Why Is There No Love for PING Around Here?

Par5zN2

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Ping is, arguably, responsible for changing the game, in terms of equipment; 80s/90s. Most of us that have been around the game that long remember their dominance and innovation. They're still making some great products today. However, I read very little about their offerings here, and I'm seeing less-and-less players in my area playing Ping. Could it be:

The cost of their offerings?
Their marketing strategies?
Their industry partners?
Their styling?

Im not sure there is less love, really. All of their gear gets reviewed by THP and all of them get new threads. The iBlades are in for review now and that thread had posts last night.
I think their marketing strategy is that of methodical rather than energetic plays a role by design and that goes to their user base as well.
They are trying to get younger currently and I think they are doing a good job of it.

Ping is, arguably, responsible for changing the game, in terms of equipment; 80s/90s. Most of us that have been around the game that long remember their dominance and innovation. They're still making some great products today. However, I read very little about their offerings here, and I'm seeing less-and-less players in my area playing Ping. Could it be:

Their industry partners?
Their styling?
I find that their marketing is dull. I feel like they take the customers will come to us because we are Ping approach. I think this is catching up to them. They make some quality products but the look and sound of some them does nothing for me.

That said I do love the i series fairway woods.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Oh, I think there's plenty here who love Ping (myself included).

This is perhaps a bit off topic, but I would love it if they decided to partner with THP on an event.

There is plenty of Ping love around here. Go back and check the I20 and I25 iron thread. THP does a full review of every club they put out and the new Iblade has lots of attention from thp on the forum and every social media outlet. Guess you just missed the threads.

There products are good but I feel they have lost there identity & have fallen behind with the consumer. For instance I saw they were selling a limited edition Bubba driver, I was going to get it for a buddy, went to there site looked all over found it but no way to buy it. The only way to get it is at my "Local Golf Shop" if Ping is banking on Local Golf Shop sales they will be gone within 2 years, Local Golf Shops are disappearing quickly, not to mention it's middle of the summer no local Golf shops/courses are getting in new gear.

When your marketing doesn't generate buzz, it is hard to stand out in such a large market IMO. That said, I love the putters that ping brings to the table, there was a center shafted black cadence putter that was perfection.

Love their stuff. Always check out their new gear. Other stuff just works better for me at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you can go into a store and get trade in bonuses towards most other manufacturers, or discounts/sale prices on most others...not doing that hurts your sales.

If it weren't for my Epons, I would have some S56 irons in the bag. Only reason I went with the Epons is because they are more forgiving in the mid/long irons while still maintaining low offset and a thin topline. I had a G20 3 iron in the bag for a while and it was my go to club from about 225. The G30 LS has been my favorite major OEM driver of the past 10 years and the I25 is a very close second. They make some amazing clubs and they really hold their value.

As dumb as this sounds, I know guys that don't play Ping b/c they are not forged and these guys only have love for forged clubs.

For me, Ping has just never moved the needle. It's not that they don't make solid gear, because they do, it just doesn't ever stick out for me and I've never liked the style much. And when you combine that with the fact that they tend to run pricier than others for older models, I always end up elsewhere.

That being said, I very nearly bought a set of i25's a ways back. Those are just solid irons through and through.

Im not sure there is less love, really. All of their gear gets reviewed by THP and all of them get new threads. The iBlades are in for review now and that thread had posts last night.
I think their marketing strategy is that of methodical rather than energetic plays a role by design and that goes to their user base as well.
They are trying to get younger currently and I think they are doing a good job of it.
I wasn't questioning the fair and balance love THP provides for the golf industry, including Ping. From a players perspective, I'm seeing less love for their products.

I bought a new Ping fairway club yesterday. Prior to purchasing I did a ton of research, doing my best to focus on independent reviews and tests. When Ping became my choice I thought about the dozens of playing partners I have and could remember only one who carries anything Ping, excluding putters. That's when the 'why not Ping' came to mind.

Ping equipment never have any deals on them and they usually are pretty pricey. I also think the ping marketing had really dropped the ball because i haven't heard of any buzz for ping since the g30.

That said, i do play the i20's and they are great!

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Tapatalk

you called?

Ping's marketing isn't as great as some of the industry "leaders" and i think that's some of the cause for seeing their stuff too often talked about. I feel like they still rely on their name and a returning loyal fanbase to move their product. Perhaps more of the equipment doesn't get bought up because rarely do they get marked down at retail as heavy as some of their competition, i really think that could play a part in getting the equipment into people's hands.

I would definitely say there's no shortage of love for ping on THP specifically though, just perhaps ping themselves chooses to take a more simplistic approach to their marketing and advertising strategy. Really looking forward to seeing more on the iblades around here :)

In the past I have loved Ping Ad spots. Usually funny. Busy in social media they are not

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

One word. Bubba. Most see him as a fake and other than him which other ping staffer is relevant

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think there are a lot of PING fans around here. Maybe this is a downside of the "release everything at once, every 18 months" approach PING takes, as the most buzz about a club tends to be around release time. There was a huge amount of talk in the Vault thread, and a lot of folks viewed that release favorably. Honestly, you can look at the detractors in that thread as evidence that PING's putter line had a favorable view - a lot of people were saying that PING's $129 putters worked so well they weren't interested in the line.

I do think with regards to marketing the last G and i releases, I sort of feel that PING is sitting on their laurels a bit. They've got a built in market of "PING guys/ladies" - people who are loyal to the brand and replace every X years (some more often than others). And I say this as a huge fan of PING's stuff. I don't doubt I'll have a set of PING irons in the bag again sometime soon.

Their industry partners?
Their styling?

I've enjoyed reviewing the G30 and G series drivers, and my fellow reviewers have covered a majority of Ping's lineup over the last few years. If you do a bit of searching, there are some threads with a ton of fantastic information in them both from a review standpoint, and the feedback of forum members who tried them as well.

If you're a big fan of Ping, dive in and drive the conversation - I guarantee people will be eager to join you.

If you want Ping clubs with a heavy dose of marketing just buy PXG.

I've hated every ping product I ever tried. that includes i25 irons, I-something driver, g-something driver, and Scottsdale putter. just not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I LOVE Ping. I recently had an all Ping bag.

Some of my recent thoughts about Ping: Always great products. Not much excitement on-tour (need a few big names other than Bubba), They need to introduce more of an "excitement factor" to their products like Callaway has recently had huge success with...

With that being said, I can't wait to try and follow along with the THP reviews of the iBlades.

I think some of their sales come from customers. I have sold two drivers, three fairway woods, two hybrids, and two sets of irons just telling people how much I love my clubs and how well they perform. And to get fit. All have thanked me over and over again for how much their clubs have helped them. Oh I forgot a 56 degree wedge and a putter.

Come to Arizona. Every other bag has Ping clubs in some capacity.

Come to Arizona. Every other bag has Ping clubs in some capacity.
I'm actually in the process of trying to find an employer in the Phoenix area, we can't wait to relocate to AZ!

Back