Why is the PGA Championship Still a Major?

Have you played Harding Park?? I don't know the others. But I have played Harding. It is beautiful...I would say it is a better course than Torrey..
Please come play Quail if you havent prior to making that comment. Johhny Harris has spent his adult lfe getting Quail to a point where it is a great golf course. My reaction is soley based on what the players say. If was a good test in its first major and will be for The President's Cup. Why the need to knock it.

Have you played Harding Park?? I don't know the others. But I have played Harding. It is beautiful...I would say it is a better course than Torrey..
I'm sure it's a very nice course, and I don't think Torrey is anything special. But neither of them are Shinnecock, Oakmont, Pebble, Augusta, Muirfield, Portrush, etc.

I feel like the field is great because its considered a major. I think the field is also great at Player's Championship. It would be even more competitive and viewership would climb if they labeled it as a Major. Understanding the "Grand Slam" still needs to stick around and golf is a traditionalist sport with little changes, doubt we see one drop or for that matter one added.

Why is the PGA Championship a major over the BMW PGA? The Players is the premier tournament for what is by far the largest and most watched golf tour in the world.

The Players is "the tour's event". But there is still "The Tour Championship" which should be, you know, a bigger deal than a tournament in February. I'm not saying The Players isn't a big deal, I am saying I can't make a case for it being named a major over a tournament that has been played since 1916.

At the same time, being "a major" is all about marketing and hype anyways. Sure, call The Players a major. Call the Texas Open a major. RBC Canadian Open, sure that's a major too. Australian Masters, hell yeah that's a major.

oprahmeme.gif

Probably the players is usually highlighted due to the US centric golf media. Also I will not deny that the Players usually draws one of if not the strongest fields. But since I normally watch the PGA tour it does come to my mind before those Euro Tour events and whatever the Race to Dubai/Rolex series is now.

Of course the US centrism of the sport is why.

As much as I like The Players, I just get sick and tired of the 17th being shoved down our throats like it's something worth highlighting every year. Between the 17th at Sawgrass and the sign at Bethpage Black, I am convinced golf marketing people are out of ideas.

Here are 40-50 in world ranking. How many of them do you "actually' think can win??? Collin Morikawa in a few years, and Jason Day maybe if he does not withdraw do to back injury. . The others have zero chance to ever win the masters.

1589563372458.png

Harding Park
Bethpage
Bellrieve
Qauil Hollow
Baltursol
Whistling Straights
Valhalla (ill give you this one)
Oak Hill
Kiawah OC
Atlanta Athletic Club (highlands)
Whistleling Straights
Hazeltine
Medinah

Pretty strong group there for the past 20 years save a few. Most better and more enjoyable to watch than Saw Grass
The only ones I would put over Sawgrass are Bethpage, Whistling Straits and Kiawah.
Bellerive, Hazeltine, Quail Hollow, Medinah, and AAC- eh. I actually like Valhalla more than most.

The top 50 OWGR are invited, as I believe the winners of tournaments in the past year. So it's not just 20.
Yes, Larry Mize really had a chance to win the last few years.

Please come play Quail if you havent prior to making that comment. Johhny Harris has spent his adult lfe getting Quail to a point where it is a great golf course. My reaction is soley based on what the players say. If was a good test in its first major and will be for The President's Cup. Why the need to knock it.

Please understand I said I do not know anything about Quail. I am sure it is great. I was not knocking it. I was saying Harding is wonderful and is a worthy host. Thats all. I feel it was being discounted without being seen.

For those that argue tradition, competition field, marquee course and overall enjoyable event with hype... Aren't those all surrounding the Players? I am sure they could grow the rough longer if you wanted more battle tested road to Sunday's winners circle, but that course is a grind. especially the last three.

I'm sure it's a very nice course, and I don't think Torrey is anything special. But neither of them are Shinnecock, Oakmont, Pebble, Augusta, Muirfield, Portrush, etc.

I mean yes I certainly will agree that the U.S. Open and the British Open typically have better courses for their venue, but that’s because they are national opens.

For those that argue tradition, competition field, marquee course and overall enjoyable event with hype... Aren't those all surrounding the Players?

They 100% are. But as the Players. Not a major. I think it is prestigious being its own thing. Maybe even more so because of that.

I'm not saying any of them are bad courses. I'm sure it's good to great. But saying it isn't on the level of most of the courses of the other majors isn't knocking it- they may still be great but not at the greatness levels of the others.

For those that argue tradition, competition field, marquee course and overall enjoyable event with hype... Aren't those all surrounding the Players? I am sure they could grow the rough longer if you wanted more battle tested road to Sunday's winners circle, but that course is a grind. especially the last three.
There are older PGA Tour stops than The Players. Make The Texas Open a major. Call it a major and increase the purse, solved.

The Players is "the tour's event". But there is still "The Tour Championship" which should be, you know, a bigger deal than a tournament in February. I'm not saying The Players isn't a big deal, I am saying I can't make a case for it being named a major over a tournament that has been played since 1916.

At the same time, being "a major" is all about marketing and hype anyways. Sure, call The Players a major. Call the Texas Open a major. RBC Canadian Open, sure that's a major too. Australian Masters, hell yeah that's a major.

oprahmeme.gif

Of course the US centrism of the sport is why.

As much as I like The Players, I just get sick and tired of the 17th being shoved down our throats like it's something worth highlighting every year. Between the 17th at Sawgrass and the sign at Bethpage Black, I am convinced golf marketing people are out of ideas.
History is not really a reason. The Western Open, now the BMW Championship, is older than the PGA Championship and it lost its major status a long time ago. And as mentioned earlier, the PGA doesn't have a pristine history.

There are older PGA Tour stops than The Players. Make The Texas Open a major. Call it a major and increase the purse, solved.
not saying it has to be old. Obviously the majors are old and this 5th Major would be the newest major. I watch golf all the time, but I bet to a person who tunes in on seldom occasion, they have probably watched the Players more often than other events (excluding a local event, where they might have played or know the course). It has so much hype especially now that its March... kick off to the season.

The Texas Open - based on a quick review of 17/18 I would not say the participants is in line with Players could be wrong.

Here are 40-50 in world ranking. How many of them do you "actually' think can win??? Collin Morikawa in a few years, and Jason Day maybe if he does not withdraw do to back injury. . The others have zero chance to ever win the masters.

View attachment 8943381
But they are all in the other majors too. So couldn't you say the same thing about the others?

Give any tournament the designation as being a major championship and it would instantly garner huge prestige. A major is a major.

At least that's my rationale to internally counter any argument vs the PGA as a major. It's a major because it is and has been, it'll be vitally important to a player's goals and career aspirations for as long as it is. It's a legacy item for them.

I've never allowed myself to rate majors against one another or even vs the TPC. I have my favorites of course and I enjoy the TPC very much but in my mind, a major is a major and that's that.

In fairness, if I were a player and could choose yet could only win one major in my career, the PGA would in fact be my last choice vs the other three.

But if I were Rich Beem, I'd be darned proud of myself and could forever be called a major winner.

As to why still the PGA? Personally don't care. It can change to The Depends Challenge next year. As long as it's a major, well... then it's a major.

History is not really a reason. The Western Open, now the BMW Championship, is older than the PGA Championship and it lost its major status a long time ago. And as mentioned earlier, the PGA doesn't have a pristine history.
Sure, let's make that a major too.

The PGA Championship was a match play event, probably has something to do with it.

Even more, The Players is not "a major".

View attachment 8943381

Its funny, Other than quoting myself..:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: looking at even all of the top 50. There are golfers I would say have no chance at the masters.

Here is the list.

7. Web Simpson.
17. Matt Kucher
20. Shane Lowry
21. Tyrrell Hatton
24. Paul Casey
25. Mathew Fitspatrick
26. Bern Wiesberger
26. Rickie Fowler
30. KEven Na
31. Lee Westwood
34. Billy Horschel
36. Kevin Kisner
37. Chez Reavie
39. Jazz Janewattananond

Then the 40-50 already mentioned.

Is the Texas Open the premier tournament of the PGA Tour? Obviously not ...

But they are all in the other majors too. So couldn't you say the same thing about the others?

I am not talking about the other majors, I am talking specifically the Masters. But honestly those 40-50 guys are not people outside of the two. I would ever put money on...

not saying it has to be old. Obviously the majors are old and this 5th Major would be the newest major. I watch golf all the time, but I bet to a person who tunes in on seldom occasion, they have probably watched the Players more often than other events (excluding a local event, where they might have played or know the course). It has so much hype especially now that its March... kick off to the season.

The Texas Open - based on a quick review of 17/18 I would not say the participants is in line with Players could be wrong.
Of course the field is week. Make the tournament a major with the same exceptions and a $1.8m purse, that thing gets all of the same golfers as the majors do.

Is the Texas Open the premier tournament of the PGA Tour? Obviously not ...
If you switched the purse and the exemptions between The Players and the Texas Open, the prestige of event changes instantly.

does the PGA Championship need an identity, or does its' lack of identity make it stand out more than anything else?

The Masters identity is the tradition of Augusta, massive hype, "do it our way and piss off" mentality etc (and I love it).
The US Open identity is to take a golf course and make it almost impossible to play, steeped with frustration and flaws.
The Open identity is that it's not here?

One the nice things about the Majors is that NONE of them are put on by the Tours.

Back