Why so little love for Bridgestone on tour?

Buckeye

Reaction score
Handicap
Well the title says it all. They have Tiger, Bryson, Kuch and I think Brenden Steele won this year playing Bridgestone. Freddie on the Champions tour and Lexi on LPGA are the only others listed. Rocco was playing it but not sure if was later in the year. Even Jin Young Ko who carries a Bridgestone bag and plays the irons plays a Pro V1.

With all the guys who played Nike balls I would have thought they would have landed some others and the guys who are more free agents seemed to put Titleist in the bag.

Curious of the thoughts here given a lot of love for the Bridgestone balls. I used to love the 330s but did not care for the 2016 and 2018 offerings. Have not tried the 2020 balls.

Titleist pays people a lot of money

Yeah I think it's really hard to claim 'love' for a brand on Tour, unless someone is completely without sponsors.

It doesn't make much sense to me outside of that, because Bridgestone makes a fantastic golf ball.

I know they pay a weekly for guys not in full equipment contracts but look at Brooks, Fleetwood, Finau, etc. I don’t think some of these guys are getting paid. Even a lot of Callaway guys play Titleist and you know Cally pays.

Bridgestone has Tiger and Bryson so they can pay a lot of money also.

I am just a bit surprised given who good the balls are.

Not much love on the PGA Tour but Bstone gets lots of love on Tour in Asia. I think Bridgestone is content with a smaller staff that loves their products. Maybe it’s a Japanese custom to not act aggressively in self promotion which seems opposite to be how many of their competitors behave.

^ This. Most played ball on tour because they pay the most people to play them.

Came here to say this as well and probably what a lot guys grew up playing.

Pay me? Pffft
Just give me a case of balls and I’ll be your huckleberry.
Free balls should be good enough shouldn’t it?

I think it boils down to endorsement money. Which ever ball pays the most money, gets the most pro players. Who ever has the most pro players, can then claim to have the best product.

Bridgestone may, or may not have as much money for endorsements as say Titleist does. However, they do have enough to sign a few of the top recognized players.

I wish there was a way to tell which players play certain products for the endorsement money, vs those players who play certain products solely because they feel the products are the best for their game.

It’s a bit staggering so is the candy really that good, or more money to play with?

Not much love on the PGA Tour but Bstone gets lots of love on Tour in Asia. I think Bridgestone is content with a smaller staff that loves their products. Maybe it’s a Japanese custom to not act aggressively in self promotion which seems opposite to be how many of their competitors behave.
They make a great ball for sure, and I think. you're onto something here.

Others pay a lot of money to a lot of people.

It’s a bit staggering so is the candy really that good, or more money to play with?
I think for mid or lower tier guys the money is a big deal. Same was the case with TM drivers so completely agree with the money comment.

For the top players not linked to a larger endorsement deal I just think a few would play a Bridgestone. Koepka and Reed are two examples knowing Reed played one for a while but switched to Titleist. I’m sure this could open the floodgates on Reed hate but think he is a good example.

I think this is it right here. Who doesn't like free money? And its not like the ball is crap, its solid.

I would be curious how many more would play Bridgestone or Callaway or Srixon if it wasn't a money thing but a personal choice.

I think for mid or lower tier guys the money is a big deal. Same was the case with TM drivers so completely agree with the money comment.

For the top players not linked to a larger endorsement deal I just think a few would play a Bridgestone. Koepka and Reed are two examples knowing Reed played one for a while but switched to Titleist. I’m sure this could open the floodgates on Reed hate but think he is a good example.
Okay so take the money equation out of it...I'd like to hear opinions on why Koepka & Reed switched to Titleist. I am assuming we would hear money & sponsor as a reason.

Back