OG,
Why did you like Hank Aaron?
As you have said, because he was the best HR hitter of his generation and your home town team.
No different than why many like Tiger Woods.

I like hammering Hank because he was way above the average player but didn't warm up at the other end of the baseball field.. Hank would let anyone in his circle and was always cordial to his fans. I respected him back in the 60's and still do today.. I always admired the way he operated on and off the field. Good all around human being.

I like hammering Hank because he was way above the average player but didn't warm up at the other end of the baseball field.. Hank would let anyone in his circle and was always cordial to his fans. I respected him back in the 60's and still do today.. I always admired the way he operated on and off the field. Good all around human being.
However without his stellar play you most likely would not have noticed. While I agree that people could pay more attention to the citizen or character, greatness gets admired.

I am a big fan - I don't watch a lot of TV golf if he's not playing. Not sure I can say what the draw is other than he seems to have a knack for pulling off huge shots, and nearly always is in the mix when he plays. It's almost as if when he's not playing, the tournament has way less value - for instance, I don't give Padraig much weight for his three majors because they came when Tiger was not playing.

He's the only reason I ever thought about picking up a golf club. He made golf a sport for me. I was 13 when he completed the Tiger Slam and I've been hooked ever since. I could understand why people didn't like him after his personal drama, but I never understood why people didn't like him before that.

I am a big fan - I don't watch a lot of TV golf if he's not playing. Not sure I can say what the draw is other than he seems to have a knack for pulling off huge shots, and nearly always is in the mix when he plays. It's almost as if when he's not playing, the tournament has way less value - for instance, I don't give Padraig much weight for his three majors because they came when Tiger was not playing.

So if Tiger had a true case of the yips and didn't make the cut this week, would you have stopped watching the Masters? :alien:

Because Tiger is part of the long line of golfing greats, of which there have been many. Who is the greatest? Let Tiger play with real woods and stone age blades on crap courses like in the 40's, or shafts and crude clubs of Bobby Jones era or be born with life long rivals like Hogan/Sneed/Nelson. Jack could hit the ball a country mile but so could many others. Jack was a legend in his spare time. Tiger plays on a perfect playing field all the time, with a super ball and a toilet plunger for a driver. All a person can do is beat the people of your own time and that is what Tiger has done. I am 69 and grew up in socal. I have played where Tiger played when he was growing up. The Destroyer Navel course, Cypress (torn down for a shopping center), El Dorado in Long Beach. I watched him practice a few times when was 12 or 13 and knew he was special just by watching the ball he hit. I was and still am a Tiger fan because he made the other pros, like Jack used to, fear him. I can't wait for the next great to come along and dominate. Golf is such a cruel game, just ask Greg Norman. Lets see what Spieth does tomorrow, will he win or falter or will goofy Rose overtake him. I can't wait.

Or student-athlete.

Huh? Hershel was a honor student. I play golf with his old track coach Lewis Gainey and he told me how awesome he was in school, on the track and in life general.

Huh? Hershel was a honor student. I play golf with his old track coach Lewis Gainey and he told me how awesome he was in school, on the track and in life general.

I'm not talking about academics. I'm talking about college athlete.

Also, Tiger is great (staying on topic)

For you guys who like to see the dominant take em to the woodshed type guys, would you like to see Jordan win by 10 or would you like to see several guys in the hunt and it go down to the back nine for a shoot out. I never liked the Tiger dominance because it became boring to me. I prefer the shoot outs with the tournament going down to the wire. Now when Jack was winning, I was grinning. :D

For you guys who like to see the dominant take em to the woodshed type guys, would you like to see Jordan win by 10 or would you like to see several guys in the hunt and it go down to the back nine for a shoot out. I never liked the Tiger dominance because it became boring to me. I prefer the shoot outs with the tournament going down to the wire. Now when Jack was winning, I was grinning. :D

I can enjoy both but for different reasons.
When it's tight your hanging on every shot and the slightest mistake can leave the door open for change in the leaderboard. It makes the great shots seem more dramatic and exciting.

Watching someone dominate is watching someone extremely skilled at the top of his game and in an imperfect sport like golf he/she is playing perfect. Seeing someone in that zone is something special.

Honest question and one that I have always been curious of. What draws you to Tiger Woods? In general conversation with guys my age, which is 60+, I have never found a fan of Woods. Not sure why but that is why I ask you, what is the draw? My stepson is a huge Tiger fan. Plenty of young people on this forum are die hard Tiger fans. I'm truly interested in what draws you to Tiger so us older guys will have a clue what's going on. I had a guy ask me this very question at the golf course today and I could not give him a good answer. This is not a racist type thing at all. I love Henry Aaron and was with him all the way to passing Babe Ruth's record. And Hershel Walker (Go Dawgs), that dude was/is a stud from Heaven but seriously, what draws you to Tiger?

I'm a little older than you and I have very mixed feelings about Tiger. I have admired his skills since he was an amateur but I have never admired him personally. To me he's kind of the Pete Rose of Golf - a little TOO competitive with too little regard for the game and his fellow competitors.

I prefer a down to the wire shootout. 3 way playoffs are even better...

Tiger is what made me decide to start playing golf. I was mainly a baseball player growing up, but when Tiger just completely dominated the field at Augusta in 1997, it just made me want to get out and try to hit the golf ball as far as I could. So that's what drew me to golf, and it's what draws me to Tiger Woods.

Consistently winning with dominant, record-breaking performances at a young age. He was the Michael Jordan of golf, clearly above the rest of his competition for over a decade. That will draw fans in any sport.

I loved the Tiger dominance, but I also loved it when competitors decided not to back down and threaten his dominance . Like VJ and Duval. That's what made it even more fun. I loved the fact that Tiger made other golfers take their game to the next level. What I hate is what I call "Oh well" golf. Can't stand it in golf or any other sport. For me it's not necessarily about winning, it's more about giving it everything you got, day in and day out. That's what inspires me. I'm not a Red Sox fan (see location) but I love Pedroia. He plays baseball like Tiger plays golf.

I didn't pick up playing the sport until 2011, but during his period of dominance, what drew me to Tiger was the fact that he was a minority dominating a sport that has been always been dominated primarily by the "man". The fact that he was different brought me to the game.

He had that will to win that Jordan had. Just so fun to watch.

His dominance is great, but he's so fun to watch. In a sport full of polite people with little to no personality, he wears his heart on his sleeve for better or for worse. He shows that you can still show emotion during the good and bad and still be the best. Not all of us can dominate a sport, but we all know the feeling of wanting to chuck our driver and spit a bad word or two after a duck hooked drive.

Tiger is undoubtedly one of the greatest golfers ever and he's still playing and is already amongst that list. Everyone talks about majors and Jacks 18 vs Tiger's 14. But in the time line, they are about equal so Tiger still has time to match or exceed Jack. Will He? Who knows and there are plenty of threads and posts arguing that. To me it's moot. If he doesn't he's still second on a list that WAY above most others. Overall Tournament wins he's won more than Jack. As of this date he's 3 tournaments behind Sam Snead. He will definitely surpass that. What is a major but a tournament, with more hype and history, so in that regard he's better than Jack. He's set record after record for wins in his youth etc... I don't know all of his stats. This is enough of a reason to be a fan of his. Like JB said, people appreciate greatness and Tiger IS and Exudes greatness in golf.

As to Spieth, I hope he wins walking away tomorrow. I think he will. Even if he plays 70 tomorrow, Rose has to play -7 tomorrow to win. Phil needs to play -8 to beat him. It's his tournament to lose. Now if he goes even or positive, then that becomes easier for the chase to overcome him. I enjoy tight matches as well OG, but in this case, this is history in the making. We are watching it, commenting on it, and seeing it as it happens. I want him to absolutely OWN it and walk away in dominance of the other competitors.

Then we'll go back to tight knuckle biting matches.

I'm a big Phil Mickelson fan & I hope he can win a few more majors, but I want Jordan Speith to win tomorrow. It would be a shame for him to lose after playing as well as he has so far - I don't want to see a Greg Norman-style train wreck. If Speith shoots a 68 & Phil somehow ties him, I don't know who I'd root for - but it would be amazing. Otherwise, I'm pulling for Jordan to make history with the lowest score ever.

Tiger made people who didn't care about golf suddenly follow the sport. He had a never before seen mix of talent, athleticism and mystique that resonated with fans of all sports. He also came in at a time when golf was as boring as it had ever been. Read the list.of Masters winners in the 90s before Tiger and try not to fall asleep. Tiger inspired his competition to step it up, and had a huge impact on the current crop of players. He was also, in my opinion, the greatest golfer this planet has ever seen when he was in his prime. It also helped that he had so many dramatic moments.

Big Tiger fan early in his career. Kind of a younger version of Greg Norman that could close.

While I still appreciated his excellence I drifted away and started pulling for others as his dominance became greater. Just not a big fan of dynasties and prefer some degree of competitive balance in most every sport.

From a fan standpoint I could care less about the scandal. Wealthy people problems.

Back to pulling for him in a big way. Really feel the next 5-years could become one of the most interesting periods in golf majors history if Tiger can consistently get into the mix (and win one or two) on championship Sunday's again.

When Tiger first started out I was a huge fan. I'm 46, btw. He was the great, young golfer in a time when Jack was turning 50. He was fun to watch. Then a few years later he started dropping his clubs over his shoulder and cussing all over. I haven't been a fan for over a decade. My wife and I took to calling him "the Diva". He seems to have made it back again and I knew he would, which is probably good for the game, but I'll always root for those competing against him.

When Tiger first started out I was a huge fan. I'm 46, btw. He was the great, young golfer in a time when Jack was turning 50. He was fun to watch. Then a few years later he started dropping his clubs over his shoulder and cussing all over. I haven't been a fan for over a decade. My wife and I took to calling him "the Diva". He seems to have made it back again and I knew he would, which is probably good for the game, but I'll always root for those competing against him.

I've never been a fan and I do think it might be a generation thing to some of us. I'm 64 and my peers who were born in this region of the country (the majority of them) have never been Tiger fans.

As far as his actions on/off the course sure, it's a turn off for many. I've cussed, chunked clubs, kicked squirrels in the arse, and threw a few tantrums in my day. With that said, it's been a couple of decades since those moments have occurred. I finally figured out. I'm not good enough and never will be to pout about my world class non golfing skills.

This has been a really interesting discussion and has answered things about the man that I have always wondered about.

Back