Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
Honest question and one that I have always been curious of. What draws you to Tiger Woods? In general conversation with guys my age, which is 60+, I have never found a fan of Woods. Not sure why but that is why I ask you, what is the draw? My stepson is a huge Tiger fan. Plenty of young people on this forum are die hard Tiger fans. I'm truly interested in what draws you to Tiger so us older guys will have a clue what's going on. I had a guy ask me this very question at the golf course today and I could not give him a good answer. This is not a racist type thing at all. I love Henry Aaron and was with him all the way to passing Babe Ruth's record. And Hershel Walker (Go Dawgs), that dude was/is a stud from Heaven but seriously, what draws you to Tiger?

For me, he was the first historical level star in the sports world (golf even more specifically) that was my age.

I will turning 60 in Aug and I have been a fan of Tiger since his amateur days. Why you ask? I guess his drive-desire to win and ability to remain in control after all he has dealt with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not tiger for me honestly. It's for the good of the game at this point.

Because he was by far the golfer put there when I was growing up. Watching his brand of golf with his intensity and occasional fist pumps gets me pumped.

He's a winner and people love a winner. Also I hate to say it though but maybe not you but there's a good amount of people over 60 that are racist.

I started playing golf about 1996 when Tiger turned pro. Following his career early made me a fan till this day.

He's a winner and people love a winner. Also I hate to say it though but maybe not you but there's a good amount of people over 60 that are racist.

I can't argue that point because it's true. I wonder if Tiger had come along in the 60's, when I was a young boy, would he of had the same popularity. I don't think so. I remember when Lee Elder played in the Masters and he didn't have the same draw as Tiger.

Because of his passion and love for being the best you can be. There was never good enough with Tiger. He worked his butt off and tried to win every tournament he ever competed in. And every shot he ever played, you knew he was giving it everything he had. And I love that.

And when so many thought he was done, he comes back proves them all wrong. He basically looked at everyone and said "you don't tell me when I'm done, I'll tell you when I'm done...and I'm not done yet"

He's proof that we can all do more than we think we're capable of.

For me he was just coming onto the scene when I was growing up. His greatness and style of play appealed to me. He played aggressive and had a lot of energy on the course that you didn't see in golf. He made golf seem "cool" to the middle school kid I was when he won The Masters in 97. Even before he won The Masters I remember watching him as an amateur and I was always impressed how he would always come up big in the clutch. Plus, on top of all that he has that "star" quality you just can't teach.

Because of his passion and love for being the best you can be. There was never good enough with Tiger. He worked his butt off and tried to win every tournament he ever competed in. And every shot he ever played, you knew he was giving it everything he had. And I love that.

And when so many thought he was done, he comes back proves them all wrong. He basically looked at everyone and said "you don't tell me when I'm done, I'll tell you when I'm done...and I'm not done yet"

He's proof that we can all do more than we think we're capable of.

For me he was just coming onto the scene when I was growing up. His greatness and style of play appealed to me. He played aggressive and had a lot of energy on the course that you didn't see in golf. He made golf seem "cool" to the middle school kid I was when he won The Masters in 97. Even before he won The Masters I remember watching him as an amateur and I was always impressed how he would always come up big in the clutch. Plus, on top of all that he has that "star" quality you just can't teach.

This is good stuff. This is really helping me understand what the draw is and how the younger generation (in most cases) are Tiger fans. Thanks guys.

He received a lot of hype and backed it up. I wasn't a big golf fan until the late 90s and when I,first started playing Tiger was just coming on tour and being a young kid(23ish) he was someone that got my attention and showed golf is cool on a way. I was a Nike baseball, basketball and football shoe homer and just got drawn in by what he was doing.

I guess it is because when the younger generation were taking up golf, Tiger was the one who was dominating and became a role model for a lot of them

I wonder if anyone else was so far out in front of the rest of the field at that time, if they would have had the same following as Tiger does?

I guess it is because when the younger generation were taking up golf, Tiger was the one who was dominating and became a role model for a lot of them

I wonder if anyone else was so far out in front of the rest of the field at that time, if they would have had the same following as Tiger does?

Interesting question for sure.

I'm 31. I grew up watching tiger. He made me love golf. I never liked Jordan. But I loved Tiger.

I'm 31. I grew up watching tiger. He made me love golf. I never liked Jordan. But I loved Tiger.

I never liked Bo Jackson but I sure loved Hershel Walker! :in-love:

He made golf exciting.

He could over power a course or out think a course like he did in the Open when he didn't use a driver.
He showed that golfers were athletes with his training and showed it with his amazing recovery shots.
The high fives and fist pumps when he drained a long putt or chip in is something I don't recall ever seeing.
His determination to not just be the best but dominate.

I think in 30 years some people may ask the same about Speith.

Because he is one of the all time greatest golfers, doesn't seem complicated to me. Not a fan of him as a person, but as a golfer he is what he is, one of the best ever.

lol, you mentioned hank Arron too, that is funny to me, no need to even go,there!

ken

He is arguably the greatest golfer in the history of the game. My dad doesn't like him either. It's a generational thing IMO.

Because he is one of the all time greatest golfers, doesn't seem complicated to me. Not a fan of him as a person, but as a golfer he is what he is, one of the best ever.

lol, you mentioned hank Arron too, that is funny to me, no need to even go,there!

ken

What's wrong with Hank? Atlanta Brave and the best home runner hitter of all time IMO.

What's wrong with Hank? Atlanta Brave and the best home runner hitter of all time IMO.

Nothing is wrong with Hank, I feel he is awesome. Why is Hank even in your post?

His dominance at the peek of the game, which created his worldwide visibility. Every sport has an icon and he is it for golf.

He is arguably the greatest golfer in the history of the game. My dad doesn't like him either. It's a generational thing IMO.

Pretty much nail hit on the head type thing with the exception of a few.

Nothing is wrong with Hank, I feel he is awesome. Why is Hank even in your post?

Just saying he was one of my favorites and Tiger Woods has always been against the grain for me. Some of the things that has drawn many of you young guys to him, has turned a good portion of older generation against him. Too cocky back in the day was not looked on as cool. Kind of in ya face type thing.

Back