Will Life ever be the same after COVID-19?

I think this ends up as a blip on the radar. i don't mean that flippantly, but we love our freedoms and the ability to do what we want. The american public is just waiting for some sort of "all clear" so that we can get back to doing what we did before this happened. Will some be more cautious than others, most likely, but the majority will go back to business as usual and not give the virus a second thought.

I think financially this will wake up a lot of people in terms of how they are not prepared to be without an income for an extended period of time. I think you will see more fiscal responsibility from a lot of people.

I hope you are right that it is a financial wake up call for those half of Americans that live check to check. Most Americans are poor savers. Hopefully we have treatments for this virus soon and a vaccine that allows this entire thing to appear as just a blip on the radar a year from now.

One industry that I just can't see recovering quickly is the cruise ship industry. I do think in a year's time a lot will be back to normal, including gestures, handshakes etc, but I wouldn't want to get on a cruise anytime soon.
I would have thought the same thing when there were a few ships with some maladies... Legionnaire's followed by Rotovirus... followed by rotovirus again...

One would have thought that after those incidents that people would either wash their hands and be afraid to touch anything on a ship or carry on because there was hand sanitizer everywhere... but people still got Covid-19 on them.

Agree here. Definitely new normal.

I don’t believe many realize what the economic fallout from this is going to be.
My good friend runs a hedge fund and is my financial advisor and he's really worried. When he's worried, I'm worried. On top of that it hit me that this whole thing will get politicized and we are likely to have one of the ugliest election years in memory.. Uggh

My good friend runs a hedge fund and is my financial advisor and he's really worried. When he's worried, I'm worried. On top of that it hit me that this whole thing will get politicized and we are likely to have one of the ugliest election years in memory.. Uggh
The economy fall out with unemployment could make the health side of things look silly.

Especially in the small business segment. With that said both are so important, but not all are being addressed.

The economy fall out with unemployment could make the health side of things look silly.

Especially in the small business segment. With that said both are so important, but not all are being addressed.
Couldn't agree more. I'm not sure how many small businesses will stay alive or recover from this. I'm definitely concerned for the future in that regard

Couldn't agree more. I'm not sure how many small businesses will stay alive or recover from this. I'm definitely concerned for the future in that regard

My buddies that own small businesses will survive but they likely wouldn’t have if this virus had hit in the first couple of years when they were getting started. They also aren’t in the service sector where many of the small businesses have been mandated to shut down. Small businesses employ almost half of the US workforce and unfortunately we are headed for double digit unemployment. Let’s hope we can recover and do it quickly.

I think this ends up as a blip on the radar. i don't mean that flippantly, but we love our freedoms and the ability to do what we want. The american public is just waiting for some sort of "all clear" so that we can get back to doing what we did before this happened. Will some be more cautious than others, most likely, but the majority will go back to business as usual and not give the virus a second thought.

I think financially this will wake up a lot of people in terms of how they are not prepared to be without an income for an extended period of time. I think you will see more fiscal responsibility from a lot of people.
This is my thought as well. Some people will make small changes like start fist bumping instead of shake hands but I think overall most will go back to their old habits.

The economic impact is what scares me. I'm not sure what the new normal will be after this in that area.

I had a full on breakdown last night thinking about what this is/will do to the economy. I have said this before, I am not someone who cries a lot for real world things, I cry at dumb stuff like commercials, but last night I completely broke down and JB had to calm me down. I have very big concerns about what the economy and people's lives are going to look like when this is all over.

I had a full on breakdown last night thinking about what this is/will do to the economy. I have said this before, I am not someone who cries a lot for real world things, I cry at dumb stuff like commercials, but last night I completely broke down and JB had to calm me down. I have very big concerns about what the economy and people's lives are going to look like when this is all over.

My biggest concern with this is how selfish people are and how they continue to go about their lives as if nothing is wrong.
Then in the next breath ask where their virus money is.
Stop for a second and sit your ass at home like the rest of us so the front line workers can do their jobs and the economy as a whole can get back to work.

This is my thought as well. Some people will make small changes like start fist bumping instead of shake hands but I think overall most will go back to their old habits.

The economic impact is what scares me. I'm not sure what the new normal will be after this in that area.

You may be right about people returning to old habits with the number of people that haven’t changed their habits during the crisis.

My biggest concern with this is how selfish people are and how they continue to go about their lives as if nothing is wrong.
Stop for a second and sit your ass at home like the rest of us so the front line workers can do their jobs and the economy as a whole can get back to work.

This is what keeps overwhelming me. I had a neighbor ask if we would want to join a neighborhood cookout. I tried my best to stay polite but how could that be a good idea? Kids don't understand distancing and they will be all clumped together. I know they miss the interaction but living seems a little more important.

My concern is, does this end? We don’t know for sure hot weather will take it out and I am not impressed at our efforts towards a cure. If it does not go away this summer do we eventually have to go back to the pioneer times?

Evidently in our little suburb the parks are still pretty full of kids playing together and hanging on all of the playground equipment like nothings going on. How in the world if you're a parent do you not have the sense to keep your kids away from others? They're out of school for a reason!!! If one kid has Corona it will spread like wildfire if you let them play with other kids like that.

This is what keeps overwhelming me. I had a neighbor ask if we would want to join a neighborhood cookout. I tried my best to stay polite but how could that be a good idea? Kids don't understand distancing and they will be all clumped together. I know they miss the interaction but living seems a little more important.

People are super selfish. I don’t understand why some of my neighbors are heading to the grocery store/Target/Costco a few times each week when plenty of delivery services are available.

I think there will be a new normal. There will be time that comes when you don't think about it anymore but things will be slightly different. To some extent it may be things that you don't see like better preparation for events like this and a better educated population with better readiness to shut things down quickly.

My concern is, does this end? We don’t know for sure hot weather will take it out and I am not impressed at our efforts towards a cure. If it does not go away this summer do we eventually have to go back to the pioneer times?
I've wondered about this also. Until a vaccine comes out won't it just keep flaring up? And considering how long it takes for new drugs and vaccines to pass all regulations what is a realistic timeline before a vaccine can even come out? I also think everyone should be required to get the vaccine when one does come out, even the anti vaxxers.

I think this "normal" will be around for awhile. In the next couple of months we will get thru this pandemic,
but I worry about a second wave of this strain hitting us this fall. The countries in Africa and South America
are just heading into their fall. Should it hit those areas, this strain could stay with us and strike again this fall.
That being said, if that were to happen, we will be much better prepared.

There will be permanent changes that will become normal with time. There has to be. If there isn't, then we didn't learn anything at all from this, which would be the worst possible outcome and set us up to happen again. Other than the small business fallout from this - I think processes and items surrounding healthcare will change. I believe we will implement some type of reserves for healthcare similar to how we have reserves for the military.

I've wondered about this also. Until a vaccine comes out won't it just keep flaring up? And considering how long it takes for new drugs and vaccines to pass all regulations what is a realistic timeline before a vaccine can even come out? I also think everyone should be required to get the vaccine when one does come out, even the anti vaxxers.
Don’t get me started on anti vaxers. They are ridiculous and I don’t care who that pisses off. I agree if we get a vaccine for this it needs to be required

The world has changed in the past due to world events and will continue to change because of them, that's one constant. I do fear for the small business and the heart of America that keep this country moving along, but human spirit is a powerful thing that will drive us all through this one way or another. The part that comes into the equation that has my mind on overdrive is how easy it is in todays world to get good/bad information instantly with a click... more importantly the bad...

The anti-vaxxers are a growing group and it's a very disturbing trend. Their moral bankruptcy and disregard for others is maddening and ideally they should go live on a compound together where they aren't a danger to other innocent lives. At the very least they shouldn't be allowed to attend public schools or colleges. Measles in the U.S. are now a thing again with 1,500+ cases since last fall after being virtually wiped out in the U.S. for 40 years. 140,000 people worldwide each year die from measles and most are under the age of 5.

It likely wouldn't be legal but if an effective vaccine for Covid 19 is developed, it should be mandatory for at least anyone attending any public school or college.

Of course it will. This too shall pass.

This still boggles my mind. I haven't been to the store much about once a week but every time I go no paper products of any kind

I can’t figure out the reasoning behind the need to hoard paper products as people are doing.

Funny thing is, how many people feel now is how I've felt for some time haha - Touching hand rails, elevator buttons, doors, it all already bothered the hell out of me. Hell, I couldn't go buy a Monster Energy drink from the gas station without wiping it down.

I thought for sure this would bring us together as a Nation, but any time I go to read something I see big efforts to remain partisan.

I think people have short term memory m give it 3 months after everything is lifted and people will be freaking out over the next thing, probably the election

Back