OITW

Reaction score
Never been to this town before.

What can people tell me about the following:

Golf

Food/Dining - preferably outdoor

Outdoor Activities

Plenty of nice golf courses there and a ton of history at Colonial Williamsburg. Look it up online and you will find a lot of history.

I played at Brickshire (not too far from Williamsburg) last weekend during our league play and had a blast. Very nice course. Royal New Kent golf course is close by Brickshire too.

Not sure what is open with covid though, but here is link for colonial Williamsburg https://www.colonialwilliamsburg.org/

Never played any golf around there, but Colonial Williamsburg is fun to visit. No matter what, plan to spend a little time there, in addition to taking the short drive over to Jamestown.

I'm probably in the minority here, but visiting Colonial Williamsburg was one of the biggest letdowns of our lives. Maybe we got a bad tour, but we remember it as being very commercial and light on experience. There are a lot of places I would visit again. Colonial WIlliamsburg is not one of them.

Have not been in that area in close to 10 years if not longer. There were two Mike Stranz courses not far from Williamsburg that I personnaly liked. Royal New Kent and the other Stone House. Stranz had a tendency to design courses that most people either really liked or quite the opposite. I couldn't even tell you if these courses are still in existence today. If you like Stranz courses and these are around and in good condition I would probably recommend playing at least one of them.

I'm probably in the minority here, but visiting Colonial Williamsburg was one of the biggest letdowns of our lives. Maybe we got a bad tour, but we remember it as being very commercial and light on experience. There are a lot of places I would visit again. Colonial WIlliamsburg is not one of them.

Agree although went there as a kid on family vacation and about 5 years ago on the way to DC.... you have to really love history otherwise its a couple streets done up and a small restaurant scene.

I guess a better thing to suggest....don't plan your entire trip around Colonial Williamsburg. Plan a portion of a day, then visit Jamestown, then whatever else you want. Just don't assume you can spend two/three days there.

Good advice and descriptions here. I am a big history buff, for the record.

Never been to this town before.

What can people tell me about the following:

Golf

Food/Dining - preferably outdoor

Outdoor Activities

Been there plenty of times as I have family there.

Would recommend:
Kingsmill (Sadly is private last I checked but River course is a nice track but overpriced)
Fords Colony: Blackheath course if possbile but I like them all
Williamsburg national: Jamestown course is awesome and I love the challenge is brings(hit a bad shot and you deserve to not shoot well)
Kikiack: Love the elevation changes and has a nice flow to the course and would play everyday
Stonehouse: Have played it once and while challenging I thought it was a nice track
Colonial Heritage: Like the course just remember it always being a slower round but worth the price

The golf Royal New Kent is your best available. It is one of Mike Strantz best. I played there a week ago and it is in great shape. You can use teeoff.com and get a really great deal there. Do not go to Stonehouse. They were closed a while and while they are coming back strong the greens are in horrible shape. Kiskiack is nice the Gold at Golden Horseshoe is very nice. Ford's Colony are nice courses. Best bang for buck though is RNK..
Williamsburg has a large downtown area of Colonial reenactment. There are tours and such but candidly you can go and just park and walk and experience 95% of it for free. There are many nice soup/sandwich places but I can't comment on the restaurants.
William and Mary university has a campus downtown next to the Colonial area and it is a very attractive area to just wander.
When I lived in CT several times I did golf trips to Williamsburg. It's a price point cheap but some great golf. I now live an hour away and make the run up about every other week to play Royal New Kent. The last couple weeks I got to play three of the best in state which are near by but private. Federal which is nice, Two Rivers which is very nice and Kinloch which is the best in state. My guess is Carl the head pro at Federal is kinda looking for some publicity.....I'd reach out. Ya never know.

Colonial Williamsburg is a hoax. Most of the buildings are recreations, even quite a bit of the governors mansion is refurbished-read not made by colonists.
but I digress.....
Kingsmill resort is the place to play golf! PlantTion course, and the River course where they held the Michelob championship for many years. Great course! Extremely challenging, great views of the James River

Back