Why does everyone want to change my swing?

I have a question for the OP, please don’t take offense, but @thegolfclubdoc are you female? It’s hard to tell directly from your posts.

36 is the default handicap that appears on your profile, so unless you change it, that is what people will see
I do think you can elect not to display it in your profile, but not 100% certain on that?
Yeah, I don't know how to change the profile handicap. I didn't realize it was there. Not that it matters to me anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, I don't know how to change the profile handicap. I didn't realize it was there. Not that it matters to me anyway.

If you click on your name at the top of the forum, then 'Account Details' you can update your handicap on that page

I've had it too. i think most of the time it comes from a desire to help. I've always accepted the feedback, but I don't always internalize or implement it.

as far as the equipment, you are free to game whatever you enjoy the most. but again, I think suggestions are made because people are just trying to be helpful. equipment has come pretty far, so maybe that 79 could be a 75 with improved technology.

This seems odd to me that you are constantly encountering this. Even when my swing was complete and utter trash I rarely encountered anyone giving me uninvited swing tips. Maybe I looked too far gone?
Either way, I'm sure it's irritating. Just say "No Thanks" and carry on IMO.

I have had this happen once or twice. Someone says, "Can I offer some advice?" I say, "No thank you!" Five minutes later they pipe up with, "You should take the club back more to the inside" or something similar. "Couldn't help yourself, could you...?" I sometimes respond with, "I'm taking lessons from a pro and I want to stick with his plan for the time being but I do appreciate your attempt to help!" If I'm feeling a little passive aggressive I may also offer some unsolicited fashion advice to even out the exchange. "Does that belt really go with those shoes? Have you considered that horizontal stripes don't really work well with someone your size?"...

Start telling people very forcefully that you don't want to hear their stupid ideas. Word will get around.

I've had it too. i think most of the time it comes from a desire to help. I've always accepted the feedback, but I don't always internalize or implement it.

as far as the equipment, you are free to game whatever you enjoy the most. but again, I think suggestions are made because people are just trying to be helpful. equipment has come pretty far, so maybe that 79 could be a 75 with improved technology.
And that's the comment I hear the most. I try to explain that it's not about the score for me. It's about what I like to play. I game Ping Zing irons, Ping Zing blonde driver and fairway woods and a Ping B60 putter. They are most favorite clubs to use. My dream set. That's what feels good to me. If I shoot a few strokes higher because I'm using those outdated clubs, then so be it. The whole game is about comfort and enjoyment for me. I'm pretty sure I could perform better if I used different clubs or took lessons. But I don't want golf to be about that. I don't want to have to think about the mechanics of my swing when I'm having a few beers and playing with friends or even strangers. And I don't want to chase all the new technology that comes out every month in search for those magical clubs.

And that's the comment I hear the most. I try to explain that it's not about the score for me. It's about what I like to play. I game Ping Zing irons, Ping Zing blonde driver and fairway woods and a Ping B60 putter. They are most favorite clubs to use. My dream set. That's what feels good to me. If I shoot a few strokes higher because I'm using those outdated clubs, then so be it. The whole game is about comfort and enjoyment for me. I'm pretty sure I could perform better if I used different clubs or took lessons. But I don't want golf to be about that. I don't want to have to think about the mechanics of my swing when I'm having a few beers and playing with friends or even strangers. And I don't want to chase all the new technology that comes out every month in search for those magical clubs.

i'm glad you have your dream set. that's an awesome feeling!

i'm not so sure if you upgraded your equipment you would all of a sudden feel the need to chase new technology. with a proper fitting, you may find substantial confidence in the new gear and be completely content. not saying i think you should do that, just responding to that last sentence.

i'm glad you have your dream set. that's an awesome feeling!

i'm not so sure if you upgraded your equipment you would all of a sudden feel the need to chase new technology. with a proper fitting, you may find substantial confidence in the new gear and be completely content. not saying i think you should do that, just responding to that last sentence.
I've done that before. It was when I tried an old maple laminate club that a buddy if mine had that I decided to ditch new technology and go more vintage. It's about the feel, the look, the sound and my comfort level. I'm not denying that new technology wouldn't perform better. But it isn't me. If it was something I liked I would play the new stuff.

It's always amazed me how many people know more about me than I do myself, and what clubs would be better suited to my game. I could care less what clubs anyone else is playing, and most of the "technology" gains are in the marketing area.

I F*^%$ love it when ppl feel the need to give swing tips and then proceed to chunk the sh*T out of their tee shot. I always just shrug, say thanks and play my game. If it continues to happen then I've had to say "thanks but just playing my game out here." we all have our good rounds and bad

I am really curious about this swing lol

I've been playing golf for a while now and I have recently gotten to a point where I'm comfortable with my swing, my equipment, and my game. I use vintage clubs and I'm constantly encouraged by just about every playing partner to upgrade to newer technology. Every time I play a round of golf, there is someone trying to give me swing tips. My last round of last season I shot a 79 on a decently difficult course, so I'm not that bad. It just bothers me that people won't let me be and always have some critique about my swing or my equipment.

One question.
On the course, do you complain about missed shots ?
If so, some may (mistakenly) interpret that as a call for help.

One question.
On the course, do you complain about missed shots ?
If so, some may (mistakenly) interpret that as a call for help.
To be honest, I don't play bad enough to complain like that. Golf is a destresser. So I'm having fun no matter how I'm playing. But I do see your reasoning.

If I had to liken it to a pro golfer, it looks most like Kenny Perry, maybe a tad bit smoother.

That doesn't sound that unorthodox. Kenny kinda stands the shaft up then shallows it.

That sucks, you should find better playing partners. Congrats on the 79

I'm a new player with plenty of noticeable gaps in my swing and rarely have people comment on my swing unsolicited. No one has ever commented on my clubs even though I was playing 20 year old callaways until very recently. Do you have a very unorthodox swing?

What? WHAT!! WHAT!!!

Everytime someone tries to offer advice, just respond with WHAT!!! loudly. They'll go away quickly.(y):LOL:

It sounds like you're comfortable with your golf game. Good for you man! Hopefully you enjoy some peace and quiet away from people bothering you about your game and clubs. (Nice clubs by the way. Ping blonde woods are beautiful)

The whole game is about comfort and enjoyment for me. I'm pretty sure I could perform better if I used different clubs or took lessons. But I don't want golf to be about that. I don't want to have to think about the mechanics of my swing when I'm having a few beers and playing with friends or even strangers. And I don't want to chase all the new technology that comes out every month in search for those magical clubs.

Excellent approach to the game, I admire your attitude.

Back