Why is it that Cobra is the only major OEM with Single Length Clubs?

smgoldstein

2022 Goat Cupper
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
For the golf equipment companies, by and large it is a copy cat industry. All the OEM's have adjustable drivers, hybrids, irons ranging from game improvement to players clubs, Anser style putters, tour level balls etc. So why is it that Cobra is the only one with Single Length clubs. Callaway, TaylorMade, Titleist etc. all have strong R&D, technology and manufacturing departments so they could certainly put out a quality single length product. Is it that they don't have a big name gaming them like Bryson and Cobra? Is it that they don't believe in the product? Something else?

For the golf equipment companies, by and large it is a copy cat industry. All the OEM's have adjustable drivers, hybrids, irons ranging from game improvement to players clubs, Anser style putters, tour level balls etc. So why is it that Cobra is the only one with Single Length clubs. Callaway, TaylorMade, Titleist etc. all have strong R&D, technology and manufacturing departments so they could certainly put out a quality single length product. Is it that they don't have a big name gaming them like Bryson and Cobra? Is it that they don't believe in the product? Something else?
I would say it is a lot to do with the amount of time and man power to engineer them. There is way more to it then just grabbing a bunch of shafts the same length and sticking them in heads.

Tommy Armour brought out the EQL irons in the late 80s.
889DCA80-7EC5-4F2A-80A1-2214242A6082.png

Probably like most things, supply and demand.

My guess is that once the single length club market gets more action, the other OEMs will come up with their own version of OL clubs.

I tried a set around the first of the year Played/practiced with them for 30 days. Just never caught on with me.

I know quite a few golfers at my home course, and none are playing OL clubs. My cousin has a friend who plays them.

Someone correct me here as needed, but wasn't there a company that produced a OL club set, maybe 20-25 years ago? Before Cobra?

I know back in the day, (1990s ?) a few garage club tinkers I knew of tried building their own OL sets.

Definitely demand. Cobra have jumped the gun on the others because they have Bryson on board being successful with them. Without his success OL wouldn't even be a thing and would have faded back into obscurity.

I would imagine in the next few years there will be more OEMs that come out with their own version.
I was very skeptical until I got them with my MC bag. I think there will be a threshold of acceptance of 3-4% then a lot of companies will make them

Golfers want to play what the pros use. Right now, only Bryson is trying the one length and the other pros have stayed away. I don’t see the other companies jumping in until they sign a pro that will use the one length setup.

Golfers want to play what the pros use. Right now, only Bryson is trying the one length and the other pros have stayed away. I don’t see the other companies jumping in until they sign a pro that will use the one length setup.
This makes a lot of sense to me. Anyone know how prevalent they are in the junior amateur ranks?

It wouldn’t surprise me if other OEM’s have dabbled with single length behind closed doors recently. It does work, you just have to stick with it for awhile.

I would just about bet that Callaway has dedicated some super computer A.I. time on development of OL irons.

I'm not so sure. I personally don't know any golfers who make equipment decisions based on what pros play. It's really irrelevant to them and also to the vast majority of golfers. Then again, I don't know everyone 😳

Yes, there isn't the demand to convince other manufacturers to put their toe in the water. Now why isn't there demand. In short, no one has made the case for one-length clubs yet--at least not to the masses. Here are a few things I'd look for.

Proof that I'd play better with one-length clubs. This could happen in a variety of ways. If Bryson started dominating the tour showing a prowess with approach shots beyond what most pros produce. If a bunch of other pros went to one-length and had success. If more and more up and coming players were entering the tour using one-length clubs.

More teaching pros started advocating and teaching a single plane swing with one-length clubs. This would both suggest instructors see an advantage to learning and playing this way AND it would remove a key barrier, if you wanted to go to OL clubs where would you get the instruction to get the most out of them.

Then you would see more manufacturers offering these clubs. They aren't going to lead on this. They are going to follow.

While I was considering one length I scoured YouTube looking for relevant content. Most of what I found were well known content creators testing out one length clubs over one range session and declaring they are not clubs for them. It takes a commitment to change to one length from standard and it's a pretty expensive experiment if you are not 100% sold on the idea. I think one length growth will come from roping in new golfers or selling them to high handicappers like me as the ultimate game improvement clubs.

Because Cobra did not move many units maybe? If they were selling a lot there would be many companies on the bandwagon by now.
Definitely not the case.

Definitely not the case.
Do you have an authoritative industry source or is this just your impression? Also, if you do have an industry source for this information can you please divulge it along with units or market share data?

Yes, there isn't the demand to convince other manufacturers to put their toe in the water.

"Do you have an authoritative industry source or is this just your impression? Also, if you do have an industry source for this information can you please divulge it along with units or market share data?"

Lots is speculation in this thread. Nothing wrong with that until you call someone out for it because they don't agree with your speculation.

It takes a commitment to change to one length from standard and it's a pretty expensive experiment if you are not 100% sold on the idea.

I don’t know that this is true. Do you have a conscious difference in your swing when you’re hitting an 8 iron vs. a 5 iron? I know I don’t. Any adjustment that takes place is completely subconscious. I played one length irons for a good while and had no trouble adjusting to them. I only switched back to variable length due to finding a better deal, and had no problem switching back.

I would agree that it probably takes some mental buy in from some to successfully switch to single length irons. For some people it is counterintuitive. For me it makes total sense. The first thing I thought when messing around with a set of clubs for the first time was, “Why are they all different lengths”? One length makes a ton of sense to me, but I can certainly see why somebody who has played a long time with “normal” irons would find the idea strange. I think if they could get over that mental hurdle, one length wouldn’t be an issue.

Do you have an authoritative industry source or is this just your impression? Also, if you do have an industry source for this information can you please divulge it along with units or market share data?

This article is somewhat stale (F7 irons) but Cobra's rep said at the time the sales mix between OL and variable was 60% OL vs 40% variable for irons.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it's now 50% OL. That kind of makes sense given the current name recognition of Bryson (more successful on tour today than back in 2017/2018) and they've had a few years to improve and tweak the OL product. Also they've introduced more OL products since 17 with hybrids and utility irons.

Full disclosure: I actually gamed the first gen OL irons (Cobra F7s) for a season and a half. So I did a ton of research back then on them. Decided they were not for me and no longer play OLs.

They haven't found enough market potential to invest in development and a way to make/present them as unique and better than current OL offerings, probably partly because of the former. If the numbers added up to make a bunch of money on it and increase brand value, they would/will do it.

My guess is money. if they are hitting targeted sales goals with traditional length irons, why spend a lot of time/money into being 2nd into the market with someone?

My guess is if another OEM makes the move, it will be one who is looking to boost overall numbers and grab market share from others.

Have actually been looking at brands other than Cobra since before they came out with them because I really think they would help my game. I play all my shots except driver with the same set up so it makes sense to me. Just haven't been able to find a set cheap enough yet on the used market. Figure that I'll stumble across a set somewhere someday, I don't have to have Cobra because I don't hit some of their irons very well. Probably the latest model Cobra irons I have had is a set of AMP's that I did like. I do understand that it's the Indian not the arrow but it's much easier to switch clubs. Then hope.

This article is somewhat stale (F7 irons) but Cobra's rep said at the time the sales mix between OL and variable was 60% OL vs 40% variable for irons.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that it's now 50% OL. That kind of makes sense given the current name recognition of Bryson (more successful on tour today than back in 2017/2018) and they've had a few years to improve and tweak the OL product. Also they've introduced more OL products since 17 with hybrids and utility irons.

Full disclosure: I actually gamed the first gen OL irons (Cobra F7s) for a season and a half. So I did a ton of research back then on them. Decided they were not for me and no longer play OLs.
Frank, thanks a lot for the link and post. Let's see if we can take this a couple of steps further.

Let's say the 50% mix number is correct. NGF and one other source say Cobra has about 5% of the iron set market in units sold. That suggests the market share for OL irons is about 2.5% of the market. That's not insignificant, but it isn't setting the world on fire either.

Then there is this.

I found a graphic showing Cobra also had a 5% market share in irons in 2016. That was the year before they came out with the OL irons. That suggests OL irons haven't really done anything for Cobra. It changed their mix, but didn't accelerate their sales. Given all the advertising and publicity they've gotten around the OL irons that's disappointing.

I don’t think 50% is the number. As of last year, the Cobra rep said it was 30-35%. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is higher now, but don’t think it is 50%. I think they are having a banner year, but not sure what market share that they are at in 2021

Back