Why Two Sets of Irons or Complete Bags

I have three complete bags that I use, they are similar. I have a fourth complete set but i bought it new in the 70’s so not actively used.

I just bought a 2nd set of irons off ebay. I blame @Scooby45 for reminding me how much I enjoyed hitting my old Hogans Radials. :ROFLMAO:

I already have a partial set but they're in really bad shape. So I've been on the lookout for a set that's in good shape and I finally found one at a great price. I was considering it last night and finally pulled the trigger tonight. Not sure yet if I'll put together a 2nd bag with vintage woods or just use the irons once in a while along with my current hybrids and driver. No doubt they'll make for some f-ugly golf, but it should be fun.

Do you have enough clubs for a complete 2nd set and an extra bag? If not, I have a 3wd and a 23 deg hybrid and a putter that you can have if you want them! All decent clubs so let me know!

Oh and I have a second set to answer the post here but my second set is one that I am working on for carrying less clubs. I am at 10 clubs now but may shrink it next season. I also use the second set for the rest of this season and in the Spring! :)

Do you have enough clubs for a complete 2nd set and an extra bag? If not, I have a 3wd and a 23 deg hybrid and a putter that you can have if you want them! All decent clubs so let me know!

Oh and I have a second set to answer the post here but my second set is one that I am working on for carrying less clubs. I am at 10 clubs now but may shrink it next season. I also use the second set for the rest of this season and in the Spring! :)

Thanks for the offer, Mike.

Are you still using the newer Pings? You also had some Hogan B5s (I believe) with graphite shafts at one time.

They honeymoon is over with the old Hogans.

Make no mistake, I hit them straighter for some strange reason and my scoring didn't really suffer. But they will become what I originally intended them to be - a 2nd set for when I get a wild hair to try something different.

I know there are a lot of varying opinions regarding Maltby irons, but they are so forgiving. I had a nice practice session with them this afternoon and was able to control dispersion while enjoying the feeling of a giant sweet spot that just isn't on those old irons. With temps down in the upper 30's today, my hands were thankful.

Of course, I'm still pondering a third set. Or wondering if light, steel shafts might provide more face control (doubtful). But that's what I seem to do... look at equipment to fix a crappy swing. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Love both of my sets, Srixon and Mizuno, for different reasons. Have a third set of Wilsons currently out on loan. Friend of mine lost his set to a house fire. Didn't mind loaning out a complete bag to him so he could golf. Problem is, that was over a year ago and he still has them. :unsure:

They honeymoon is over with the old Hogans.

Make no mistake, I hit them straighter for some strange reason and my scoring didn't really suffer. But they will become what I originally intended them to be - a 2nd set for when I get a wild hair to try something different.

I know there are a lot of varying opinions regarding Maltby irons, but they are so forgiving. I had a nice practice session with them this afternoon and was able to control dispersion while enjoying the feeling of a giant sweet spot that just isn't on those old irons. With temps down in the upper 30's today, my hands were thankful.

Of course, I'm still pondering a third set. Or wondering if light, steel shafts might provide more face control (doubtful). But that's what I seem to do... look at equipment to fix a crappy swing. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I too have thought about light, real light weight steel shafts for better control and wonder what is the lightest steel shaft made??

What is the lightest shaft on Maltby's site you could try an identical iron but with steel to compare to your current graphite set!!!

Oh and 3rd set! Now you are just sounding like a club ho.... :)

Not personally but know a few guys who are Hickory aficonado's. So they have sets of hickory's and play in events set up specifically for hickory clubs. There's a Hickory Society promoting this.

What is the lightest shaft on Maltby's site you could try an identical iron but with steel to compare to your current graphite set!!!
I have this shaft on another head. I could pull it and put it on the 6i head from my set to see how I like it. There is also the XP95's. I had the XP105's on my old Mizuno set and seemed to hit those ok.

It was getting dark so I couldn't try out the entire set. Going to play these irons the next time out.

Golf wasn't even on my radar in 1983 when these clubs were released. I've swung old irons, and most were hard impossible for me to hit well. These Radials are different, and I'm not sure why. They are small heads and have a very thin top line. It has to be the crazy wide sole???

Anyway, I'm sure after one round I'll be back to playing my SGI clubs.
(Heads to Ebay to search for Hogan radials). I hate this stupid game...LOL!!

I have multiple sets for several reasons…
1. I rarely sell / get rid of older sets
2. An extra set Is kept for guests that visit

Back