Why is the PGA Championship Still a Major?

LICC

Reaction score
It is easily the least impactful of the existing majors. It was a major because the PGA used to be the association of the Tour players. The championship tournament of the Tour players warrants major status. The PGA Championship hasn't been that since the Tour broke off from the PGA over 50 years ago. The Players Championship is now the premier tournament of the Tour players. So other than media lethargy, why is the PGA Championship still considered a major?

Last edited:
I guess color me either confused or ignorant, but how exactly did the tour break away from the PGA 50 years ago? Is it not still the PGA tour?

I'm having a bit of deja vu here. I could have sworn we had this debate already here with you being the lead antagonist.

I'm with @cbaker2882 above, though, I thought it was still the PGA Tour.

I guess color me either confused or ignorant, but how exactly did the tour break away from the PGA 50 years ago? Is it not still the PGA tour?
No, the PGA is completely separate from the PGA Tour. The tour players broke off from the PGA in 1968 and formed their own separate entity.

It’s hosted by one of the major associations of golf - USGA, R&A, and the PGA. It always has one of the strongest, if not the strongest field. I agree that the PGA Tour’s premier event major like.

Tradition. It has always been a major so it stays that way.

The PGA Tour and the PGA of America are two different organizations now. They split over money which is kind of ironic given the backlash to the various pushes for global tours with more money.

Because there needs to be four majors because grand slams have four things. Golf is a monster of convention. The convention is that the PGA Championship is a major.

It's arbitrary and doesn't really matter. It's for marketing.

PGA and PGA TOUR

think of it this way, PGA = Club Pros, TOUR = DJ, Tiger, etc

I have no idea, other than it probably replaced an out dated major?

It matters little to me since of the existing 4 majors, it's the one I don't pay much attention to.

No, the PGA is completely separate from the PGA Tour. The tour players broke off from the PGA in 1968 and formed their own separate entity.

While that is true, the PGA Championship is still held higher in esteem than The Players.

It is easily the least impactful of the existing majors. It was a major because the PGA used to be the association of the Tour players. The championship tournament of the Tour players warrants major status. The PGA Championship hasn't been that since the Tour broke off from the PGA over 50 years ago. The Players Championship is now the premier tournament of the Tour players. So other than media lethargy, why is the PGA Championship still considered a major?
I'm still comfortable with it as a major. I think it was a bit better when they had better separation from a time perspective, but I still love the idea of having four majors.

While I accept the argument about the prestige of the Players, I'd rather see a fifth Major added than one replaced.

I have no problem with it and actually rank it third above the only major that is played on the same course every year. Different layouts and challenges (including quite often times real penal rough unlike the aforementioned major and most non-major tour stops) interest me more than watching the same thing year in and year out.

Ewww... no, not a 5th major.

What data do you have to say it is the least impactful?

Is Keegan Bradley a somewhat major champion because he only won a PGA?
Is Arnold Palmer considered a grand slam champion because the PGA is not impactful?

Is Arnold Palmer considered a grand slam champion because the PGA is not impactful?

Nah, he never won The Players either. :eek:o_O

The irony is that the PGA has nothing to with it.

The PGA of America is the proper name of the organisation, whilst the PGA is in fact a separate entity.

PGA and PGA TOUR

think of it this way, PGA = Club Pros, TOUR = DJ, Tiger, etc
Well there we go. Thank you

It’s hosted by one of the major associations of golf - USGA, R&A, and the PGA. It always has one of the strongest, if not the strongest field. I agree that the PGA Tour’s premier event major like.
I wouldn’t put the PGA on the same level as the USGA and the R&A, which are the rukemaking bodies of the sport. Other countries have their own PGAs.
The PGA Championship of course has a strong field but pretty much the same as the Players. An issue is its lack of identity. It’s pretty much a glorified Tour event not run by the Tour. Some years it’s on a great course, others eh.

While that is true, the PGA Championship is still held higher in esteem than The Players.
Not really. And that is a circular argument- it’s esteem comes entirely from the media calling it a major.

Not really. And that is a circular argument- it’s esteem comes entirely from the media calling it a major.
they do seem to work awfully hard at hyping it up.

Welp, already happened.. HAHA..

EDIT**

Well, the media only calls it a major because the player(s) started calling it a major. Seems like a sound argument to me.

The PGA Championship is older than The Masters. The Masters is a major more about Bobby Jones designing the course than any real association to anything other than being at a very rich country club with a bloated sense of prestige.

The PGA Championship is older than The Masters. The Masters is a major more about Bobby Jones designing the course than any real association to anything other than being at a very rich country club with a bloated sense of prestige.

There were a number of tournaments decades ago that were considered "major" that are no longer. The Western Open being the most prominent. Also the North and South. But they lost that status.

The Players has a near 50-year history, more than the PGA did at the time it was considered a major.

The Masters is, BY FAR, the most popular and most watched tournament in golf. Not calling it a major would lose all credibility.

Back