Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

I know you would hammer cortex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

let's be honest, I hammer everything haha

I am just looking forward to tonight. You guys who have attended this event have done quite a bit to provide some early feedback.

let's be honest, I hammer everything haha

I am just looking forward to tonight. You guys who have attended this event have done quite a bit to provide some early feedback.

I am pumped to watch tonight.

Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

After a weekend with both the Cortex and Rozwell, without question I preferred the Cortex. The clear differentiator for me was tighter dispersion and a little higher trajectory. My Epic gives me a fade when I swing easy, and slice when I try to swing hard. At first I noticed the exact same thing in the Cortex with neutral weighting on the range. I didn’t plan to change anything as it was similar to what I’m used to, so I liked it. I was skeptical that moving the weights would do anything because I never saw big changes in moving my Epic weight (it’s the Indian) but I decided to move the 8g into the heel. I was shocked. I took a few normal easy swings and everything was going dead straight. I swung hard at a few and they kept going straight. Not sure how much of this was a product of the Fuji Atmos Tour Spec Blue Stiff shaft, but the combo of the two were fantastic! I have hit a few other drivers (JGR) that have eliminated my fade but they all seemed to set up very closed, the Cortex looks great (neutral) at address! It was hard to get a read on distance because we were on an unfamiliar course and I wasn’t hitting side by side with my Epic, but from rough yardages I didn’t notice any major differences. However, the Rozwell seemed a bit longer when I really connected, but had a slightly lower trajectory on most shots.
I am praying that the Cortex pulls off a W this evening because I seriously fell in love with it.

...as I didn't think they produced a good looking club at all...

No question both of these outperform the Triton in the looks department.

After a weekend with both the Cortex and Rozwell, without question I preferred the Cortex. The clear differentiator for me was tighter dispersion and a little higher trajectory. My Epic gives me a fade when I swing easy, and slice when I try to swing hard. At first I noticed the exact same thing in the Cortex with neutral weighting on the range. I didn’t plan to change anything as it was similar to what I’m used to, so I liked it. I was skeptical that moving the weights would do anything because I never saw big changes in moving my Epic weight (it’s the Indian) but I decided to move the 8g into the heel. I was shocked. I took a few normal easy swings and everything was going dead straight. I swung hard at a few and they kept going straight. Not sure how much of this was a product of the Fuji Atmos Tour Spec Blue Stiff shaft, but the combo of the two were fantastic! I have hit a few other drivers (JGR) that have eliminated my fade but they all seemed to set up very closed, the Cortex looks great (neutral) at address! It was hard to get a read on distance because we were on an unfamiliar course and I wasn’t hitting side by side with my Epic, but from rough yardages I didn’t notice any major differences. However, the Rozwell seemed a bit longer when I really connected, but had a slightly lower trajectory on most shots.
I am praying that the Cortex pulls off a W this evening because I seriously fell in love with it.

Honestly, I love that some of you guys are rooting hard for one or the other tonight, pretty freaking cool IMO.

Honestly, I love that some of you guys are rooting hard for one or the other tonight, pretty freaking cool IMO.

I am rooting hard for cortex. That’s purely a selfish reason as it was just perfect for me.

It's a TaylorMade M1.5 with a one-tone crown

not that that's a bad thing, mind you

It is nothing like the M1. Where did that idea come from?

I do understand your comparison, however, they are night and day different!

I don't know anything about the technology in the TM, and I probably couldn't tell a good story about the technology in the Cortex either but we all had a conversation with Rich about the engineering and testing of the Cortex. Bottom line, the Cortex works.

Like someone mentioned above, we've all had adjustable drivers that haven't given solid/believable feedback after adjustments. That just isn't the case with the Cortex. Here, put the 8g weight in the toe position and you're neutral, in the heal and it's draw bias; TRUE! The results speak for themselves. At one time I did own an M1, and I did not get the ball flight feedback I did get from the Cortex.

Last edited:
My initial thoughts on the Cortex:

Ever have one of those days where your swing is just a bit off and the harder you try to “force it” the worse it becomes? Yep, that was me on Saturday. I can say that the torture test of the bottom half of the driver, by that I mean the bottom quarter of the face and the first quarter of the sole, went extremely well. :embarrassed:

When I swung the Cortex properly, I saw very good results. The ball flight was straight or with a slight draw and with my normal 200ish yard carry. As I mentioned earlier, I wasn’t swinging particularly well and I found the forgiveness to be better than I expected/deserved. Of the two, I preferred the sound of the Cortex which to me was a touch deeper in tone than the Roswell.

Regardless of which driver is selected tonight, they are both great drivers that I will be happy to game.

Really good feedback so far guys, you’ve got me pretty excited about this one to the point that I kind of hope it wins tonight. I originally was pulling for the Roswell because I thought the technology was extremely cool, but it sounds like this thing flat out performs and I’d love to be able to give it a shot.

I agree with Sposey that it’s nothing like an M1. It has movable weights and carbon fiber to reduce weight but what driver doesn’t?

It is nothing like the M1. Where did that idea come from?

because I think it looks like the M1 and M2 had a baby

and I don't think that's a bad thing, the golf world is full of derivative work (good ideas are good ideas)

I do understand your comparison, however, they are night and day different!

I don't know anything about the technology in the TM, and I probably couldn't tell a good story about the technology in the Cortex either but we all had a conversation with Rich about the engineering and testing of the Cortex. Bottom line, the Cortex works.

Like someone mentioned above, we've all had adjustable drivers that haven't given solid/believable feedback after adjustments. That just isn't the case with the Cortex. Here, put the 8g weight in the toe position and you're neutral, in the heal and it's draw bias; TRUE! The results speak for themselves. At one time I did own an M1, and I did not get the ball flight feedback I did get from the Cortex.

Interesting on the M1 results as the adjustable weights are heavier than the Cortex.

Really good feedback so far guys, you’ve got me pretty excited about this one to the point that I kind of hope it wins tonight. I originally was pulling for the Roswell because I thought the technology was extremely cool, but it sounds like this thing flat out performs and I’d love to be able to give it a shot.
The tech is cool in both drivers, it's just more visible in the Roswell. Having hit both, I will honestly be happy with either one. The both are really that good.

Interesting on the M1 results as the adjustable weights are heavier than the Cortex.

The bias weight track was toward the face on the M1 and didn’t really do much, which is why they moved to the Y track in the M3 where you could put the weight back and left or right. Which is more along the lines of the weight placement of the Cortex and much more effective. So those results don’t really surprise me when comparing it to the M1.

because I think it looks like the M1 and M2 had a baby

and I don't think that's a bad thing, the golf world is full of derivative work (good ideas are good ideas)

It did not look like that to me

The bias weight track was toward the face on the M1 and didn’t really do much, which is why they moved to the Y track in the M3 where you could put the weight back and left or right. Which is more along the lines of the weight placement of the Cortex and much more effective. So those results don’t really surprise me when comparing it to the M1.

This makes sense as I also had a ‘16 M1 and didn’t see anywhere near the results that I saw when moving the Cortex draw bias weights.

I think it is really cool to see how much passion the event participants have for Wilson's products. That is telling.

Let me start off by saying Sposey's giggles while he was hitting the Cortex will forever be echoed in my brain haha. I don't think I've ever heard anyone that giddy over a driver and I don't blame him! I was just as excited as he was after a few swings. Wilson has really done something here with both drivers. I'll stick to describing the Cortex but major kudos to Wilson for designing & building two outstanding drivers.

My first few swings I had the 8 weight on the toe and 2 on the heel with the middle weight all the way to the back. I'm also playing the red atmos 5rs shaft so I'm expecting to launch it pretty high. I was finding it was getting some great distance, I'd guess 245-255yds (~90ish swing speed) but the flight was almost like a push slice. I'd definitely hit it OB on this course with that sort of flight. Sposey had suggested flipping the weights and moving the center weight to the middle. The changes were money, I was hitting a consistent baby fade that had some great roll. I was definitely moving it farther after changing the draw bias. On my mishits I'd find I would still gain good distance and the push slice wasn't as exaggerated, I'd probably still find the rough at least rather than OB. I was fortunate to have around an hour or so to dial in the driver and take around 25-30 swings before the Saturday round.

I've been playing golf around 7 years and I've probably played with 3-4 drivers so it's not something I change very often. If I were to hit the Cortex in PGA SS or some demo day with the results I had it would instantly be in my bag. The Atmos shaft pairs up nicely with it too. The feel really gave me some confidence to put a little more on it when swinging. I was a bit worried about how I would play with a spanking new driver in my bag but after a few swings I really felt comfortable with it. Driver has never been my strength which is why I paired up nicely with Lindsey since she can bomb it so I really appreciate the new confidence with the Cortex.

On looks, it's a sexy beast. Much sexier than the Roswell. In fact, I would say it's Wilson's sexiest driver to date. The Triton was a cool concept and did perform but looks were eehhhh. The carbon fiber crown with like a smoked look is badass. They ditched the centering logo on the crown and it gave it a super clean look. I gotta have the looks with the tech and this driver does it for me!

Yeah! TC thinks the Cortex was UNBELIEVABLE!

holy crap golf channel. did you really just spill the beans with that revolution golf graphic???? lol

A pop up just said that Cortex is the winner!

holy crap golf channel. did you really just spill the beans with that revolution golf graphic???? lol

I saw it too. What a buzz kill. LOL.

Back