Will You Retire to a Golf Community?

Assuming you have not retired yet, so decisions have not been made. Do you think you will retire to a golf community?

Unless something changes in the next 8 years I will be headed to the Villages.

My wife and I are both teachers and when we are not running errands that we can't seem to find time for during the school year (like dentist appointments) we play a lot of golf and tennis. I'd love to wind up in South Carolina or the Georgia sea islands. She would like to be on the water like her parents house in Maine, but I doubt we would be affording that. Maybe a golf community if the course is good and reasonably priced. Don't mind the HOA if they mow the lawn and take care of things but if the retirement community doesn't have that provision, I would be more reluctant. Maybe near a lot of courses like Charleston, HH, Bluffton, or the sea islands.

My wife and I are both teachers and when we are not running errands that we can't seem to find time for during the school year (like dentist appointments) we play a lot of golf and tennis. I'd love to wind up in South Carolina or the Georgia sea islands. She would like to be on the water like her parents house in Maine, but I doubt we would be affording that. Maybe a golf community if the course is good and reasonably priced. Don't mind the HOA if they mow the lawn and take care of things but if the retirement community doesn't have that provision, I would be more reluctant. Maybe near a lot of courses like Charleston, HH, Bluffton, or the sea islands.
Maine..... you're nucking futs!! I want to retire away from this!
20200410_070103.jpg
🤣🤣

Nope, last week was some 90° 80% humidity crap that turned overnight into a high of 57° and rain. 😔
Great golf weather! The missus is afraid she will miss the snow and skiing in the winter if we become snowbirds. I think being home at Christmas time will be enough snow for me!

I've joked with my wife for years that when I retire I want to work at a golf course mowing grass. Will have to see if that pans out.

Not necessarily. At 39, I’m already in my forever home in Surprise (NW PHX) with an RV garage big enough for whatever simulator I want, and close enough to TONS of courses, from muni to incredible. No reason to be married to just one. Plus, I’m hoping to be able to enjoy some snowbird life, and head to cooler climes in the summer.

I sincerely hope so

Well let's see, 5 years - 1 month and 24 days but who's counting!!! Anyway, I will either move to a golf community and use my cart to get around everywhere, or move to somewhere the year round golf is pleasant or become a member but for me I would say 3-6 days of golf are ahead in retirement. I am just focused on getting my game in shape for retirement. Both kids in college now so more time to practice, plus the putting green was installed two weeks ago... midnight here and just finished working on some more putting.

I've thought about it off and on over the years but honestly probably won't make it until retirement age so no need to really dwell on it.

Eying an acre lot close to a private club that can't be built on yet. This would be ideal for my pending retirement countdown.
Not many true retirement golf communities in Colorado like those in the southeast.

We May at some point move to a golf community but it won’t be on the right side of any of the fairways

As an immigrant to the US 30 years ago, I would like to express my gratitude to teachers like you and your wife. Without them, I would not be where I am at today, making a very comfortable salary to allow me playing golf whenever I feel like it, and having a wonderful life. None of that would have happened if it weren't for countless dedicate teachers. THANK YOU.

Teaching, IMHO, is one of the hardest and yet no highly paid professions. Teachers deserve to be paid more with better benefits and retirement. I am for one would not mind if my property and sale tax need to be increased to support this. It is NOT right when a recent graduate BS Computer Science major is making 125K/year, a lot more than a teacher with more than 30 years teaching. That just does not sit well for me.

I just hate HOA. They just have so many stupid rules and so many people on the HOA board are nut. As soon as I make enough money, I left the place and moved to Mclean Virginia where there is no HOA. I am so glad I did.

Maybe eventually, but my wife wants to and loves to travel... so we will probably travel quite a bit before settling down somewhere when I retire.

As an immigrant to the US 30 years ago, I would like to express my gratitude to teachers like you and your wife. Without them, I would not be where I am at today, making a very comfortable salary to allow me playing golf whenever I feel like it, and having a wonderful life. None of that would have happened if it weren't for countless dedicate teachers. THANK YOU.

Teaching, IMHO, is one of the hardest and yet no highly paid professions. Teachers deserve to be paid more with better benefits and retirement. I am for one would not mind if my property and sale tax need to be increased to support this. It is NOT right when a recent graduate BS Computer Science major is making 125K/year, a lot more than a teacher with more than 30 years teaching. That just does not sit well for me.

I just hate HOA. They just have so many stupid rules and so many people on the HOA board are nut. As soon as I make enough money, I left the place and moved to Mclean Virginia where there is no HOA. I am so glad I did.
Thank you! It was a tough year this past year with Covid but we made it through. Now to unwind with plenty of golf.

I still have few years before retirement and haven't looked into a golf community yet. But I guess I should.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

What’s HOA
It stands for homeowner's association. Some are good and provide amenities like swimming pools, landscaping, parks and green areas in the neighborhood that the houses are part of. People are expected to pay their dues and fees which go to support maintenance of the amenities and such.

Some aren't as good and take the dues and fees and make rules and restrictions that aren't easy for some people to live by... like the grass in your yard cannot be taller than a certain height. Or your trash cans cannot be out in plan sight for more than it takes the garbage truck to empty it. If you don't abide by the rules, you can be fined.

Some are even worse. The association board members see their position as lord and master of the neighborhood and expect everyone to succumb to their rules and restrictions. If you don't then they can make life miserable for you... fines, additional dues, being sued in petty court, having a lien put on your house preventing you from selling it...

I'd maybe consider living close to a golf course but not in a community. I like where I am but it's slowly becoming more commercialized. There are people moving into the area and traffic is increasing more than it was a few years ago.

It stands for homeowner's association. Some are good and provide amenities like swimming pools, landscaping, parks and green areas in the neighborhood that the houses are part of. People are expected to pay their dues and fees which go to support maintenance of the amenities and such.

Some aren't as good and take the dues and fees and make rules and restrictions that aren't easy for some people to live by... like the grass in your yard cannot be taller than a certain height. Or your trash cans cannot be out in plan sight for more than it takes the garbage truck to empty it. If you don't abide by the rules, you can be fined.

Some are even worse. The association board members see their position as lord and master of the neighborhood and expect everyone to succumb to their rules and restrictions. If you don't then they can make life miserable for you... fines, additional dues, being sued in petty court, having a lien put on your house preventing you from selling it...

I'd maybe consider living close to a golf course but not in a community. I like where I am but it's slowly becoming more commercialized. There are people moving into the area and traffic is increasing more than it was a few years ago.

I used to live in a community with HOA just like what you described above, and one of the HOA board members made my life miserable. Five years later, he is a lobbyist and tried to get my brother in-law to write the law favorable for the industry he lobbied for. My brother in-law knew what he did to me, and he demanded that the association must fires that dude and blacklisted him if they want the legislation to be written in a favorable way. The dude got fired from his job, lost his house and his seat in the HOA board. I guess you can call it karma.

The minute I make enough money to move, I moved to Mclean Virginia where there is NO HOA. I regularly the trash can in front of the house for up three days (a week a few times) without fear of the HOA police squad. A few times, I let the grass in my yard went crazy and nothing happened because there is NO HOA. It's great to live in Mclean Virginia where there is no HOA police.

You're not going to pay me enough for me to move to a place where there is HOA police.

I used to live in a community with HOA just like what you described above, and one of the HOA board members made my life miserable. Five years later, he is a lobbyist and tried to get my brother in-law to write the law favorable for the industry he lobbied for. My brother in-law knew what he did to me, and he demanded that the association must fires that dude and blacklisted him if they want the legislation to be written in a favorable way. The dude got fired from his job, lost his house and his seat in the HOA board. I guess you can call it karma.

The minute I make enough money to move, I moved to Mclean Virginia where there is NO HOA. I regularly the trash can in front of the house for up three days (a week a few times) without fear of the HOA police squad. A few times, I let the grass in my yard went crazy and nothing happened because there is NO HOA. It's great to live in Mclean Virginia where there is no HOA police.

You're not going to pay me enough for me to move to a place where there is HOA police.
Man, that's one of the dark side of HOA stories.

In my area, there was an HOA but it wasn't incorporated, nor were there any covenants, bylaws, or anything pertaining to an HOA when I signed the papers on my house.

I don't hate HOA's. I don't fault people for living in them. There ARE some good ones. There are some bad ones also. I'd rather not take the chance of finding out so I'll stick to my acreage and house... and if someone ever tries to start one, sorry "I don't speak your language.":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I could do it without retiring, but it would be hard seeing the course waiting for me to tear it up (literally, definitely not through scoring)

Whenever I play Craft Farms in Gulf Shores, I have the thought “this wouldn’t suck.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why wait till you retire?

Back