Why do YOU love golf...?

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
This can be as “lighthearted” or as “deep” as you want...... why do YOU love golf...???

Outside, disconnected from the world, with one single thing to focus on. Getting the ball in the hole 18 times in as few swings as possible. This game is a rollercoaster of challenges. Each none like the other. No two golf shots are exactly the same. And in those moments when I accomplish something that I have never accomplished before, the sense of reward is tremendously satisfying. This game I have chosen to play is a difficult one. And impossible to ever fully master. All true golfers know that going into it. Yet I play as much as I can because simply put, it’s really really fun. I love it because it’s fun. And fun is good for the soul.

it gives me an escape from all my worries and I can spend time with friends on the course and just be happy.

So very well said. A magnificent summation. 👍🏻

I played men's fastpitch softball for 35 years. The last 30 as a pitcher. So obviously I have a very competitive personality. I really loved playing all those years, But Father Time is undefeated. It was getting hard to compete with guys half my age. So I had to hang up the cleats. Golf is now my outlet. I really enjoy it. But its frustrating as hell. I was used to being one of the better players in softball. I am nowhere near that in golf. But I will always keep trying. I just enjoy being out there at the course or the driving range.

the thrill of nerves over a much need shot. People who don't putt those 1 to 3 footers and pick um up are missing this.

The feeling when you have hit that 3 wood right on the button....

Use to be being outdoors, and competing against myself, and the golf course.

These days it's just being outside, still doing something I use to do pretty well.

Heck, I'm not even sure a person needs a reason to go play golf.

You're filled with optimism as you step onto the first tee. The perfectly manicured grass crunches under your feet as you leave footprints in the dew. The sun is rising over the green trees. There's not a breath of wind. The dew is on the grass.

Or a warm breeze blows as the sun is setting, turning the sky to red and casting long shadows. You step onto that perfect grass on the 18th tee with just enough time to finish, putting the finishing touches on a solid round with lots of laughs. A deer stands in rough, grazing and not giving you a moment's notice.

For four hours you have not thought about your problems or even the real world other than the sports you discussed.

It does not get better.

Outside in the fresh air with mother nature for a few hours. A "good walk enhanced" if you ask me.

Plus it's a nice challenging game with big rewards when you play well.

It’s the individual challenge that can be pushed as hard or little as you want. It’s the feeling of being out on the course, the sounds, the smells. Being able to play solo or with your friends. It’s the focus required that allows me a reprieve from the everyday hustle.

It’s the enjoyment of new equipment, of building up a set in the garage, the ability to customize and make clubs truly your own.

The athleticism and finesse when combined with power and strength. And knowing that it it a sport that can grow with a person.

It’s a sport that is just me against my self and the environment. I don’t have to complete against anyone else if I don’t want to. Sometimes it’s fun to complete against others either in lighthearted matches but it’s not necessary.

I like the thought of being solely responsible for a good or bad round. It’s up to me to improve if I want to do better at the sport. I also enjoy the mental side of it as well.

tough question to answer briefly, but I will say that it brings people from all walks of life together and have fun teeing it up with friends or meeting new people on the course or in a forum. The competition is fun, but not its goal other than being competitive with myself. Ultimately, that feeling of a great shot or birdie leave me coming back for more.

In short: the challenge… physically and mentally.

Long version:

I’m not an athlete; never have been. Music comes easily to me but sports do not

Golf challenges me in a way nothing else does. It’s an activity that tests all my physical and mental abilities every time I’m out there.

I find it extremely rewarding to make progress with my golf game as I know it’s not in my nature to excel at any sport, and I know that committing to the work it takes to improve is helping make me a better person.

Because unlike other games every stroke is the result of what I did. Great shot/score? All me. Horrible shot/score? Also all me. And it's never the same game twice.

Golf is dynamic. It’s beautiful and competitive. It’s an escape and a challenge. I can play with my Dad and one day he will play with his grandkids. Golf can be frustrating and it can be freeing.

Golf can be whatever you want it to be.

Sometimes I ask myself that exact question. Sometimes the answer is everything. I think a lot of it has been mentioned above. It’s a complete package. Outdoors, friends, challenges, rewards, let downs, and we also get to obsess over all the available new equipment.

Watching a well struck ball just fly towards the target. Never gets old .

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Watching a well struck ball just fly towards the target. Never gets old .

Or that last 1’ of a putt breaking into the cup. Lots of things about this game are strangely addictive. I love the challenge of trying to aim for consistent improvement, the mental game, the consistency of practice and routine. I enjoy the quiet of a solo round, and the camaraderie of a familiar pair or foursome, commiserating tough shots and celebrating good ones. Lately we have been bringing out one of our young apprentices for his first rounds of golf and seeing the passion ignite in someone is incredibly inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it gives me an escape from all my worries and I can spend time with friends on the course and just be happy.

This sums it up. The golf course is a place where work and the world don't matter. Just me, the people I'm playing with, and the course.

Each time I finish a round I realize that I did not worry about anything else but playing golf. It is my respite from the trials and tribulations of life.

this is my answer

same feeling I get as well when fishing somewhere I know holds a good population of fish.

like being a child again without enough experience to think complex thoughts

I used to enjoy many sports, but I’m getting old and I’m starting to break down. It’s all I’ve got left, dammit! 😜

Or that last 1’ of a putt breaking into the cup. Lots of things about this game are strangely addictive. I love the challenge of trying to aim for consistent improvement, the mental game, the consistency of practice and routine. I enjoy the quiet of a solo round, and the camaraderie of a familiar pair or foursome, commiserating tough shots and celebrating good ones. Lately we have been bringing out one of our young apprentices for his first rounds of golf and seeing the passion ignite in someone is incredibly inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree.

Back