrated, and have to think and tell myself to cut my swing back 25-50%, and usually I get back into form.

Back