Why do some premium ball manufacturers offer "Practice" balls?

#troy

Jax, FL
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Title says it, why do some premium ball manufacturers offer Practice balls out of the premium line and others do not?

These are said to be cosmetic, not functional issues and are conforming for competition.

Where are the other blem balls going?

Do they get mixed in the main volume?

As I see it, offering up "practice balls" is just another form of advertising.

A viable selling technique I would think. A good way to get a buyer to try the oem's main, presumably better product.

Man after hitting some practice balls on the range, what I can say is I’m deterred from playing that brand.

Man after hitting some practice balls on the range, what I can say is I’m deterred from playing that brand.

I think the "Practice" balls sold to the public by a couple of the major brands are, indeed, as Troy said are simply below their standards cosmetically and are different than the one you might find on the range. Those seen on the range most likely do not conform in more ways than just cosmetics. Could be wrong though. It would be an interesting question to pose to one of the companies, perhaps at a future THP event where one of them might be present.

Titleist ball rep says the practice have small cosmetic blemishes, but are other wise no different than the regular. They use them for fittings at Titleist Thursdays and what not so they are fine.

Yea I'm not talking range balls. I'm referring to consumer main models. There aren't duo practice, chrome soft practice, many others. The main ones I am aware of are Pro V and TP5.

Titleist ball rep says the practice have small cosmetic blemishes, but are other wise no different than the regular. They use them for fittings at Titleist Thursdays and what not so they are fine.
Where are the DT and AVX blem balls?

If you believe that Wilson Staff paint advertising, the blemished balls are put into production and sold to consumers.

Unless they're destroyed and recycled back into new golf balls? Or is that even possible?

Practice balls to me mean factory seconds. Small imperfections that they don't want to detract from the main brand.

Range balls are near unanimously a specific designed ball to meet the needs of a range operator. At least the ones us mere mortals get to play.

Maybe some send them to the tour for range/practice balls for tournaments? A first tee location was attached to the former site of the Houston Open and we found a bunch of Speed Regime practice balls in the par 3 training area a couple years ago. I assumed they were donated to the first tee after the tournament and kids lost/left them in the rough/tall grass.

Back