Will You Retire to a Golf Community?

I always worry, if I buy in a golf course community and the course goes under and there goes the property value.

It’s an option but wanting to be by the beach and preferably have direct water access I will
Settle for being near golf.

No, I’m going to be a snowbird. I’ll be near golf courses but will not be in a golf community.

I am with you. I will be snowbirding in the Naples Florida area. I am in the process of having a house built there. I will have access to more than enough courses. They will not be cheap to play and if I want to join a semi-private club I will be able to afford it.

If we can do it affordably, absolutely. Most likely retirement is just somewhere warm with the ability to play golf yearly.

I just relocated to my retirement home. I was looking at golf course communities but didn’t pick one. Today’s housing market has so few homes to choose from and there was nothing available that suited my wife and I in the area I wanted to move to. Also, some of the communities we looked at had very high monthly maintenance fees and had very restrictive rules about what you could do to your property. You weren’t even allowed to plant flowers. We found a place that we both love. The only drawback is how far we are from the nearest golf course.

Nope.

I’ll be on or near a course but not in a golf-specific community.

I’d love to! Whether the better half agrees would be up for discussion. But if not, for sure would NEED to be close to a course

I definitely want to. I just hope I can get to be able to.

Hard yes. Most definitely, absolute.

I don’t know yet if we will be in a specific golf community. Where we live now is close to so much golf available I imagine will be stay around here. Our grandkids are close by also now and the wife won’t venture very far away.

Starting to consider that now…. Will probably not live there full time, but looking at homes or condos in golf communities in a warmer climate. My wife would go today if given the opportunity. I’m in no rush, considering the premium prices in play lately.

I’d also like to be relatively close to the water as I enjoy a bit of sailing and kayaking…. We’ll see how it pans out.

Nope! I plan on living on land I’ve already purchased in SE AK.

That said, I’ll see how the first year goes. I should be in a place where I can go elsewhere in the winter if that first year stinks too much.

I live on a golf course right now. It's a mid price local place and it's perfect. I join for $1000 a year and walk out of my garage and play any time I want as long as I stay out of the way, which I am an expert at.

My wife and I failed.

We have two happy, successful adult children with wonderful families who each live within ten minutes of us. So we are making plans to retire in place and may consider the snowbird route (my PCP tells me at every physical that his snowbird patients live the longest, healthiest lives.) But I don't see us retiring in a golf community.

no, Will retire to about 5-10 acres in North Texas where i can drive to a course. But i want to have some room to garden, couple of animals and no HOA
What’s HOA

no will happily live where we are , having undergone a major renovation just 4 years ago . It’s set us up in size and fit out home for retirement , we are both healthy buys she’s 11 years younger than me ) so won’t be retiring together and she doesn’t play the game . Inasmuch as l
Love the game it won’t consume me to play daily or that frequently so much more to do also

I did not but it is only a 10 minute drive to the course. Retired young in a house that we already had fully paid off so we are likely here for the long haul.

Absolutely!, if I can swing the price. I'd really like to find a course with at least 36 holes of "good" golf. Still need to win the lottery but The Oaks near Sarasota is a great example. Dove Mountain in AZ is another one.

I want to retire to a golf community that I can drive a golf cart anywhere I need. My father in law was in one for a short time and when we visited, it was heaven.

Probably not in a golf community but somewhere with a variety of courses to play would be nice

Not sure but I would absolutely love to

I wish. I’m betting no though. 😢

That's really my dream scenario. My wife would really like to be on the water somewhere but I'm not a big water guy so give me the golf community. I think being a part of a community like that could be a nice way to wind down in life.

Back