Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

I haven't had the Cortex out recently. I guess too bummed it isn't working out for me. I reached out to Corey at Wilson to see if he had any input into my problem. He sent Jon Pergande in R&D an email asking for some input. Based on Jon's input I have installed a UST Mamiya VTS Silver Regular flex shaft and made the loft stronger to open the face. It will be a while before I get it out again because it is raining in NorCal again.:banghead:

Which makes so much more sense than the X flex you were wanting for the event based on swing, tempo and miss.

I haven't had the Cortex out recently. I guess too bummed it isn't working out for me. I reached out to Corey at Wilson to see if he had any input into my problem. He sent Jon Pergande in R&D an email asking for some input. Based on Jon's input I have installed a UST Mamiya VTS Silver Regular flex shaft and made the loft stronger to open the face. It will be a while before I get it out again because it is raining in NorCal again.:banghead:

VTS Silver is my favorite hyrbid shaft. I haven't made the jump in to it for a driver yet, but I constantly think about it. Looking forward to see how it goes for you.

Which makes so much more sense than the X flex you were wanting for the event based on swing, tempo and miss.

Yeah it does. I would love to try a Helium stiff shaft with this head. I have one in my F9 and it is awesome.

Finally got back on the course this weekend. Played so much better than in SC a couple weekends ago. The cortex was working well again.
I going to try the red shaft out some as well. I think a little more launch would help me out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also got out this weekend and The Cortex continues to impress! I have it paired with a UST ProForce XX in F4 with head weights set to draw, which is creating a medium & straight ball flight. I seem to be getting a little extra distance with the UST over the Atmos, but nothing crazy. I still love this driver and with the matte green Duo Pro’s & Tour V6 irons you could say that I’ve become a huge fan of Wilson!

Here it is mid 70s and I can't get out to play a round. Hopefully, I will at least have the chance to go to the range tomorrow. There's a league tournament next Saturday at a challenging course and I haven't been able to even swing a club since last months tournament.

Honestly not too worried though. As long as I put a halfway decent swing on the ball I know that I will see good results with the Cortex.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Played today and switched the blue stiff with the red regular flex and it worked really well. Launch was great and carry distance was better. Shot a 76 from the blues which is real good for me. Missed one fairway with the driver today.
Might have played better because there was no fireball today haha

Played today and switched the blue stiff with the red regular flex and it worked really well. Launch was great and carry distance was better. Shot a 76 from the blues which is real good for me. Missed one fairway with the driver today.
Might have played better because there was no fireball today haha

:bulgy-eyes: :confused2:

Glad to hear that the red improved on what was honestly already pretty darn good results.

Bad news: I couldn't make it out, not even to the range, last weekend.

Good news: My wife called as she was arriving before her twilight league (much more flexible work hours than I have). "Hey, you have a tournament Saturday. We can't get a round in but we'll need to go to the range tomorrow night and Friday".
Yes! Getting her playing golf is working. The things I was supposed to do around the house were just postponed... :egyptian:

:bulgy-eyes: :confused2:

Glad to hear that the red improved on what was honestly already pretty darn good results.

Bad news: I couldn't make it out, not even to the range, last weekend.

Good news: My wife called as she was arriving before her twilight league (much more flexible work hours than I have). "Hey, you have a tournament Saturday. We can't get a round in but we'll need to go to the range tomorrow night and Friday".
Yes! Getting her playing golf is working. The things I was supposed to do around the house were just postponed... :egyptian:

That’s great to hear that you and the Mrs are getting out.

I think the lighter shaft just gave me even more confidence, I am going to embrace the launch

My fellow #StaffProto guys, are you still using your cortex or have moved onto something new?

My fellow #StaffProto guys, are you still using your cortex or have moved onto something new?

As one of the #StaffProto guys, the Cortex is not in my bag. I don't know what my problem is but multiple shaft changes, weight moves, and hosel adjustments have not produced consistent drives for me.

So I went back to my old driver, but recently purchased a new one.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

My Cortex is in its rightful spot at the top of the bag.

Now that the weather is finally better I should be able to get out and play. This last winter has given me a greater appreciation for what most THPers go through every year. Edit to read no more sunny and warm here comments when snow pictures are posted. (with the possible exception of Ohiotopia)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

As one of the #StaffProto guys, the Cortex is not in my bag. I don't know what my problem is but multiple shaft changes, weight moves, and hosel adjustments have not produced consistent drives for me.

So I went back to my old driver, but recently purchased a new one.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

You know how golf clubs are sometimes they just don’t work for us. I have had clubs before that I really wanted to work but just did not work out for me.

Hopefully your new driver works great for you

You know how golf clubs are sometimes they just don’t work for us. I have had clubs before that I really wanted to work but just did not work out for me.

Hopefully your new driver works great for you

My new driver is working great. Actually hitting more fairways than my old driver.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I had my first full round of the season yesterday, and to say that I knocked some rust off would be putting it nicely. I had a few great drives with the Cortex but a few more duck hooks. Good news is that it definitely wasn’t the club. For the first 9 holes I was hooking & pulling everything except for my putter. Back 9 I calmed down, and things got better. I’m switching back to the Blue Stiff Atmos from the UST ProForce XX that I was experimenting with, because the ProForce makes me want to swing out of my shoes and then bad things start to happen.

Still rolling with the Cortex! It's been amazing and really helped lower the scores on my game. I'm still sour about not getting a blue shaft from Wilson LOL. But I am thoroughly enjoying the Cortex and constantly finding the fairway, that'll never get old.

Anyone got a blue laying around? $$$

It's still in the bag for me as well. Getting the itch to try a different shaft in it besides the Rogue and NV that I'd been using.

It's still in the bag for me as well. Getting the itch to try a different shaft in it besides the Rogue and NV that I'd been using.

The Cortex plus the Arnie follow-thru makes ddec a driving machine.

During our league tournament on the 20th I didn’t miss a fairway. To be fair, I did nestle a few up against the left rough when my OTT swing raised its ugly head but they still were in the short grass.

I have been pretty consistent with the length of my drives based on math (length of hole minus distance remaining). Our next tournament is this Saturday (4th). I plan on using an app on my phone to track my drives so I can provide the actual distances. Spoiler alert: I’m a #ShortKnocker

A small data point. This last Friday-Sunday was our local demo days (200 vendors) and during my time there Saturday the W/S tent was consistently busy. The feedback from the people I asked that were hitting the Cortex was positive.

Played Sunday and kept the red regular in the cortex and it worked very well again.
When it dries out I am going try the red and blue on the course. Roll out should be better with the blue but while it’s wet I am loving the launch of the red

I’m having some driver woes right now. Just can’t get comfortable over the ball currently. Not the driver as once I do find a comfy spot, the thing bombs. Just need to take a step away for a week or two.

Played 18 yesterday at my favorite course in NE OH, “The CC” and only missed one fairway. The Cortex was on fire! My partners actually grabbed it after my 3rd tee shot and joked that it must be an illegal driver. One guy who just purchased a driver with screws in the face, hit it and was having buyers remorse. It’s a great confidence booster to consistently be the longest and straightest in your group all day!

Played 18 yesterday at my favorite course in NE OH, “The CC” and only missed one fairway. The Cortex was on fire! My partners actually grabbed it after my 3rd tee shot and joked that it must be an illegal driver. One guy who just purchased a driver with screws in the face, hit it and was having buyers remorse. It’s a great confidence booster to consistently be the longest and straightest in your group all day!

Awesome course...played it before...amazing condition

I’ve had mine out on the course and the range this week with 3 different shafts that work well in other drivers that I own. The Cortex is very straight but is consistently 8-10 yards shorter that my Epic SZ. I haven’t had it on a Trackman but I’m guessing it’s spinning more, even with the weight all the way forward.

I’ve had mine out on the course and the range this week with 3 different shafts that work well in other drivers that I own. The Cortex is very straight but is consistently 8-10 yards shorter that my Epic SZ. I haven’t had it on a Trackman but I’m guessing it’s spinning more, even with the weight all the way forward.

Could be the spin, but I would guess it’s more launch related. From what I recall the epic was certainly a lowish spinning higher launch head while the cortex (for me at least) is a medium launching and reasonably low launching head.

Obviously depends on the player haha

Back