Will you still let them play.

So the question I have is where do you draw the line? Anchored putters, drivers that are non-conforming, illegal grooves? I tried a non-conforming driver the other day with a Trackman and got an extra 30+ yards. Like I say if a guy is just playing around, not an issue, otherwise I have a problem with it.

I'd say for those that plan on playing in USGA sanctioned tournaments will have to honor what is about to take place in 2016. You have no choice. I do think golf may lose a few of the older guys who would continue to play in tournaments if not for this mandate. Surely a few hundred golfers bailing out of tournament play will not affect the growth of the game :confused2:

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest, be it casual, tournament, or otherwise...just couldn't care less.

Since I don't like the rule, I wouldn't care if I were playing a tournament and someone was using it. Just my opinion, though.

I wouldn't care in any situation, as I have never seen anyone putt any better with a belly or a long putter when anchoring it at any course I have played. I've seen some people try out a belly for a month or two and then go back to a normal putter, I am probably the only one I know that has kept the belly putter this long (1.5yrs) and I don't anchor it, so it's a non-issue anyways.

With my pondering of going back to a belly putter, I had a thought. In a little more than a year anchored putters will be banned. Now club houses will follow the ruling in most tournaments and events. However I believe alot of weekend worriors or golfers that dont play in a competition type setting will continue to use their anchored putter. Now with regular games most wont pay any mind to it, bit when it comes to skins or friendly wagers will you let them continue to use their putter?

I can only speak for myself but I have no issue with someone using an anchored putter, even in a tournament setting. To my mind, this is one of the poorest decisions made by the USGA in the past few years.

I think the rule is stupid too. If it was so helpful then everyone would use it. Just saying come tournament or $ time the rules are the rules.

I think the rule is stupid too. If it was so helpful then everyone would use it. Just saying come tournament or $ time the rules are the rules.

Have you ever tried one of the belly/long putters? I think in a money game or tournament the player with the long putter should be given strokes :D

Have you ever tried one of the belly/long putters? I think in a money game or tournament the player with the long putter should be given strokes :D

For real!! Seriously Ive tried them multiple times and it was just ridiculous. I'd putt better with my 8I than one of those

Not worried at all, they still have to make the putts like the next guy. Now if we're playing in a tournament, that's another story...at least if they are going by the books it would be. I still wouldn't care, if I'm being honest.

Have tried the belly but not the long putters. Like any other putter in my basement sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Look forward to trying the counterbalanced putters though.

Wouldn't give a monkeys to be honest. I've actually never seen anyone playing with a belly putter out on the course, so it would be kinda cool.

Sure, I will let them play and I will still take all their money !

Weekend warrior? Casual game? I don't care if you putt with with a pool cue. A tournament? Rules are rules.

Pretty much like the above. I don't care if my buddy uses outlaw balls and non conforming driver, packed with banned wedges and a broomstick for a putter, but in tournaments, that's a different game.

With my pondering of going back to a belly putter, I had a thought. In a little more than a year anchored putters will be banned. Now club houses will follow the ruling in most tournaments and events. However I believe alot of weekend worriors or golfers that dont play in a competition type setting will continue to use their anchored putter. Now with regular games most wont pay any mind to it, bit when it comes to skins or friendly wagers will you let them continue to use their putter?

No. Any time there is money involved, the rules are involved. Sucks, but it is what it is.

I will let them play, without question. Personally I think the decision was a bit heavy handed anyway. I don't use one and never have but still think it's like any other piece of gear and you must practice and master it to be successful with it.
</rant>
In our friendly rounds I am fairly certain one of the guys has 20 or so clubs in his bag I don't fuss with that so why would I fuss about the flatstick?

just a thought imho......where do you draw the line? belly putters ?...."hot" golf balls....always playing winter rules......putting with pin in.......fixing spike marks before putting....borrowing a club from another players bag....moving ball away from tree root/obstacle to prevent damage to club or player.......have done all of these in social;/practice rounds. must follow rule in tourny of money games

Casual game? Don't care...well, maybe...I mean, there are limits:

cigar-guy-caddyshack-rodney-dangerfield.png

But a tournament, do your darndest to conform to whatever the modern rulebook is.

Play with people that bend the rules all the time (cheat). I used to let bother me which messed up my game. If I'm the score keeper just write down what they tell me, in the end they know and I know. I figure it just shows character or lack of.

Wouldn't bother me a bit. If I'm not competing with that person, I don't care what they're doing. If I am competing with them, losing will be the result of getting beaten by superior golf, not because they used a different putter.

Sure, it wouldn't bother me.

Grip n Rip
@bigtazzGOLF

If we're playing for money I'd have to say no illegal gear. It's the same with my uncle trying to use HiCor drivers when he's already 290 off the tee.

Now for my other buddies who are learning to play? Anything goes as long as the keep pace!

I don't have a problem with it, but I think the USGA should amend the rule to allow for medical waivers. If you need a long putter because of your back, you should not be penalized.

I don't have a problem with it, but I think the USGA should amend the rule to allow for medical waivers. If you need a long putter because of your back, you should not be penalized.

You can still use a long putter, you just can't anchor it

I know. I think that a medical waiver should be available so they don't have to think about it.

Back