Why can't Oosthuizen close?

I think it’s just that he’s really good, but not great.

I think it’s just that he’s really good, but not great.

Mickelson
Rahm
Morikawa
Spieth

The only players who finished ahead of Oosthuizen in the final three Majors. That’s a list of great players.

Mickelson
Rahm
Morikawa
Spieth

The only players who finished ahead of Oosthuizen in the final three Majors. That’s a list of great players.
Yup, and he’s behind them….

Mickelson
Rahm
Morikawa
Spieth

yup, and the two with the most majors on that list also have had issues closing out majors throughout their career.

Golf is hard. Ending up on the wrong side of variance in the end.

Horseshoes and hand grenades. ;)

So true. 😆

Nice reference to the idiom“close doesn’t count….”

And baseball Hall of Famer Frank Robiinsion would approve.

No killer instinct! Maybe, just a little bit too nice of a guy?🤷‍♂️

When he is building the lead, his tempo and finish are just about perfect. When he gets the lead, there is something not the same. He leans a lot and irons end up going right. I don't know if he speeds up or doesn't complete his backswing or what but something is different.

I don’t have an answer as to why he can’t close but, he seems like a humble guy that doesn’t complain . I hope he wins more

I can't think of anyone on the tour who is a more class act. He takes questions from the media with true grace. I don't think I could do what he does. I'd show my emotion which woulid be pissed at self.

I think people are trying to explain this and it's nothing but it's just hard to win. It's REALLY hard to take 2nd and 3rd which he can do consistently. Like ya need some luck beyond the skill to go from 2nd to 1st against the very best in the world. He'll break through eventually if he continues to put up good results. He had a near hole in one on Sunday, and missed a couple putts by a 1' and he's right there.

He has closed once. He's been playing really well but so has someone else. It's not easy to win majors.

A 180* mental wedge might be good in his bag.

Based on what I saw watching the coverage on Sunday, he didn't seem comfortable. He managed his way through the first few holes, and then missed his target(s) on the next few. Not what we would consider "mistakes" but at the pro level he was a mile wide of where he wanted to be. One or two holes I think they can recover from, but his trend continued and it was just too much for him to overcome.

Of course a couple of small misses combined with the fact that the guy you're walking down the fairways with is nailing absolutely everything really compounds the problem. Once Morikawa proved he wasn't phased it was game, set, match.

I could be wrong, but I believe professional athletes will tell just about anyone who will listen that the toughest game to win in a best of 7 is the fourth........

Maybe it’s just the fatigue and grind of 4 days. He has been a winner before, so he knows he can do it. Who knows?

There's a lot of turmoil (riots) in S Africa right now. A dangerous place to be. He has a big ranch there and I believe he's looking to buy one in Florida right now for his horses.

Maybe?

Lot of it's down to variance. Sometimes the 3 foot putts just don't break your way.

Consistently contending in major after major is a sign of an elite golfer, moreso than major wins IMO. Winning any single major can be explained by hot streaks or lucky breaks, but if you show up and finish ahead of 95% of the field every time, you're just really damn good.

Back