Will Tony Finau Win in 2021?

While I again don't disagree, if the narrative is that he can't win, the easy answer is he was in a playoff to pick one up and didn't get it done. Could be snake bit, bad play, luck, whatever someone wants to call it. Until he breaks through the narrative doesn't change, right?
I think anyone arguing the narrative that he "doesn't" win is in the clouds haha
I think the narrative that he "can't" win is not a good one to push after a Sunday 64.

Before he attempted the putt on 10, I believe they said it had been fooling golfers regularly on the day and was quite tricky.

I'm not concerned about that putt. I didn't love the tee shot on the following hole, but I thought his recovery shot from the bunker was awesome - still can't believe it didn't roll out.

Tricky is one thing. Leaving a putt from inside 10 feet (feel like it was 6 or 7), short of the hole to win is just completely unacceptable, especially with his track record (lack of wins). You play to win, go out and take it. You think Tiger, DJ, Rahm, JT, etc hit that putt like that? Not in a million years.

Again, I'm a big Finau fan, and root for him a lot, his story is great, but man that annoyed me.

I think anyone arguing the narrative that he "doesn't" win is in the clouds haha
I think the narrative that he "can't" win is not a good one to push after a Sunday 64.

To be fair, I don't think too many are pushing it as the thread was started before that.
But the fact remains, he didn't win. Again. He played amazingly well (although I agree with @Lions81 about the putt and leaving it short).

I badly need Tony to win. The ‘when will Tony Finau win again’ song is no longer welcome in my house. And neither is any other combination of words sung to the same melody. It’s killing me.

It would have been better if Homa holed that putt on 18 to win in regulation (as he should have). Then the story would have been Tony made a great charge, shot a final round best of 64 but Homa did just enough to win..

But sadly instead it went to play off. Homa hit an amazing chip from the grave. Finau got double crossed into the bunker and once again he is a bridesmaid..

He played great. You could tell he was as visibly upset by this one as I have have seen him.. But in no way did he choke or shrink in the moment.

The only choke here was Homa on 18. He was just able to redeem it..

To be fair, I don't think too many are pushing it as the thread was started before that.
But the fact remains, he didn't win. Again. He played amazingly well (although I agree with @Lions81 about the putt and leaving it short).
I mean, I get a sense from @MWard's posts that a closing round of 64 on Sunday including two birdies after a back nine bogey is not getting the job done when the heat is on. So that's my only issue here, that he played a fantastic final round and put himself in a great place to win, removing the Chik Fil A claims for at least this week (if his last few under par round finishes were not enough).

I'm not contesting his win record. It's there for everyone to see :ROFLMAO:

I mean, I get a sense from @MWard's posts that a closing round of 64 on Sunday including two birdies after a back nine bogey is not getting the job done when the heat is on. So that's my only issue here, that he played a fantastic final round and put himself in a great place to win, removing the Chik Fil A claims for at least this week (if his last few under par round finishes were not enough).

I get it. Totally. I want this monkey off his back, but I do agree with @Lions81 that no matter how tricky that putt was, leaving it short was not an option.

I get it. Totally. I want this monkey off his back, but I do agree with @Lions81 that no matter how tricky that putt was, leaving it short was not an option.

I agree with this. and even said the same in the event thread.. He had to hit it like he wanted it..

I'm on the other side of this and agree with most of @MWard, @Lions81 , and @JB 's posts.

You keep saying the round of 64 is some great example of him performing under pressure and I just don't get that. When it gets head to head where you just shot a 64 and your opponent just choked a putt on 18 how is it not completely on you to go out and take that win? If your opponent recovers, goes out and does something amazing to beat you, that's one thing. For you to be in perfect position on the first playoff hole and him be in a terrible spot and you not to pull it out, is something else entirely. The whole situation does zero to undo his developing reputation of not being a closer in my opinion.

He was so out of it going into Sunday that he had to shoot a 64 to get into it. He started slipping on ice on 15. Caught his balance 16-17, slipped again on 18 fairway, and then basically had the legs go out from under him from that birdie putt on.

Yeah, he has the game to shoot 64 on that course. I have never denied his talent. I am questioning his mental strength. It’s good, but it’s not proving to be good enough.

Believe he will win this year but not a major.

Golf is unlike any other sport. Going your entire 15 year career and winning 1 or 2 times is a great achievement. That’s not the same in any other sport. Finau is a talented golfer, we can all agree. It’s not a matter of if he is talented enough. I don’t even think it’s a deep mental issue either. It’s not easy to win a PGA event, and he is coming close on a weekly basis. He is not Briny Baird.

Briny - the guy with the big hat ... I remember him from going to the Nelson for several years when it was Party Central. Then they killed the fun in the early 00's. I mean, when you kill off the strippers ...:censored:

I'm going to put a buck on him every week to win until he wins, or I run out of money.
This is the year he breaks the curse

Back