Will Life ever be the same after COVID-19?

This will be one of those things that future generations will ask about. I’m not saying it’s the same, but stuff like the Great Depression and the WWs. This is literally unheard of a year ago.

Like everything else in life, this too shall pass. Maybe the shaking of hands might become passé, but humans are resilient if nothing else, and I don't see things changing that much.

I was talking to a friend in HK today on video. He was out and about in Causeway Bay, and it was crowded. Not normal HK crowds, but it looked comparable to a normal day at Times Square.

Everyone was wearing masks (keep in mind, ever since SARS, HK people wear masks fairly often when they are under the weather,) and you got a sense of a bit of distance between groups, but other than that, life appeared to be back to normal.

I'm hoping that in a few months time, we will begin to see similar things. I think some things may be forever changed, but once there is effective treatment, and eventually a vaccine, people will become comfortable going back to normal life.

Maybe we can stop shaking hands.

Maybe we can stop shaking hands.
I would love that. When I was in 7th grade Dice Rules was out. He said shaking hands was the disgusting thing we do.

He was so ahead of his time. Go figure

Things will change. Just like it did after Sept 11. But it will become the new normal.

After this one we will be getting our annual Covid vaccine just like we get an annual flu shot.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's included in the flu shot once they find it.

Not sure about 'normal', but we will get past this hopefully with some changes to mindset..... people will take general personal hygiene more serious..... covering a cough and sneeze appropriately, washing hands thoroughly, staying home when not feeling well. Not sure people will continue the practice of using cleaning wipes on Amazon packages or groceries, but some changes I would assume will become the new norm.

I would love that. When I was in 7th grade Dice Rules was out. He said shaking hands was the disgusting thing we do.

He was so ahead of his time. Go figure

He was a visionary.

Doubt it. Town got hit by a massive tornado that killed 7 people 10 years ago. The rest of the summer people were terrified even of basic Severe Thunderstorm Warnings, going to their cellars.

By the following season things were back to normal

The mask idea would be good for individuals that are sick and need things for daily life. I for the life of me don’t understand the gloves. Unless you use gloves at the store, remove them before getting in car and washing your hands or putting new ones on it doesn’t do anything. People seem to think with gloves and masks they are being germ free. If you wear the same ones all day it doesn’t nothing. Better off doing what you need to do and wash your hands multiple times.
People need to stop touching their faces as well. No amount of glove wearing will make a difference if you habitually touch your face.

Things will change. Just like it did after Sept 11. But it will become the new normal.

After this one we will be getting our annual Covid vaccine just like we get an annual flu shot.
This is exactly what I was thinking. It will never be the exact same but it will get better.

I think people are more resilient and will welcome the opportunity to get out there with other people around.

If there is one thing I believe, it’s how important being around other people is. Human beings as a whole are incredibly social. We need the comfort and feeling associated with communicating and being around others.

I expect that many will cheer to attend their first sporting event, flight on a plane, or concert to celebrate that we have overcome our version of the Spanish flu/plague.

We're communal beasts. After every plague, life has eventually resumed as normal.

I think it would be a mistake for us not to this time. Still, I'd concede that continued distancing to some degree or another, would be safer.

But I think it would be worse for the human condition.

People have short term memory when bad things happen. In less than a year after the lock down phase is over I think things will be essentially back to how they are. I'll assume more plans will be in place for a similar type situation, i.e. the schools transitioning out here to an online model and right now its all being done on the fly because there are no plans in place.

I thought the same thing after 911 but it will get back to normal. I'm optimistic that we will have effective treatments by fall and a vaccine in 12 months.
Things never went back to the same after 9/11 though did they? Those things are new normal though because we got used to them. There is definitely going to be some big changes that never go back. I have no idea what they are, but if we are still distancing for a long time I have to figure live events of any type are going to be hurting for certain. I think governments are going to be leaning on Modern Monetary Theory even more as their spending will increase indefinitely. The storefront type businesses are going to be decimated on the other end of this and new storefronts will be slow to recover because this puts a huge risk on everyone's mind that they never even factored until now so the risk reward thoughts of opening a storefront are even more fraught with risk now.

Things never went back to the same after 9/11 though did they? Those things are new normal though because we got used to them. There is definitely going to be some big changes that never go back. I have no idea what they are, but if we are still distancing for a long time I have to figure live events of any type are going to be hurting for certain. I think governments are going to be leaning on Modern Monetary Theory even more as their spending will increase indefinitely. The storefront type businesses are going to be decimated on the other end of this and new storefronts will be slow to recover because this puts a huge risk on everyone's mind that they never even factored until now so the risk reward thoughts of opening a storefront are even more fraught with risk now.
Agree here. Definitely new normal.

I don’t believe many realize what the economic fallout from this is going to be.

Another tin hat moment is the Government will now have most everyone's DNA on file for future use (cloning, mind control, etc) by way of C19 testing, especially if it does indeed become common to test to see who did have it as well as those that were sick.

Well, some things shouldn't change... but they will. A lot of people will wash their hands more. Others will stop washing them as often.

I don’t believe many realize what the economic fallout from this is going to be.
I know you are a first bumper, but I am a hugger and I know that it will be a long time before people will be comfortable hugging a very wide group of people again. That part of my life will certainly change.

One industry that I just can't see recovering quickly is the cruise ship industry. I do think in a year's time a lot will be back to normal, including gestures, handshakes etc, but I wouldn't want to get on a cruise anytime soon.

A lot of small businesses and other jobs won’t survive this and the mounting drug abuse, suicides, etc. that will result may take a higher human toll that the initial deaths from the virus. It is going to be painful for tens of millions of Americans. Very sad.

A lot of small businesses and other jobs won’t survive this and the mounting drug abuse, suicides, etc. that will result may take a higher human toll that the initial deaths from the virus. It is going to be painful for tens of millions of Americans. Very sad.
I hope you're wrong man. Don't know much about how the economy works, but I can see this doomsday scenario playing out if this isn't controlled quickly. If people will just follow instructions (and if all jurisdictions put in the tough measures some have), and this begins to get controlled soon I'd like to think it won't get that far. Just more about swallowing the bitter pill quickly.

I think this ends up as a blip on the radar. i don't mean that flippantly, but we love our freedoms and the ability to do what we want. The american public is just waiting for some sort of "all clear" so that we can get back to doing what we did before this happened. Will some be more cautious than others, most likely, but the majority will go back to business as usual and not give the virus a second thought.

I think financially this will wake up a lot of people in terms of how they are not prepared to be without an income for an extended period of time. I think you will see more fiscal responsibility from a lot of people.

I wonder how long before buying TP will be normal again?
This still boggles my mind. I haven't been to the store much about once a week but every time I go no paper products of any kind

Back