Why don't more golfers fit their grips?

Once I started replacing my own grips, it became a lot more convenient to try different sizes/styles. Have mostly settled on a standard size reduced taper version. Really liked ones with reminders (ribbed) on my long clubs but didn’t on wedges or the Titleist driver at the time (due to grip moving with setting changes) so abandoned them.

It makes a diff for me. Have always used mid size Lamkin Corded grips to reduce hand flipping.
Have slowly been buying zx5 irons piece meal now that I'm getting back into the sport. Noticed on some of the new used irons I was hooking the ball. Wasn't until last night I thought to look at the grips. Some stock standard, some mid sized. Can't believe I had not thought of this sooner. The standard size was causing my hands to turn over faster. More bad news is it looks like Lamkin no longer makes the Corded grips I like.

Once you go mid size you never go back :p
I am also a tennis player so the wrap grips seem more familiar and I feel a bigger grip helps relax my wrists

The Mid Sized looks kinda small to me at times...😂

How many times would one have to do a grip fitting?

I would think once would do it if one stays with the same model.

All thirteen of my non-putter grips are presently the same--Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G, std size, and I'm content with them.

It baffles me how many golfers don’t seem to care about their only physical contact with the golf club.

I have been told it is a feel thing.

I do have a question about regripping.... I have cobra connect grips on my clubs . I was wondering if they could take them off add some tape to build them up and use the grips again? They grips still have a lot of life in them.

It baffles me how many golfers don’t seem to care about their only physical contact with the golf club.

Maybe it's not that they don't care, so much as they don't understand it's importance. TBH when you go to a golf store or buy online there aren't a lot of different tools to help educate you on what you truly need.

Several places just told me to go with what feels good and performs well. I had no specific performance criteria on what that meant. The nice people at Golf Pride Grips answered an email for me to help educate me on golf grips. So glad they did.

My hand size measures to a normal grip, but I like the feel of the larger grips. I am experimenting with a standard grip with additional wrapping this year to see how that feels.

When I was fitted for irons they told me Standard size. One of the irons I bought used had standard and the others had medium. The Standard kept causing me to turn over the club face too fast. Just ordered a set of Lamkin Full Cords to be installed. Same grips that are on my Zings in medium.

When I was fitted for irons they told me Standard size. One of the irons I bought used had standard and the others had medium. The Standard kept causing me to turn over the club face too fast. Just ordered a set of Lamkin Full Cords to be installed. Same grips that are on my Zings in medium.
Lamkin full cords, great choice 👌. I fitted them to my irons a few weeks back and love them!

I tend to go 2 extra wraps on a regular size grip to get my fingers at the palm but go +4 on the last 2 wedges for less release and no extra on driver for more release.

Grips fitting? I say go with what works, but it's only my opinion.

I have XXL glove size hands and could not stand playing anything midsize because I wanted the club in my fingers away from my palm. ( Idid eventually start using them) I know many very good scratch players that are the same way. Almost all of them say that the larger grip size affected their feel & release.....and I agree.

And then, I've known many really good players with smaller hands than me who loved to use mid size & jumbo grips.

I now play midsize exclusively since my wrist surgery and place the grip more in the palm because it stabilizes my wrist a little better. I may need to make a move to jumbo grips in the next couple years....who knows?

I have been told it is a feel thing.

I do have a question about regripping.... I have cobra connect grips on my clubs . I was wondering if they could take them off add some tape to build them up and use the grips again? They grips still have a lot of life in them.
I reused grips whenever needed. No need to throw a grip away that is nothing wrong with it.

As an aside, I noticed that GP Grips slick up faster than let's say, Lamkin.

I use a pumice stone on a wet grip to rough it up. It helps.

I've been using mid-size grips for years and even Jumbo's on my wedges. My hands are not large. I felt the larger grips let me keep less grip pressure and think they did.

Now, as I've been working on my grip I find I want the club down in the groves of my left hand fingers not in my left palm. I find some grip style and sizes work better to create this feeling. I have a set of regular grips ready to go on my clubs as we get closer to the start of spring golf

I have done some basic fitting with grips, technically I should be in a midsize grip but I prefer them to be a little smaller

Before I selected a grip for the SeeMore Mini Giant I was set to review, I researched each grip available to see if any of them had benefits to help my putting stroke. I was very intrigued by Garsen grips and their claims. We shall see how it goes. It's an awesome grip to say the least!

I will eventually swap all my grips and replace them some type of midsize +4 grip. I have about 5 types of grips now (I have been testing them). I like the MCC +4 as it as some cord (upper hand I think) and a softer feel (to me) being midsize. I really love the feel of the Z cord but it's not soft and my arthritis doe not get along with it too well. If they made a Z cord +4 I think it would be the perfect grip. I talked however briefly with my instructor yesterday about just that, he said just build them up yourself - so that may be what I do. Just add 4 layers of tape on the lower half of the grip. I'm just not sure I want the hassle.:rolleyes:

Lamkin full cords, great choice 👌. I fitted them to my irons a few weeks back and love them!
Other than on Tour I guess Cords are not a popular choice since Golf Galaxy had to special order them. I was worried they were discontinued since I have been using them for 30 years. I don't strangle my grips so my gloves and grips last many years.

Part of the issue with grips and THE grip is lack of understanding of a proper grip.

If people understood a fundamental golf grip involves keeping the fingers next to one another snug but not tight with as little space as anatomically possible between them, they could more easily determine the grip size that works for them. The more space needed between fingers (due to arthritis or just stiff hands and fingers) the larger grip needed.

I learned this from a Martin Chuck video where he corrects a student who used an improper interlocking grip (interlocked down to the webs of the fingers). He has the student interlock closer to the finger tips and explains the need for as little space between the fingers as possible.

Back