Why do you change clubs so often?

InHartWeTrust

Ball Go Far.
Reaction score
Handicap
4-5ish
So, I've been toying around with the thought of creating this post for quite some time...but, I have held off as I was afraid it would be taken in the wrong context. Alas, here I am typing this, and here is the thread. What the hell is going through some of your heads with all the equipment changing? haha

All sarcasm aside, I am asking truly from a curiosity standpoint. I am just looking to better understand it, I guess? To me, it is a very interesting phenomenon...I can't wrap my head around how the thought process wouldn't be to find properly fit clubs that you like and grow with them, and into them. Build some rapport with them, love them a little so they can love you back.

My cousin is the same way as a lot of people here. I went on a road trip to his bachelor party this weekend and was paired with 3 of his friends during a morning round of golf on the trip. I asked "So, is Jon still buying new clubs a few times a year looking for the answer to his dogsh!t golf swing?". They all laughed and nodded. They told me he had 2 sets of irons in his trunk this morning and was in the parking lot trying to decide which set was right for that day's round. Really, dude? When you're swing is not fine tuned...one club set isn't any more right "for the round" than the other. But I digress, his buddies and I got into a good general conversation about the club ho'ing habit; something I would like to have with all of my friends here at THP who share this same passion for purchasing new clubs. A lot of their group of friends are this way...to me, it just doesn't make sense.

For me, it is very simple: Get properly fit, and past that if you can hit one club successfully, you can hit them all. Sure, you might prefer one over the other, or see slightly better numbers with one set up over another; but if it is anything dramatic, you likely didn't do your homework when purchasing the other set in the first place. What it boils down to, IMO, is that outside of small variances here and there, you're either good with them all, or the opposite is true.

I see the masses here (and in real life) changing this, changing that, buying this to replace that, and so on. Why? Do you expect the club to make you better, or is it just a habit/addiction? Serious question here.

Personally, and I hope this does not offend anyone as I do not intend for it to, nor should my opinion matter to you whatsoever...but personally, I find myself shaking my head a lot while reading some threads. It seems as if a lot of golfers are searching for the answers through new clubs, and often times this is even explicitly stated. "Oh, well I am hitting all shanks with xxx club so I am going to run to Golf Galaxy tonight after work to buy this. I am certain a new xxx club with xxx shaft will give me more GIR's." False, a shank is a swing problem, not an equipment problem. Same with blocking shots right, hooking them left, topping them, or chunking them.

If purchasing is the "search for the answer to the golf swing you want", more power to you, I honestly mean that. I often times have passing thoughts on "Man, I would like to pick one of those new xxx clubs up", but 99.9% of the time I don't. Why? To me there is no true added benefit.

In closing, fellow THP'ers...please enlighten me on how you believe the club is going to fix your swing that is producing the shots you aren't happy with? Or, is it just simply a matter of grasping for straws and using new clubs to keep the hope alive?

Now let me throw a few disclaimers out to avoid the obvious responses. If you're an 18 and playing hard to hit irons, 1) yes, switching to forgiving irons will help, but 2) you made a bonehead move when you purchased the first set.

It's the nature of what I do here, but in all honesty, there are many times that I am not excited to switch clubs.

That being said, I think the allure of new equipment is one of the joys of the game for many people, including me.

It's the nature of what I do here, but in all honesty, there are many times that I am not excited to switch clubs.

That being said, I think the allure of new equipment is one of the joys of the game for many people, including me.

I get that, completely. For instance I won't buy a 910 driver because I know I want the "new" one for the long term...meaning I am waiting on the 913. That said, I will not buy a 913 unless it earns it's keep to make my bag. Case in point, I play an R5 driver that is OOOOLLLDDD.

New clubs are cool, and fun. However, maybe it is just different for me because I want clubs I can love and get used it. I need to trust in them for tournaments, and know they are ones I will be able to keep around for the long term to grow with. Maybe my feeling of "finding clubs I know I can keep and love for years" is the equivalent of a lot of peoples "getting new clubs" feeling.

I guess in the end, we are all just searching for a pseudo "high".

Trying and buying new equipment is fun.. It's exciting..

I don't change my stuff rapidly like some do, but I really get a kick out of experiencing new gear.

Its a good question, one that I can't answer as I'm not that guy. I'm curious to see what many of the THPers have to say.

I find the psychology of it all interesting. Golf is essentially a rich mans game and the OEMs market directly to that, essentially saying "you can buy a better game". I think part of it is simply being enamored by the "quick fix".

I get that, completely. For instance I won't buy a 910 driver because I know I want the "new" one for the long term...meaning I am waiting on the 913. That said, I will not buy a 913 unless it earns it's keep to make my bag. Case in point, I play an R5 driver that is OOOOLLLDDD.

New clubs are cool, and fun. However, maybe it is just different for me because I want clubs I can love and get used it. I need to trust in them for tournaments, and know they are ones I will be able to keep around for the long term to grow with. Maybe my feeling of "finding clubs I know I can keep and love for years" is the equivalent of a lot of peoples "getting new clubs" feeling.

I guess in the end, we are all just searching for a pseudo "high".

Agreed!

I think several people on here just love the allure of shiny new things. Not necessarily hoping it'll magically drop the hc by 5.

If I had limitless funds for golf clubs, I would buy a lot of clubs, not to play "better", but solely because new stuff is new stuff.

With that said, I don't see myself changing any of my clubs for a while. Like you, I feel like I need to really be able to trust distances and quirks with my current clubs in tournaments etc.

Trying and buying new equipment is fun.. It's exciting..

I don't change my stuff rapidly like some do, but I really get a kick out of experiencing new gear.

I get it. I love demo days, but it takes a TON for a demo day to turn into an equipment changing. It's like being married and looking...looking is fine, but acting on it would have to take a lot to make it happen. Bad analogy, as you should never cheat, buy you get what I'm saying...I am exhausted, give me a break.

Its a good question, one that I can't answer as I'm not that guy. I'm curious to see what many of the THPers have to say.

I find the psychology of it all interesting. Golf is essentially a rich mans game and the OEMs market directly to that, essentially saying "you can buy a better game". I think its as simple as being enamored by the quick fix.

Great points. I hate to rain on some parades, but there is no such thing as a "quick fix" in golf :thumb:

I feel like I am going to be hated because of this thread, haha, but I hope it can be entertaining and informative.

Agreed!

I think several people on here just love the allure of shiny new things. Not necessarily hoping it'll magically drop the hc by 5.

If I had limitless funds for golf clubs, I would buy a lot of clubs, not to play "better", but solely because new stuff is new stuff.

With that said, I don't see myself changing any of my clubs for a while. Like you, I feel like I need to really be able to trust distances and quirks with my current clubs in tournaments etc.

#1 thing I HATE about new clubs: getting used to them, and not knowing distances, etc. I hate that adjustment period, just like Lee Westwood hates the high draw.

I get it. I love demo days, but it takes a TON for a demo day to turn into an equipment changing. It's like being married and looking...looking is fine, but acting on it would have to take a lot to make it happen. Bad analogy, as you should never cheat, buy you get what I'm saying...I am exhausted, give me a break.

I guess it depends what draws you to certain things.. Some people see white and they see a new must have technology. Some people get instant honeymoon action with a certain club and game it until it's over..

I think a really big piece is the fact that most simply aren't satisfied with certain things at the time of new purchases.. Take for example the putter.. Such a finicky and impossible part of the game to perfect, and often times the flatstick takes the blame big time.

Maybe, in this case, you're just one of the few who truly buys into the equipment you've selected for yourself. Me personally? I see room for improvement and I go after it.

Its the same reason for anything in life.
Do new clothes make you better?
Does trying the new restaurant make the food better?
Does a new car have to happen?
Do we need the new computer?
Do we have to have the latest cell phone?
Do we have to try the latest new golf course?

No to almost all of them. We do it because of two reasons.
1. Marketing tells us to.
2. Because it is fun and makes us feel better.

It all comes because we love the game and everything that makes it up.

I love new clubs. Try and stop me!!

Well I'm personally trying to not buy anymore clubs and to just from now on game the clubs that I have. I think a lot of people love tinkering and its part of the fun of golf, but for me I think if I want to get better at this game and become the golfer I want to be, I need to play the same clubs.

2 short answers:
1) People like new things. Some people buy new clothes, some buy new cars, some buy new golf clubs.
2) It's much easier for people to buy new clubs and think they will improve than for people to get better by "digging it out of the dirt." For those that are content to just play the game for fun, why not get some enjoyment out of new clubs?

You know how when you can't make a decision, they say to "flip a coin" because in the instant the coin is in the air you will find you made your decision by hoping for either heads or tails? I think I found my answer...but then again, I had that answer before. Most people are buying for fun, not to get better.

But my original point still stands...If you're playing the game for fun, do what you do. If you're trying to get better, how are new clubs going to achieve this? There are plenty purchasing new sticks thinking and claiming they are going to make them better. Like JB, ary, and others said...probably marketing and sheer hope playing in to this greatly. I know there is no right or wrong answer, I just like hearing the thoughts of those who are the ones guilty of claiming they will buy a new club to "fix the slice they've been seeing with the old one".

I change because I can and because THP is far more fun for me when I'm constantly pondering.

Equipment is a large reason for my love of golf. I love irons most. I probably end up with at least 2-3 different sets per year. Nothing like shiny new irons

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Well I'm personally trying to not buy anymore clubs and to just from now on game the clubs that I have. I think a lot of people love tinkering and its part of the fun of golf, but for me I think if I want to get better at this game and become the golfer I want to be, I need to play the same clubs.

im with you 100% right now breeze.... i am not changing a thing till after this pro am at least. i wanna hit some stuff in AC but besides that im not changing anything till after. i even am keeping the same putter and ball till then. i really am interested to see how much this helps my game. i really don't think it will hurt anything.

im with you 100% right now breeze.... i am not changing a thing till after this pro am at least. i wanna hit some stuff in AC but besides that im not changing anything till after. i even am keeping the same putter and ball till then. i really am interested to see how much this helps my game. i really don't think it will hurt anything.
We are thinking the same way buddy. If we are trying to become the players we want to be, I think consistency in equipment could go a long way in helping that. Just look at the pro's, their bags don't change a lot from year to year in general.

I wouldn't say that I change clubs often... I might upgrade a club or two a year. This year was Driver, Irons, and a putter change.

Last year was a driver, putter, and a wedge. The year before, irons and a 3w. Next year? who knows.... maybe a hybrid upgrade... thats about it that I am thinking.

I would say my issue is moreso that I like a deal. I went from a R7 425 driver that I paid sticker on, to a $98 Nike Dymo Str8Fit, to a $45 dollar used Cleveland SL290...... I like a deal.

My golf buddy the other day for some reason wanted to switch from his R9 TP driver.... to a Callaway Octane.... why? "It was cheap (I am sorry, but $200 is not cheap for a couple year old driver), and he liked the sound" LOL. Not performance, just cost and sound.

We are thinking the same way buddy. If we are trying to become the players we want to be, I think consistency in equipment could go a long way in helping that. Just look at the pro's, their bags don't change a lot from year to year in general.

yeah 2 men on a misson! lol seriously my bag is pretty solid right now and im happy could i get new irons and be happy sure but not till after the season at least where i could hit 1000 balls indoors all winter with a new set before hitting the course next spring.

I dont think that its always for the reason of trying to buy a game, some just like to try new things and can afford to, or sometimes just to good a deal to pass up.
I will never be as long as I once was,
nore will I ever be the flag hunter with the nerves of my youth,
but I will still strive to be the best putter that I can be as I spend far more time on the practice green than I can spend on the range with the health issues (knees and hips) that are becoming more prominent as I age.

Putting has always been and will continue to be MY favorite part of playing this game (as I feel it is the great equalizer in this game)
I myself collect Blade Putters for 2 reasons, the joy of collecting memories of days gone by (part of how I celebrate this great game), and the search or hunt if you will for putters (models) that were used by the games greats.

I change because I can and because THP is far more fun for me when I'm constantly pondering.

I DEFINITELY agree with this!! THP is way more fun when I'm club hunting and getting tons of feedback.

I want to start off by saying I really don't like your tone in your original post. This has to be one of the most judgmental things I have seen on this site. I imagine you and I play a very different game. You see distances that I can't imagine and our bad shots are very different. I hope we share a similar enjoyment in the game because I truly love it, including the equipment side of things. I probably have more money than sense sometimes but I've worked for it and after I pay all of my bills I spend it on the things that I want. I buy new equipment because I do like new things and I hope it will help me in my game. But I also take lessons on a regular basis and practice very regularly. Have I made equipment mistakes in the past, maybe/probably, but some of us have to find our swings regularly, only to have them quickly run away again. Things we can hit well at the store or in demo and seem great can change. We all try, but we are not as successful as you are in our endeavors.

I really like new clubs. Although the lure is dying with these I have now. I am making an effort to play more courses as opposed to new equipment. Marketing sucks me in as the desire to have new. I know that new does not mean better. Maybe I am afraid that of I like something a lot I won't be able to find it down the road. I form secure attachments in some cases... With that said. I am a reformed club ho. Albeit reading threads here is no help!

I know clubs won't help with my swing, I passed the point of buying a golf game for now. I should pay a psychologist and an Pro now. I have all I need, but not that I want. This is a nice voice of reason here

Hi, I am War Eagle. And... I am a club hoarder.

Back