Caledonia #14
F46CA238-AF0A-4F1E-8DE0-76E8E933A885.jpeg

Trull Brook - Tewksbury, MA
5A4F88E7-B00A-4448-9427-2CA374ABB869.jpeg

Gotta get rid of the gophers

86306A3B-AAD6-4582-ADEB-EA20AFC2CADE.gif

Turtle in Sand Trap laying eggs this morning:
6288C399-7A1D-4213-A524-6FF9435AFFFE.jpeg

Deer ran by the clubhouse yesterday afternoon. A wild turkey gobbler strutted by the clubhouse this afternoon.

We were playing about 20 years ago, and when we got to the green, there was a big crayfish, spoiling for a fight. Claws open and raised up, charging my brother. That was a bad-ass crayfish.

A couple of years ago, we ran across a big snapping turtle sunning himself on a cart path. My buddy went close to him, and the snapper got all hepped up and was ready to brawl. Jaws open, ready to throw down.

Some more than others, but: whitetail deer, ducks, geese, egrets, hawks, rabbits, squirrels, snapping turtles, box turtles, lizards, black snakes, and an array of other birds.

Craziest I’ve seen was a gator in Charleston, SC area. Also played a course back in college that often had armadillos running around.

Few weeks ago, 9th tee
Charlotte National Golf Club,
Indian Trail, North Carolina

6E916EA2-B891-45F3-B421-C8FF67D4AC95.jpeg

Pretty much the usual desert dwellers .
Coyotes, snakes, Big Horn sheep, birds, tortoises, deer, birds, badgers, rats, mice.

When traveling out of state, I've seen bison, elk, cougars, a bobcat, prong horns, a moose, a black bear.

Thought I saw Big Foot once, but I was mistaken.

Some of the best wildlife I have ever seen, while on the golf course, was taking place in some people's back yards........

Most common for us - rabbits, quail, coyotes, roadrunners, egrets, lizards, hawks, turkey vultures and tarantula hawks (Pepsis wasp). We also see rattlesnakes, scorpions, red racers, bullfrogs, various other birds, an occasional turtle, feral pigs and burros.

Roadrunners are badass birds. They're prehistoric-looking, kill and eat rattlesnakes (among other things), and are one of the only predators of the Pepsis wasp, which is a nasty little beast itself.

Few weeks ago, 9th tee
Charlotte National Golf Club,
Indian Trail, North Carolina

View attachment 8952019
You can just see the cartoon thought bubble above his head: “Man, I’ve had a bad day. If somebody messes with me, they will regret it.“

You guys will think I’m lying, but here goes:

Playing with a friend and his son. The son left a birdie putt hanging over the lip. I was about 5 feet from the cup with a good view.

A fly landed on the side of the ball opposite the cup. I had just enough time to say “Help him out, fly!” when it took off again...

...and the ball dropped in for birdie.

Pulled up to Southerndown in Wales a few years ago. When you enter the golf course there is a gate and the sign says close the gate behind you....So you wonder. As you play you come to a green with a steep sloped bunker face which has the sun behind the green making the bunker shady....You will encounter the sheep in the bunker. The gate is to keep the sheep on property.

possum...some hawks. nothing exciting.

Typical wildlife seen during the day in South Carolina.

Two families (bevies ??) of swans are doing great this year. One family has 6 cygnets and the other has 5. Interesting that both families stake out the same location on this fairway (you never see both groups in the area at the same time). It’s about 150 yards from the tee box so they should be safe but 4 balls go over them every 10 minutes. They trust golfers more than I do!

0EFC7D39-0D61-4BCD-BC79-E95646FE1D8C.jpeg

Coyote doing his morning walk:
392972A9-D6DA-476B-9BA1-B61152990649.jpeg

This guy showed up on the first tee box this morning. Sorry he wasn’t in the mood for close ups.6F08E5FE-A573-465F-A1B6-920C44D171A7.jpeg

Photo below is from Wednesday. The swans position themselves near the fairway and players fire tee balls over them all day long. We’re always surprised with this location because the swans don’t seem to have a care in the world.
B86357B5-A94C-4C69-B108-1AB9D06E7D5D.jpeg
I immediately noticed today (Friday) that a cygnet was missing. We saw something floating (in a bad way) on the pond as we walked off the tee box. Sure enough, we discovered a dead cygnet. I asked the cart gal about it after we finished the hole. Apparently someone hit the swan a few hours earlier. Bummer.

In New England I've seen moose and a working ox. In Florida aside from the usual suspects (gators, panthers, eagles, hawks, etc) black bear which is becoming a more common citing.
View attachment 8952042

didn’t know they could stand that heat

This is the 2nd hole of my home course on Sunday morning. Believe it or not there is a small herd of deer on the left side of the fairway in the edge of those trees.
We were going to play 18 but the smoke got to us and we only played 9.

IMG_0381.jpg

The usual array of critters in the northeast. Probably the coolest was seeing a gator the one time I played in Florida and moose a few times in Maine.

Pretty much the usual desert dwellers .
Coyotes, snakes, Big Horn sheep, birds, tortoises, deer, birds, badgers, rats, mice.

When traveling out of state, I've seen bison, elk, cougars, a bobcat, prong horns, a moose, a black bear.

Thought I saw Big Foot once, but I was mistaken.

Some of the best wildlife I have ever seen, while on the golf course, was taking place in some people's back yards........
I probably would leave the course immediately if I saw a cougar :oops:

Squirrels are constant. Fox, coyote and deer occasionally.

Back