Why Not Soil vs Sand?

dacatalyst41

#ReptheG #RocktheChev
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was having a discussion with some friends and was curious about this. Why don't golf courses keep soil on the tee boxes and carts for divot repairs instead of sand? Seems like it would make more sense in terms of the groundskeeping. Price? Drainage?

I was having a discussion with some friends and was curious about this. Why don't golf courses keep soil on the tee boxes and carts for divot repairs instead of sand? Seems like it would make more sense in terms of the groundskeeping. Price? Drainage?

Yes, drainage. Tees and greens are top dressed with sand to balance out the accumulated organic matter, and keep air and water mobility through the soil up.

Sand is easier to level, and they keep a sand cap under the grass to make this job easier.

Not only the above (about drainage, etc.), but most soil would clump up in the bottles and be basically impossible to pour.

The "sand" has seeds. Also, when filling a divot hole sand is relatively easy to manage-pour-spread.

Not only the above (about drainage, etc.), but most soil would clump up in the bottles and be basically impossible to pour.
I hadn't thought about that. I was thinking more of your drier grainer soil rather than the moist top soil that some might consider.

yeah drainage and aeration are my understanding. With all the growth and traffic courses get they constantly have to combat compaction to ensure good drainage and ability for grass to grow well.

... like sand? :unsure:

If they are really doing it right, the mixture will include sand, seed, a little starter fertilizer & organic material (peat moss).
Sand is more course. If they’re using the mixture you referred to that’s great but I know courses here look like they’re using straight sand.

The "sand" has seeds. Also, when filling a divot hole sand is relatively easy to manage-pour-spread.
Not at my course. It comes straight from a sand box to the course.

Not at my course. It comes straight from a sand box to the course.

Usually it's just an awful green sand, and a best of luck. Zero seed at all in it by the looks of it.

Usually it's just an awful green sand, and a best of luck. Zero seed at all in it by the looks of it.
Since Hilaman is municipal, I imagine its the same sand they use for the play grounds around town.

When they top dress the greens, often times you can find shells or parts of shells. That's always fun to putt on.

Since Hilaman is municipal, I imagine its the same sand they use for the play grounds around town.

When they top dress the greens, often times you can find shells or parts of shells. That's always fun to putt on.

I've seen shells from time to time. I always assumed a bird brought it it. Welp, guess there's that.

I hadn't thought about that. I was thinking more of your drier grainer soil rather than the moist top soil that some might consider.

You mean sand? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have been to courses that used soil in the bottles and that didn't turn out well. Clumpy and germination happening.

I have been to courses that used soil in the bottles and that didn't turn out well. Clumpy and germination happening.
:LOL::LOL::LOL: I've seen drier soil that doesn't obliterate clubs. That sand stuff is bad news. Haha!

Yes, drainage. Tees and greens are top dressed with sand to balance out the accumulated organic matter, and keep air and water mobility through the soil up.

As a prior Golf Course Management student/degree holder, I approve of this answer. (y)

LOL its all good fun until your sand bottle grows roots :oops: #truestory

:LOL::LOL::LOL: I've seen drier soil that doesn't obliterate clubs. That sand stuff is bad news. Haha!
They call it sand blasting for a reason. Our yard is a mixture of sand and soil so I get what you are saying.

LOL its all good fun until your sand bottle grows roots :oops: #truestory
We had some do that least season. They were mixing seed in with the sand, the bottles got wet sitting on the carts out in the rain, and next thing you know it looks like we're carrying Chia Pets around on the carts.

From an agronomy standpoint, I believe sand encourages lateral growth (ie. from the edges of the divot) more readily than actual soil. Also, generally the roots aren’t dug up and sand allows water to get to the roots and grow readily through the sand, whereas soil would be more dense and could harden when watered and dried. If it’s a fancy joint and they throw a couple seeds in the mix, that speeds it up even more.

The amatur landscaper and lawn care nut in me wants to say its more a matter of drainage than anything else. Soil would hold water, whereas sand lets it drain.

I think I've played courses that provided a mixture of soil and grass seed.

Back