Why can't Oosthuizen close?

bat21

Reaction score
Handicap
To me it seems like he loses aggressiveness on Sundays, as well as the back nine on Saturdays.

As soon as he got to double digits (-10) on sat. , the brakes were on....

Have seen this in other majors as well, and it happens like clockwork....like the guy, and enjoy his accuracy with the rock, but there is a reason for the inevitable 2nd place finishes.

Hard to explain his lack of closing the deal ability.
I do know, he gets no coffee

It’s awfully difficult to hold the lead 4 straight days. I am not necessarily sure there is anything “wrong” but more of just like anyone else some days you are on and get all the breaks and other days the exact opposite. Can fall somewhere in the middle any given day as well. That is just golf. Why was Phil able to play well and win a major but have no where near the same form since? Same thing. Just the way the game is.

I had him picked, I wanted to believe.....not sure he will get that close again

Winning is hard.

I had him picked, I wanted to believe.....not sure he will get that close again
Me too but I was pretty sure by Saturday that Morikawa was coming out on top. He was just picking the course apart and doing whatever he wanted with a golf ball. He is tough to beat when he gets like that and makes some putts.

Not breaking news ... it's mental.

Same reason most guys can’t win on tour. It’s not for lack of talent. The amount of pressure on day 4 at the top of the leaderboard at a major is enormous. There just are not many who have the intestinal fortitude to perform at their peak under those conditions.

Winning is incredibly hard at that level, Louis doesn’t strike me as the type of player that will rip a competitors heart out and stomp on it to get to a trophy. There’s a level of cut throat that is required to win the big ones, Brooks was right in saying that half the guys in the field are out of it before the tournament starts.

Watched both Collin and Louis’ round 3 post interview. Collin spoke about preparation and planning and focus for the final round. Louis spoke about his bad shots from the previous round.

That’s the difference.

Some people just are not clutch while some are. It's nothing against him from a personal standpoint but there are just people who can't seal the deal.

I akin it to combat sports a little, there are just a lot of people who can't commit to the finish.

He just didn’t play well enough or as well as the winners did on Sunday in the US Open or the Open Championship. Louie shot even par in both final rounds while Rahm and Morikawa both shot 4 under respectively.

He has won it before, also has been a runner up in majors more than almost anyone.

1626743757100.png

I am a fan of his, don't get me wrong....just mystified by him not being able to close the deal by staying on offense. He has won this before, so he should know how to close.

He did the same thing in the u.s. open, losing to rahm.

I think it is his putting that lets him down his whole career. He was 120th in strokes gained putting this year. It is difficult to close any tournament especially a major with those putting stats.

wow, does he make the first three days look easy. the 4th day he seems to moderately lose approach shots and slowly pick up boggies. Meanwhile his competion is making birdies. I think he gets tight like do most of us.

His putting really lets him down under the heat. Not sure if he starts trying too hard, or plays too conservatively, but he's not at all the same person come Sunday as he is Thursday-Saturday.

I hate to talk crap about a golfer that can wipe the floor with me and run circles around my own ‘mental game’ but it seems like his mental game falls apart before he can close out.

Back