Why does Dallas think it’s so posh?

Doesn’t everybody dress like this in Texas?!

Doesn’t everybody dress like this in Texas?!

All the time, on Sundays, at AT&T Stadium. His name is "Rowdy."

And everyone has an oil well in their backyard.

One observation, having been in Dallas a few times for business, is it's a pretty generic city. Could be "Anytown, USA", from what I've seen. Lots of strip malls and such. Reminds me of Columbus, OH. Another pretty generic city.

Some places just assert it. I remember this exchange, not verbatim, on Sean Hannity’s radio program one day:

SEAN: Let’s go to our busy, busy phones and Ed in Fairfield, Connecticut. Welcome to the Sean Hannity program, Ed. How’s the Volvo?

ED: <pauses> It’s . . . . it’s . . . . how did YOU know?

SEAN: I thought it was zoning. You tell me.
I got a belly laugh out of this one as I live a bit north of Fairfield. CT (Just outside the blast zone of incredible wealth that begins there and runs south to Greenwich.) Plenty of Volvo's in the area but Maserati opened dealership in the area a couple of years ago and i've noticed a lot more of those tooling around lately. Tesla's of course, seem to be the Auto du jour.... plenty of Jags, Merc's and BMW's as well.... I'm sticking with my '07 Tahoe with 300k miles on it for now...

I've lived a little north of Dallas for about two years now and find the area quite 'cold'. Wave at someone, get a blank stare. Smile at someone, get a blank stare. Say 'hey' to someone, get a blank stare. Personally, I think everyone is too busy chasing their career to notice anyone else.

I've lived a little north of Dallas for about two years now and find the area quite 'cold'. Wave at someone, get a blank stare. Smile at someone, get a blank stare. Say 'hey' to someone, get a blank stare. Personally, I think everyone is too busy chasing their career to notice anyone else.

Yes, and younger generations don't like to small talk like real Texans, so that adds to it. It's changed. Everyone is chasing something. I just want to chase a golf ball and find good food.

How far North? About 16 years ago I lived in Plano. It wasn't quite that 'cold' but was getting there. When I went back for a work thing last week to Plano, it was noticeably worse

How far North? About 16 years ago I lived in Plano. It wasn't quite that 'cold' but was getting there. When I went back for a work thing last week to Plano, it was noticeably worse

Lots of California people and "others" have been moving in. When you visit NorCal, unless you go into shop, how may howdies do you get? o_O And like I said before, younger generations don't do small talk. They kind of look at you and you know they are thinking "WTF? You talking' to me?" My younger son told me "You sure do talk with people. They just want to do their job," I said, "All I asked her to do was split an order and place it in two small boxes instead of one. It was a question, not her life story."

I think it's a sign of the times. People text and do their phones. Conversation is a lost art.

In addition to people having a lot of money here, which for some reason, has people clamming up. DFW is one big area. Big areas get less outwardly friendly for some reason.

Last edited:
Lots of California people and "others" have been moving in. When you visit NorCal, unless you go into shop, how may howdies do you get? o_O And like I said before, younger generations don't do small talk. They kind of look at you and you know they are thinking "WTF? You talking' to me?" My younger son told me "You sure do talk with people. They just want to do their job," I said, "All I asked her to do was split an order and place it in two small boxes instead of one. It was a question, not her life story."

I think it's a sign of the times. People text and do their phones. Conversation is a lost art.

In addition to people having a lot of money here, which for some reason, has people clamming up. DFW is one big area. Big areas get less outwardly friendly for some reason.

That's the biggest thing I've noticed in the 9 years or so since we moved here. How they haven't infiltrated FW yet is beyond me though. At least to the extent they have Dallas.
I have to admit, when we moved & settled in Waxahachie ( I know, south of 20) people were nice but not hospitable. They'd give you directions somewhere but you certainly weren't invited to church. As a good south Georgia boy, that was mind blowing to me. You move into small town GA, you need a calendar to keep up with the church invites, ball game invites & fish fry invites. Different world.

#don'tCaliforniamyTexas

I live in between the two so I'm the impartial arbiter. I like Dallas and Ft. Worth, depends on what I want to do and eat.
which would be Arlington:coffee: ;)

That's the biggest thing I've noticed in the 9 years or so since we moved here. How they haven't infiltrated FW yet is beyond me though. At least to the extent they have Dallas.
I have to admit, when we moved & settled in Waxahachie ( I know, south of 20) people were nice but not hospitable. They'd give you directions somewhere but you certainly weren't invited to church. As a good south Georgia boy, that was mind blowing to me. You move into small town GA, you need a calendar to keep up with the church invites, ball game invites & fish fry invites. Different world.

#don'tCaliforniamyTexas

But there still is a Church around every corner. Had a relative move here from NJ. "OMG, there are churches everywhere here!" I said, "Yes, lots of money in the Church business here.":ROFLMAO: Honestly, I went to a funeral in Plano where the preacher began by saying. "When I entered the Church business some 20 years ago..." I almost fell out of the pew.

If Dallas were to go to war with Ft Worth, who do you think would win? And which side wouldn’t shut up about it?

If Dallas were to go to war with Ft Worth, who do you think would win? And which side wouldn’t shut up about it?

The rivalry is not as cold as it once was - I grew up here when it was mean.

They now have common interests.

But there still is a Church around every corner. Had a relative move here from NJ. "OMG, there are churches everywhere here!" I said, "Yes, lots of money in the Church business here.":ROFLMAO: Honestly, I went to a funeral in Plano where the preacher began by saying. "When I entered the Church business some 20 years ago..." I almost fell out of the pew.

They are everywhere, it was just a little odd giving how I'd grown up is all.
We do prefer FW, most of my business is done there and like the slightly slower pace. Plus, it speaks to my cowboy background. N Dallas, y'all can have it. I'm too old & ornery for those young'uns.

Very True, I have lived in far North since '13 and I have been back since lat 10 when i moved back from Okinawa. I lived in Farmer Branch and Plano before moving up here. In the last 5 years My subdivision alone i have seen countless people from Cali move in, i mean A LOT ! Illinois and other too but not as much as Cali. Seriously 5 homes i could hit with a rock and more if i get out my wedge. Couple are friendly, some I am wearing down and answer when i holler , "how's it going" but most are younger and just come in go in the house and you really don't see them much

by far north, i mean i am north of Plano and Frisco. I do not say i live in Dallas

But Dallas has always been hoity-toity in some areas. Just like any large city.
This.
Believe it or not, there are even some areas like this in the St. Louis area. I was once pulled over in the '80s by a Ladue MO police officer for the unforgivable crime of being a long-haired musician driving (a BMW) through their 'burb. I was told in no uncertain terms that I wasn't welcome there.

Tough one... the Bass Brothers against the Hunts ... might have been a draw. Probably why they built DFW Airport together as their peace pipe.

Yes, and younger generations don't like to small talk like real Texans, so that adds to it. It's changed. Everyone is chasing something. I just want to chase a golf ball and find good food.

There is a different between small talk and being polite IMO. The people of Dallas border on rude, but that seems to translate to areas where there is significant money (Scottsdale and Hilton Head Island come to mind out of where I've visited).

I'm in Richardson. Much more image conscious than the college town I moved from 🙂

I'm in Richardson. Much more image conscious than the college town I moved from 🙂

Then Richardson has changed ... I grew up just south of it inside the LBJ.

Good Chinatown in Richardson off of Belt Line and I-75 Just East

This.
Believe it or not, there are even some areas like this in the St. Louis area. I was once pulled over in the '80s by a Ladue MO police officer for the unforgivable crime of being a long-haired musician driving (a BMW) through their 'burb. I was told in no uncertain terms that I wasn't welcome there.

Yep… I’m in Edwardsville, maybe 20 miles from downtown STL. Clayton is like that as well.

Every major metro area has its “zones.”

My sister and her family lives in Southlake, north of Dallas. They live a very frugal, modest life, but they’re in the minority in that town, I can tell you that for sure.

Desmond, I’m in Los Colinas. Any suggestions on where to get good brisket. I’m here on business. Lived in The Villages about 35 years old.
This place is still big.

Back