Will you still let them play.

I am not saying that at all. I am saying the rule is cut and dry. Whether the decision was a good or bad one isn't all that relevant. It's not all that dramatic of a change.

But I use the example again, if you allowed the belly putter why couldn't I ground my club in the bunker? Both are in equal standing in the rule book.

And from your stand point you are completly right. Rules are rules. However when im playing with people and their ball is on a tree root I tell them to move it so they dont damage their clubs or wrist. If a ball is sitting in a very soggy area then ill let them move it so they dont get drenched and muddy. In a friendly game I definitely let some rules go to enjoy the game a little more.
Now in a tournament rules must be folllowed, no exceptions.
I just know in my standpoint if its just a weekend round for fun or even a little skins if a player is enjoying the game using a belly putter for whatever reason im not going to count them out of the friendly competition...

non issue for me. They can play in my group whenever they want

I wouldn't care, in ANY situation. I used one for 6 months and it did nothing for me in the long run. I had some great round with them and some where I couldn't make anything. Just like with a regular putter.

Whatever makes the game more enjoyable is what I am for. Let em' play!

I am not saying that at all. I am saying the rule is cut and dry. Whether the decision was a good or bad one isn't all that relevant. It's not all that dramatic of a change.

But I use the example again, if you allowed the belly putter why couldn't I ground my club in the bunker? Both are in equal standing in the rule book.

I disagree that it's "not all that dramatic of a change"

I play once a month with a friend who is in his mid 60's. Over the last couple of years something had happened and his hands shake involuntarily. Doesn't effect his tee to green game, but on the greens a conventional putter cannot be used. The belly or long putter has helped him stabilize his stroke and continue to enjoy the game he has played all of his adult life.

For him and many other older golfers I'm sure there are a ton of similar stories & I'm not ok with telling them they can't play the game anymore because of an issue they can't control.

This game is hard enough & should be about having fun, not putting restrictions with some arbitrary rule. Sorry for the post/rant, but as you can see this one hits a little closer to home.

I think one rule (bunker) is fair to all where the belly putter effects a few. Many folks on here have tried the belly putter and gave up. They decided it was no help to their games. The majority of the rules of golf were well thought out and respected. The recent rule change for the belly/long putter anchoring is not considered a fair one by all who play the game. I would like to see this rule put on a ballet and let the majority of all golfers make the decision on whether to make it a "rule". Personally if I decide to go back to the belly, and I'm considering it, I will totally give up tournament golf. For me I'm out there trying to enjoy my time outdoors.

Only ever played with one guy who used it. He had it cut down not too long into it. I think the ban is kinda silly too. For the casual player like my friend who used it, it takes lots of practice to tune that thing in. He could never find any consistency with distance control. I have no issue with anyone using it, though I can understand tournaments not using them.

Of course! I couldn't care less. My bros can use shovels if they want to. I don't care at all.

I have no problem with it at all

I disagree that it's "not all that dramatic of a change"

I play once a month with a friend who is in his mid 60's. Over the last couple of years something had happened and his hands shake involuntarily. Doesn't effect his tee to green game, but on the greens a conventional putter cannot be used. The belly or long putter has helped him stabilize his stroke and continue to enjoy the game he has played all of his adult life.

For him and many other older golfers I'm sure there are a ton of similar stories & I'm not ok with telling them they can't play the game anymore because of an issue they can't control.

This game is hard enough & should be about having fun, not putting restrictions with some arbitrary rule. Sorry for the post/rant, but as you can see this one hits a little closer to home.

I have no issue with you ranting and you shouldn't feel the need to apologize. Debate is how people learn, case in point, I am learning now. I can understand the issue with older folks needing the belly putter to actually play, so in that regard I don't suppose I can offer objection.

I wouldn't be the type to throw my arms up if someone was using the anchored putter, but it still goes against the way golf has always been taught to me; be honest and follow the rules. It's one of those situations where cognitive dissonance takes over and you're caught between a rock and another rock.

Yes, I will let them play it. Reasoning? If I'm not going to check for other non-conforming gear (e.g., wedge grooves) then quibbling over the putter seems silly. Of course, if it's for cash, I won't let my opponent play a non-conforming ball like the Polara.

I think one rule (bunker) is fair to all where the belly putter effects a few. Many folks on here have tried the belly putter and gave up. They decided it was no help to their games. The majority of the rules of golf were well thought out and respected. The recent rule change for the belly/long putter anchoring is not considered a fair one by all who play the game. I would like to see this rule put on a ballet and let the majority of all golfers make the decision on whether to make it a "rule". Personally if I decide to go back to the belly, and I'm considering it, I will totally give up tournament golf. For me I'm out there trying to enjoy my time outdoors.

I don't think it was a particularly well thought out rule either. Seemed like a knee-jerk reaction. It makes me wonder about how all of the rules of golf were formed along the way. I am not a golf historian by any means, were there many rules that had a similar polarizing effect once introduced?

I wouldn't care, in ANY situation. I used one for 6 months and it did nothing for me in the long run. I had some great round with them and some where I couldn't make anything. Just like with a regular putter.
My initial reaction is we have to follow the rules. But upon reflection, I'm with Smalls. I missed just as much with the belly as I did with anything else. Back when they were contemplating the rule change I contended that it wasn't an advantage. I've got to stay true to that sentiment, so I say let people play what they want. I don't care either way.

Wouldn't bother me at all. If someone anchors their putter and they make more putts, it stands to reason their handicap will reflect their better scoring. If they now are forced to use a "regular" putter, their handicaps will go up, since they may be making less putts. I think there is no advantage either way. To me its almost like choosing which set of tees to use. Once you determine which ones to use, your handicap or scoring will reflect your choice - blue tees maybe 2-3 strokes more difficult than white, senior tees maybe 2-3 strokes easier than white. As long as you consistently use the same set of tees, or the same putter, there should be no problem, in normal competition, in determining strokes to give or get.

I don't think it was a particularly well thought out rule either. Seemed like a knee-jerk reaction. It makes me wonder about how all of the rules of golf were formed along the way. I am not a golf historian by any means, were there many rules that had a similar polarizing effect once introduced?

Not to my knowledge partner. I've never heard of one that had the debate equal to the legality of the belly putter. You look at other modern equipment like drivers, irons, & balls. The square groove change was pretty dramatic. Didn't Mickleson pull out an old ping wedge to protest? I'm thinking the golf ball is going to be challenged in the not to distant future.

I could care less if someone plays an "illegal" club during fun rounds, but when it comes to competition they need to follow the rules. Even in my "friendly" league, our thought on this topic is we can have all the fun we want during league play, but three times a year (tournaments) it is competitive and rules will be enforced.

go nuts.... If a guy can win a green jacket a few months ago with one what the hell do I care.

If it is a casual game, feel free to use whatever you want. Problem is if a score will be posted to GHIN, then that is an issue. Also if $ is on the line or a tournament then now way. Where do the rules stop then, belly putters, winter rules etc. Got to draw the line.

Doesn't bother me a bit. Even for Money rounds and tournys I'm cool with it.

Let 'em play, I would rather they have a fun round than fret and fuss during the round about their putting because of a "silly" rule.

So the question I have is where do you draw the line? Anchored putters, drivers that are non-conforming, illegal grooves? I tried a non-conforming driver the other day with a Trackman and got an extra 30+ yards. Like I say if a guy is just playing around, not an issue, otherwise I have a problem with it.

Literally no one that I play golf with uses an anchored putter, so it's not going to be an issue for me. In fact, over years of getting paired up with random singles or pairs at courses, I've only ever played with one guy that anchored. With that said, I wouldn't care if somebody anchored and we were playing one of our normal (extremely low stakes) money games. Wouldn't bother me a bit. Unless he was really slow :angry:

I would let them play, I don't think it should ever have been banned. I don't think it is an advantage, besides, I haven't seen a long putter at my course.

So the question I have is where do you draw the line? Anchored putters, drivers that are non-conforming, illegal grooves? I tried a non-conforming driver the other day with a Trackman and got an extra 30+ yards. Like I say if a guy is just playing around, not an issue, otherwise I have a problem with it.

It is a hard line to draw. Many things could be said from eaxh side of the spectrum. I guess for me personally does it make the game any easier for the masses.
If a driver isnt conforming and everyone has an advantage from it, okay ban it. However IMO an anchored putter doesnt make the game any easier. The hole doesnt get any bigger.

Back