Will the increase in golfers translate to viewers?

Bryndom

2023 Grandaddy X!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15
Do you think we will start seeing increases ratings/interest in tour events with more people attracted to the game?

We’ve seen a huge increase here locally in people playing (and buying!) golf stuff. Will they become more eyes and ratings for the tour? I hope so, could renew interest in larger purses and more attendance in the stands

Not sure.

Lots of current golfers think that watching golf is boring

Right @billyh ???

I watch a little tv golf, but only because there's usually nothing else on the flat screen.

I like watching the great golf shots, and putts, but whomever is making those shots/putts is not a big deal for me.

I did get a little interested in de Chambeau for a while, but have lost that interest over past few weeks.

Idk. I guess Im one of those that like hitting golf balls more than watching others do it. It easier for me to stay awake when I hit them.

As for more golfer on our two courses, there has been an uptick of more green fees paid, but thats probably due to the closure of popular nearby course to make room for more homes, and apartments.

Last edited:
The only thing that will add golf viewers is someone who, like Tiger, attracts a new demographic. No game changer like that on the current scene for sure.

I LOVE watching on TV and in Person....WOuld rather [play, but when i get the chance, I watch

The only thing that will add golf viewers is someone who, like Tiger, attracts a new demographic. No game changer like that on the current scene for sure.
Sure there is, as long as we don't limit the discussion to one particular demographic. Abraham Ancer is an up-and-comer who could attract the Hispanic/Latin American demographic. Some of the younger cats like Zalatoris, Werensky, Strafaci, etc. could potentially draw a younger demographic. On the LPGA side, there are a ton of young, talented golfers who have the potential to create a lot of interest amongst AAPI - Patty Tavatanakit, Atthaya Thitikul, Lydia Ko, Chella Choi, Ariya and Moriya Jutanugarn, etc.

Last edited:
I think there will be some, but the biggest issue is that golf is on TV when a lot of people are playing golf. And with social media recording/DVRing and watching later is tough if you don't want to be spoiled before you watch.

The majors, particularly the Masters will do much better as that is pretty much appointment viewing, but for regular events, I don't think it will be much of a bump.

I'll say that for me, it doesn't enhance viewership at all when I have to switch media/channels 3 or 4 times to view a tournament. I'm not paying to subscribe to the PGA Tour Live thing or whatever it's called, and having to use that, then switch to Peacock or another streaming outlet, then switch to Golf Channel, then switch to network TV just to watch a round of golf is making it too much like freaking work. Only hardcore golf fans are going to be willing to chase the programming all over the internet and TV, casual viewers aren't going to bother.

So, why not just tune in to the broadcast, meaning CBS or NBC, and watching that. You make yourself sound like one of the truly addicted! 3 hours each on Saturday and Sunday is plenty for me! I don't need any of those other outlets.

Probably so. Since I don't watch any network TV shows, The Golf Channel is almost always on in the background.

Not sure.

Lots of current golfers think that watching golf is boring

Right @billyh ???
Eh, I haven’t watched network TV in like 5+ years. When I get to go to a hotel room with cable I’ll put on the golf channel.

The problem with watching golf on tv is the commentators suck, the rounds take FOREVER, and have you seen them line up a 3 foot put? I can catch the highlights on youtube in like 5 minutes instead and enjoy my weekend with my kids instead.

Sure there is, as long as we don't limit the discussion to one particular demographic. Abraham Ancer is an up-and-comer who could attract the Hispanic/Latin American demographic. Some of the younger cats like Zalatoris, Werensky, Strafaci, etc. could potentially draw a younger demographic. On the LPGA side, there are a ton of young, talented golfers who have the potential to create a lot of interest amongst AAPI - Patty Tavatanakit, Atthaya Thitikul, Lydia Ko, Chella Choi, Ariya and Moriya Jutanugarn, etc.
Potentially, yes. It isn't happening though. At least not yet.

I guess there was something sui generis about Tiger because he attracted attention to golf from a younger and less white-middle-class demographic while also at the same time being "must watch TV" for the same older and white-middle-class core that had always watched golf.

I don't actually watch or follow televised golf nowadays but I'm pretty sure none of the ones you mentioned have the sort of game-changing talent that Tiger did. I mean he didn't move the needle because of his racial background. The professional Tours hadn't been all-white for a long time before Tiger was born (and Tiger himself always took care to point out the real groundbreakers who came before him). He moved the needle because you could tell at a glance that he was better than the guys he played against AND he looked different as well.

That combination was the game-changer. It may well happen again one day. But there's nobody on the scene at the moment as far as I know who's going to supercharge the golf entertainment media anything like Tiger did. And absent that, televised golf seems (to me) to be on a slow slide into being niche entertainment much like it was pre-Tiger.

Sure, why not. I love to see how the pros get out of "human" predicaments and imagine new golfers would be interested in that also. It is a must to have a DVR and be able to fast forward through the slow parts and commercials. I record all PGA events, so it is ready when I am. I use Youtube.tv with it's unlimited DVR.

Nailed it. Tiger will always be the number one draw for me but I have been watching a lot more golf the last couple of years because of the wealth of young talent. So many up and coming superstars playing exciting golf right now.

I have been watching just as much LPGA as PGA recently for the same reason. Lydia Ko has quickly become my favorite golfer on either tour and there are so many other exciting young players on the LPGA tour playing lights out golf right now.

I think some of the newer golfers will naturally tune into pro golf and with all the exciting young talent I have to think many will continue to be regular viewers.

I suspect that there will be an increase. Probably not nearly to the same degree, but there will be some curiosity. You’ll get some people who hear the chatter on course and want to be able to follow along or chime in so naturally they’ll start watching.

I think what I’m looking to is the next 2-5 years. I want to know what those numbers are going to be. Both playing and watching.

Back