Why do they use audio of ball dropping in hole on tour ?.

Hitsnmisses

Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve noted that telecasts, of tournaments , some more particularly in Asia but have seen examples in European tour , of when putting the broadcasters , see fit to add audio of a ball dropping in hole , which additionally sounds like it’s fallen in a tin can not an embedded hole where the sound would be more muted if any ?..

Why Why ? Would they do this , ? Is there a contingent of hearing impaired golfers watching ? Or can’t viewers see the white ball ( or other colours ,, insert here ) contrast against the grass ?…

it is very annoying and knowing it’d false as every putt has the same sound bite … it repetitively annoying to the viewer….

If your listening broadcast companies , you have directional microphones ,use those for actual ball fall not artificial !!!!!

Does anyone else dislike this ?

I could be wrong but I believe some tournaments actually put microphones in the holes, just confirms to the viewer that ball did drop…adds to the drama.

It just adds to the telecast I guess

How else would you know it went in the hole! Maybe there's some really clinky tin and a microphone down there for added effect.

How else would you know it went in the hole! Maybe there's some really clinky tin and a microphone down there for added effect.
I reckon a big tip , would be seeing it drop in the hole lol , it’s the actual sound is false its a hollow sound , not a genuine sound . It to me sounds cheap …. That all . next will be a circular led light ring or the flag stick light up like light sabre hahhaa . Thing is those players in Euro / Asia can genuinely play good golf without that novelty noise . And I imagine they have no idea what the broadcaster is doing they more focused on their games .

The golfing world's laugh track...

I first noticed this the first time FOX did the US Open and hated it. It was loud and obviously fake. You could see a ball ram into the back of the cup which would clearly rattle around, and the sound was as if it just fell over the edge. Imagine if that was your job. Watching a golf tournament and pressing a button every time a ball on the screen drops into the hole.

I first noticed this the first time FOX did the US Open and hated it. It was loud and obviously fake. You could see a ball ram into the back of the cup which would clearly rattle around, and the sound was as if it just fell over the edge. Imagine if that was your job. Watching a golf tournament and pressing a button every time a ball on the screen drops into the hole.
That’s funny , can you imagine the meetings and focus groups discussion on shall we implement this ? And what sound level … and tone….. 🤭😀

Because it's the most wonderful sound on the planet !

^^^^^^^ THIS!!! Way back in the day, when my younger brother and I would play, I'd give him a putt that he rolled to tap in range. But, he'd always knock it in. Finally I asked him why. He said, "I didn't chase that damned ball for 500 freaking yards to NOT hear it go in the hole. I like to hear it go in the hole."

The OP wrote about hearing impaired golfers watching. Maybe he should have thought about sight impaired golfers. I once read an article about blind golfer societies, and how many of them there were. It also seemed that there were nearly no deaf golfer societies. Kind of surprising for a game that might be thought of as the most visual game on the planet. Apparently, sound is very important to golf!

1631923088985.gif

^^^^^^^ THIS!!! Way back in the day, when my younger brother and I would play, I'd give him a putt that he rolled to tap in range. But, he'd always knock it in. Finally I asked him why. He said, "I didn't chase that damned ball for 500 freaking yards to NOT hear it go in the hole. I like to hear it go in the hole."

The OP wrote about hearing impaired golfers watching. Maybe he should have thought about sight impaired golfers. I once read an article about blind golfer societies, and how many of them there were. It also seemed that there were nearly no deaf golfer societies. Kind of surprising for a game that might be thought of as the most visual game on the planet. Apparently, sound is very important to golf!
Iam specifically referring though to
On television golf tournaments especially Asia and Europe not other golf broadcast. And understand blind golf also , I am referring to the enhanced artificial
Sound

Always sounds better hearing the ball hit the bottom of the cup.

Back