Why don't they mention single plane?

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
I've watched a lot of the US Open including the GC recap on now and why haven't mention that Bryson is a single plane guy? They call him a scientist, he's different, he's stronger, he plays single length clubs, the USGA needs to reel back the game against long hitters. But, nothing about single plane nor a Moe Norman reference. Interesting article from 2019.

I didn't get to watch much of this tournament, but I've heard it mentioned quite a few times in other recent ones. I know Faldo's talked about it.

I watched all 4 days being in Quarantine and didn't hear it mentioned 3 times. They mentioned his clubs and how Bryson noticed Sam Sneads single length set but no real discussion at all at why he is different than most golfers other than how he bulked up.

At least with his driver and "new" swing it isn't (as much at least) single plane anymore and is quite a lot longer as he needs more leverage to get up to 130 mph. I know this has been mentioned by Brandel quite many times since he made his transformation.

At least with his driver and "new" swing it isn't (as much at least) single plane anymore and is quite a lot longer as he needs more leverage to get up to 130 mph. I know this has been mentioned by Brandel quite many times since he made his transformation.

was thinking the same thing. i didn’t realize until today that bryson is working with chris como who i don’t believe teaches single plane.

I noticed that myself. Found it interesting like you did that they didn't talk that much about it. I guess everyone forgets he was pretty good before he found the weight room. I guess with him lifting, using single length, being scientific, and crushing the ball there's just too much to talk about. Maybe now that he's win a major Faldo will can the criticism of the graphite shafts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

His arms are clearly up on all of his shots (including putting) indicating a one plane swing. Perhaps, there are additional elements of his swing beyond the one plane.

Isn't talking about the single plane swing/single length irons with Bryson beating a dead horse at this point since he has been on tour a few years? I felt that it was all they talked about once he got on tour. They seem to have moved on to continuously talking about him bulking up and next they will talk continuously about him with a 48" driver.

He's a unique guy doing a lot of unique things but I feel like his swing has now been normalized in reference to talking about him because it's not new anymore.

The other day I wondering why don't I hear more about single plane vs two plane anymore, not specific to Bryson. Is teaching this way still a thing? I feel like I haven't heard these terms used in about 10 years. (then again, I haven't gotten a swing lesson since high school, 15+ years)

The other day I wondering why don't I hear more about single plane vs two plane anymore, not specific to Bryson. Is teaching this way still a thing?
I don't know. What I do know is that when I was taking classes and jokingly mentioned to my instructor I'd bought a "Bryson DeChambeau hat," but didn't have the chutzpah to wear it to class, he laughed and replied "Go ahead and wear it, but don't even think about asking me to teach you his swing." :)

I'm struggling with the driver. Watching a couple single-plane swing vids I'm thinking "Ah hah." The problems the proponents of single-plane swing say are inherent to traditional swing I suspect are part of what is afflicting me. I may have to give it a try.

The other day I wondering why don't I hear more about single plane vs two plane anymore, not specific to Bryson. Is teaching this way still a thing? I feel like I haven't heard these terms used in about 10 years. (then again, I haven't gotten a swing lesson since high school, 15+ years)
You can find instructors that teach single plane but there just aren’t that many. It’s a “non traditional” way of playing the game, like single length clubs, and most people are inherently resistant to making such a big change all at once.

You can find instructors that teach single plane but there just aren’t that many. It’s a “non traditional” way of playing the game, like single length clubs, and most people are inherently resistant to making such a big change all at once.

It is a big change. I guess to do it Brysons' way, one would have to get single length clubs and new bigger grips. Not everyone is in the market for that type of investment. But, it was sure fun to watch him smash his drivers and many times he just had a pitching wedge in. I give him credit for going with this new method early in his career. He probably would have had a ok career with a traditional swing.

I watched all 4 days being in Quarantine and didn't hear it mentioned 3 times. They mentioned his clubs and how Bryson noticed Sam Sneads single length set but no real discussion at all at why he is different than most golfers other than how he bulked up.

It wasn't Sam Sneads clubs, it was Bobby Jones. They have a set on display in the Augusta National clubhouse, and that's where he saw them.

It is a big change. I guess to do it Brysons' way, one would have to get single length clubs and new bigger grips. Not everyone is in the market for that type of investment. But, it was sure fun to watch him smash his drivers and many times he just had a pitching wedge in. I give him credit for going with this new method early in his career. He probably would have had a ok career with a traditional swing.

When you think about it, both DeChambeau and Wolff both have unorthodox swings and they finished 1-2.

Bryson's swing has a lot of similar elements to a professional axeman in the sport of wood chopping. One has to be really strong to be an axeman.

It wasn't Sam Sneads clubs, it was Bobby Jones. They have a set on display in the Augusta National clubhouse, and that's where he saw them.

When you think about it, both DeChambeau and Wolff both have unorthodox swings and they finished 1-2.

True, honestly, if Wolff doesn't do his little pre-set move prior to his swing, we would compare him to Furyk. It would be a little less unusual.

Miller Barber's swing is a compromise between DeChambeau and Wolff. Miller was a tough man to beat during the 1980's .

To me, Moe's swing simply makes sense, yet some of us cannot fully extend like that. I do a partial Moe swing because when I extend fully I am not as consistent with my ball strikes. If Moe had of been buffed like Bryson no telling how golf would have changed because Moe was a somewhat husky dude. I think Bryson's swings does emulate Moe's swing.

I never forget the video where the people were watching Moe and he would pull off various shots and he would say "Watch this" as he aimed at a sign and hit the sign. You could here the sign ring out when the ball hit it. Moe was certainly fun, fascinating, and amazing to watch when he struck a golf ball with such precision.

True, honestly, if Wolff doesn't do his little pre-set move prior to his swing, we would compare him to Furyk. It would be a little less unusual.

I saw where they did a swing analysis of Wolf’a swing and once he gets to the top it is the same as 99% of other pro’s swings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noticed that as well, much more single plane last year or two. These days he get's his driver pointing well right of target at the top with a bit of a loop for that extra ooomph...

I saw where they did a swing analysis of Wolf’a swing and once he gets to the top it is the same as 99% of other pro’s swings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

and impact too. Most pros I'd say are pretty close to each other.

Back