Why does everyone think Denver is the real deal and KC isn't?

RonInThornton

LEFTIES UNITE!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
28 GHIN
I know, everyone thinks Manning is the best thing since sliced bread, but is the Denver team really that good? All I keep hearing is that the only reason the Chiefs are doing so well is that they are playing a last place schedule, yet their schedule is almost identical to Denver's. Not counting each other, they play 9 of the same exact teams:
Chargers, Colts, Giants, Cowboys, Redskins, Raiders, Texans, Titans, and the Eagles

KC has remained undefeated with no name QB's, while playing the same schedule Denver is 8-1 with arguably the best QB in the league, so explain to me why KC is not the real deal.

No name QBs?
Alex Smith has one of the best starting records in football the last 3 years and was a #1 pick overall in the draft.

I know, everyone thinks Manning is the best thing since sliced bread, but is the Denver team really that good? All I keep hearing is that the only reason the Chiefs are doing so well is that they are playing a last place schedule, yet their schedule is almost identical to Denver's. Not counting each other, they play 9 of the same exact teams:
Chargers, Colts, Giants, Cowboys, Redskins, Raiders, Texans, Titans, and the Eagles

KC has remained undefeated with no name QB's, while playing the same schedule Denver is 8-1 with arguably the best QB in the league, so explain to me why KC is not the real deal.

I think part of it is KC was 2-14 last year and have been bad for so long, people are going to have some skepticism about them. Throw in the Alex Smith doubters, so I guess it's not shocking. I think KC is a legit contender--they don't make a lot of mistakes, have a solid QB, and the defense is very good. They just aren't flashy.

There is an NFL thread and a Denver offense thread. They play eachother twice and playoffs will be here before we know to see who is better... Talk is cheap and this conversation is garbage.

Boom.

I agree with JB. I think Alex Smith has landed on teams that have not had a great supporting cast receiver wise. Look at KC, Dwayne Bowe has been a bust since joining the league. I think Andy Reid has brought confidence to a team that lacked it in the past.

Going to be a good game and I think KC is going to prevail.

I think part of it is KC was 2-14 last year and have been bad for so long, people are going to have some skepticism about them. Throw in the Alex Smith doubters, so I guess it's not shocking. I think KC is a legit contender--they don't make a lot of mistakes, have a solid QB, and the defense is very good. They just aren't flashy.

Fwiw - Alex Smith's numbers are awful. The team is winning. It isn't because Smith is playing at a high level

No name QBs?
Alex Smith has one of the best starting records in football the last 3 years and was a #1 pick overall in the draft.

His record isn't bad but he's not a big name QB like Brees, Brady, Rogers or the Mannings.

I think this is it right here. The average fan doesn't appreciate good defense anymore. It's all about the offense and points. So they're going to recognize what Peyton is doing more than what the KC defense is doing.

Fwiw - Alex Smith's numbers are awful. The team is winning. It isn't because Smith is playing at a high level

They are? He is completing 60% of his passes and has more than twice the TDs to INTs. Despite a pass it everywhere kind of league, those numbers seem pretty darn adequate to me. Not glitzy, but hardly awful.

Chiefs look like a carbon copy of the 2011 49ers. It will be interesting to see what happens to Smith when he has to put the game on his shoulders. Yes, Smith had an incredible game against the Saints that year, but then he followed it up by completing one (friggen ONE) pass to a WR in the NFC championship game.

I wouldn't say they are awful. He's doing what he is being asked to do.

Why does everyone think Denver is the real deal and KC isn't?

What would I rather talk about. A team that has scored 40+ five times this year. Or a team that couldnt score an offensive touchdown against Buffalo

They are? He is completing 60% of his passes and has more than twice the TDs to INTs. Despite a pass it everywhere kind of league, those numbers seem pretty darn adequate to me. Not glitzy, but hardly awful.

You're right. I looked them up on my iFruit. They are better than I thought. But that offense is less than potent. The defense is amazing and a treat to watch. Oddly, it is a successful formula for some teams. But it doesn't feel like I could give the ball to Alex in a big game and expect a performance that will win.

Not everybody wants to throw it all over the field when they are up by 30 already.
And frankly if Green Bay was a run first team you would be saying how efficient their QB is.

I think it's that Alex Smith hasn't proven that he's The Man. He has come up short then got benched and traded. Let's not pretend that if you had a choice between Manning and Smith as your starting QB, you wouldn't choose Manning. He will go down as one of the best to ever play the game. Smith is a good QB but until he gets that swagger, that confidence, that he is one of the best in the NFL, he won't be a BIG name QB. He tweeted "9-0, who would have thought?" That's not confidence, that's not what I want from the leader of my team. I need Leonidas, I need Achilles out on the from lines leading my troops. Yes, I want him to stay humble but you have to make the people believe you're as good as advertised, and Smith hasn't done that yet.

I mean, he is no Scott Tolzien but I'm not sure he is awful

Smith was to an extent underrated in San Fran. Kapernik isn't necessarily lighting it up anymore now that defenses are wise to his style. Smith may not be Manning, but his is a capable QB who manages the game fairly well.

So far I don't believe either of those teams have beaten a team with a record OVER .500, in fact Denver lost to the only team it played over .500 being the Colts. So until one of those teams starts to do that or the other drops off Manning and the Broncos will get the credit.

As we get deeper into the season with injuries and winter weather, when Denver stumbles it will be explained away and they and Manning will still get the credit unless KC just finds a way to keep winning.

I think it's that Alex Smith hasn't proven that he's The Man. He has come up short then got benched and traded.

Could be wrong, but didnt he get hurt not benched. He was performing well before the jnjury.

Denver is a real city and so is KC and both cities have lots of golf courses and stuff

TTing

Denver is a real city and so is KC and both cities have lots of golf courses and stuff

TTing

Why does this not surprise me?

I cannot wait to see these two play twice. Should be lots of fun

I think it's that Alex Smith hasn't proven that he's The Man. He has come up short then got benched and traded. Let's not pretend that if you had a choice between Manning and Smith as your starting QB, you wouldn't choose Manning. He will go down as one of the best to ever play the game. Smith is a good QB but until he gets that swagger, that confidence, that he is one of the best in the NFL, he won't be a BIG name QB. He tweeted "9-0, who would have thought?" That's not confidence, that's not what I want from the leader of my team. I need Leonidas, I need Achilles out on the from lines leading my troops. Yes, I want him to stay humble but you have to make the people believe you're as good as advertised, and Smith hasn't done that yet.

He didn't get benched because he came up short. He was having an excellent year, coming off a remarkable perforrmance, and then got injured. He was never given the opportunity to earn his job back.

I think KC is the real deal due to that defense. Historically most teams who win the Super Bowl due to the D has at least an average QB. I just can't say that about Alex Smith. The niners D was amazing during Smith's tenure and he just couldn't move the ball and make the difficult throws. He likes the underneath safe throws. He manages risk to a point where he never takes any risk. If the team is ever down does anyone think Smith can orchestrate a comeback? I highly doubt it.

The thing that gets me is the sportscasters here keep up the chant that the only reason KC is doing so well is that they have a "Last place" schedule. Denver has almost the identical schedule.

I think KC is the real deal due to that defense. Historically most teams who win the Super Bowl due to the D has at least an average QB. I just can't say that about Alex Smith. The niners D was amazing during Smith's tenure and he just couldn't move the ball and make the difficult throws. He likes the underneath safe throws. He manages risk to a point where he never takes any risk. If the team is ever down does anyone think Smith can orchestrate a comeback? I highly doubt it.

Trent Dilfer was less of a QB than Smith for his entire career. He managed to win.

Back