Why does everyone want to change my swing?

Here you go! Critique away!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Well I see half the problem. Sir, you're inside a house. This is no place to be swinging a club where there are way too many things to hit like walls, glass tables, decorative %&@* all over the place etc. :ROFLMAO:

It's not textbook, but like.. Who cares. If you're in the low 80's, that's all that matters.

It was too cold to make a video outside. I'm in Illinois. It's still very frigid.

Looks good to me - good setup and rhythm, and the only thing that matters is whether the ball flies like you want it. Golf lends itself to this type of thing because 1.) Everyone's game is on display 2.) Everyone saw Peter Kostis analyze a swing on CBS and now they're an expert, and 3.) No one can understand why the guy who isn't wrapped up in Golf Digest tips is whipping them.

It was too cold to make a video outside. I'm in Illinois. It's still very frigid.

That checks out. As far as background noise when you're at the range, you could always wear some sort of wireless headphones, even if there's nothing being played. No one tends to bother people who have headphones in haha

A fore instance...I played with a guy last year who played cross handed..right handed with right hand on high side of grip. He played pretty well....He was a real talker....Anyway I knew he wanted to talk about his grip....Not with me....I could care less what you do, what you play with...yada, yada, yada....Many times individuals seek out attention....Not from me. Do your thing. I'll do mine.

I've been playing golf for a while now and I have recently gotten to a point where I'm comfortable with my swing, my equipment, and my game. I use vintage clubs and I'm constantly encouraged by just about every playing partner to upgrade to newer technology. Every time I play a round of golf, there is someone trying to give me swing tips. My last round of last season I shot a 79 on a decently difficult course, so I'm not that bad. It just bothers me that people won't let me be and always have some critique about my swing or my equipment.

I say enjoy golf the way you want to enjoy golf. I have a wooden 4 wood from my grandfather who passed and occasionally I put it in my bag in place of my driver because it brings me joy swinging it.. Do what your enjoy and tune out the noise

I say enjoy golf the way you want to enjoy golf. I have a wooden 4 wood from my grandfather who passed and occasionally I put it in my bag in place of my driver because it brings me joy swinging it.. Do what your enjoy and tune out the noise
I think that's what people miss when they recommend new technology. Some of the old equipment is a lot of fun to use. I don't need adjustability. I don't need a 460cc head. I just want something that looks, sounds, and feels nice. That's it. I would rather play with a persimmon driver that I found in the bins at Goodwill than anything new. Although, I do have a titanium Ping Zing 2 driver that's really nice. It's still old, but new to me.

Swaying doesn't seem to bother my swing. It feels so natural and I get into a good rhythm with it. Actually, I love everything about my swing. I used to be the guy that took tips from people. But, it jacked up my swing and I started to not like the game. I decided that I wasn't going to listen to anyone anymore and since making that decision I have played my best golf. I went from shooting in the 100s to shooting in the 80s. I don't work on my swing at all anymore. I just swing because I like swinging. And I'm becoming more consistent over time without changing anything. That's one of the reasons why I get annoyed by other people commenting because I'm playing the best golf I have ever played and it's easy and enjoyable. I don't want anyone to disrupt my peace with the game.

Great to hear where your game is at. It doesn't matter what it looks like, the only thing the ball cares about is impact. If you hit it with a square face and the right dynamic loft and club head speed, the ball will go where you're aiming and the distance you want it to. Don't change for anyone but you.

The only thing you need to do is get the club square at impact and it does not matter how you get there or how it looks just swing your swing

QFT!

I think that's what people miss when they recommend new technology. Some of the old equipment is a lot of fun to use. I don't need adjustability. I don't need a 460cc head. I just want something that looks, sounds, and feels nice. That's it. I would rather play with a persimmon driver that I found in the bins at Goodwill than anything new. Although, I do have a titanium Ping Zing 2 driver that's really nice. It's still old, but new to me.

That's the right attitude and I love that. Keep rocking the clubs you like. I enjoy playing unusual / different clubs.

I think my favorite reply to the range "pro" offering advice is an enthusiastic "oh, thats fantastic!! How long have you been teaching?" Then I like to play dumb as they stumble through that answer and follow with a "you mean you're just a random guy offering advice?!?" Aaaand end of conversation!

I think my favorite reply to the range "pro" offering advice is an enthusiastic "oh, thats fantastic!! How long have you been teaching?" Then I like to play dumb as they stumble through that answer and follow with a "you mean you're just a random guy offering advice?!?" Aaaand end of conversation!
Love it.

s far as background noise when you're at the range, you could always wear some sort of wireless headphones, even if there's nothing being played. No one tends to bother people who have headphones in haha
That's not a bad idea. Probably better than wearing a shirt that reads "Keep your ******** advice to yourself", which is what I was going to suggest.

What I find interesting is the advice that they give. It sounds like a collection of greatest hits of golf myths that they have regurgitated. Like, keep my left arm straight. I hear that one all the time. Everyone wants to change my grip. They tell me I should have a stronger grip if I want to hit it farther. And then the swaying. They want me to keep my head perfectly still. I had tried all of these things and the only thing I succeeded in doing is feeling uncomfortable and shooting higher scores while not having fun.

I've been playing golf for a while now and I have recently gotten to a point where I'm comfortable with my swing, my equipment, and my game. I use vintage clubs and I'm constantly encouraged by just about every playing partner to upgrade to newer technology. Every time I play a round of golf, there is someone trying to give me swing tips. My last round of last season I shot a 79 on a decently difficult course, so I'm not that bad. It just bothers me that people won't let me be and always have some critique about my swing or my equipment.

Vintage? Like persimmon woods and some old Wilson irons? Shooting a 79 with that kind of equipment is a huge feat in itself! If you’re striking the ball well, who cares what anyone else says!!

Vintage? Like persimmon woods and some old Wilson irons? Shooting a 79 with that kind of equipment is a huge feat in itself! If you’re striking the ball well, who cares what anyone else says!!
I play Ping Zing irons from the early 90s. I have a set of blonde maple laminate Ping Zing woods (driver, 3 wood, and 5 wood) from the same time period. The irons are super forgiving. I can't explain how easy they are to hit great shots with. The woods aren't the easiest to hit but they are pretty and feel so sweet when you hit the solid. The sound they make is unmatched by new technology. My vintage equipment just feels right to me. I try newer stuff, but I just can't develop a feel for it like my Ping Zings. As far as me shooting 79, it's my best score. I do shoot mostly in in the low to mid 80s. The beauty of my game and my clubs is that I get familiar with all of the clubs in my bag because I'm not just bombing driver and following up with a wedge. At the end of the round I have to clean all of my clubs.

I play Ping Zing irons from the early 90s. I have a set of blonde maple laminate Ping Zing woods (driver, 3 wood, and 5 wood) from the same time period. The irons are super forgiving. I can't explain how easy they are to hit great shots with. The woods aren't the easiest to hit but they are pretty and feel so sweet when you hit the solid. The sound they make is unmatched by new technology. My vintage equipment just feels right to me. I try newer stuff, but I just can't develop a feel for it like my Ping Zings. As far as me shooting 79, it's my best score. I do shoot mostly in in the low to mid 80s. The beauty of my game and my clubs is that I get familiar with all of the clubs in my bag because I'm not just bombing driver and following up with a wedge. At the end of the round I have to clean all of my clubs.

Hey I love it!! Play whatever you want to play!! I've been toying around with the idea of getting an older set of clubs to take to the course sometime.
This might have taken me over the edge!

Hey I love it!! Play whatever you want to play!! I've been toying around with the idea of getting an older set of clubs to take to the course sometime.
This might have taken me over the edge!
You should try them. It can be very rewarding if you do like them. It's one of the great things about this game, you can customize your whole bag however you like.

I'd like to have your 12 HCP and best 79 overall on a par 72 difficult course. If you still have that card, show the offending teacher a picture of your card then carry on playing and be very thankful. I suppose an STFU will also never hurt.

I picked up a used set of ping eye 2 +'s last year and am starting to use them more often that my modern three year old set

I'd like to have your 12 HCP and best 79 overall on a par 72 difficult course. If you still have that card, show the offending teacher a picture of your card then carry on playing and be very thankful. I suppose an STFU will also never hurt.

I picked up a used set of ping eye 2 +'s last year and am starting to use them more often that my modern three year old set
The Ping Eye 2+ set is my second favorite set of irons. Those are legendary. Awesome pick up for you.

Because they just see it and they don’t play with your swing. If you’re happy with it then swing your sword.

I don't know what you mean by vintage cubs, but my driver is a Titleist 975D from 2002, and my irons are Hogan RedLines from 1988. As for your swing, maybe it looks like an ocotpus falling out of a tree, but if you can shoot 79 with it, who cares?

I was playing the other weeks and one of the older guys(who has a beautiful swing) said "You know, I can give a lot of people a little advice about their swing, but with you I have no idea." I have a very unique swing but it works for me. My buddy who is very good will give me small things to work on but does not change my overall swing. I take the advice because I want to be as good as I can be.

If you have a unique swing and like playing older clubs then you do you. I want to get a set of my granddads older clubs with persimmon woods just to go out and play with occasionally because I think it would be fun.

Maybe next time someone says something ask to see them hit a few balls and you'll tell them what they are doing wrong. If they are really bad tell them you'll go play them $20 a hole.:ROFLMAO:

Best advice I can say is don’t take it as negative, like people here have said most others are just trying to help, if you are fine with your game and equipment then what I would politely say is “thanks but I’m good with it now.” I always keep an open mind of course, but the main thing is just have fun and never let it ruin your day, life is too short, just enjoy it.

Back