Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

Our league tournament was at Poppy Ridge (Livermore) last weekend.

Third tournament in a row that I was in the fairway off the tee every time with my Cortex. Placed second in my flight again and I have no doubt that taking my second shots from the short stuff had a lot to do with it.

Cortex settings: 10.5°, sliding weight 1/4 from front.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have the same result with my Wilson driver. They should market towards the fact that you keep it in play.And its plenty long.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record. August league tournament (Morgan Creek) I was in the fairway every time with the Cortex. Unfortunately, I ended up 2 shots back and tied for third in my flight.

The fairways are still pretty firm so I'm keeping the settings at 10.5°, neutral, and with the sliding weight 1/4 from the front.

If you're in the market, I would recommend that you at least demo the Cortex. It's definitely a great driver for the money.

I saw that the Cortex has been marked down to $250. That's a pretty good deal considering the stock shaft.

radiman;n8907471 said:
I saw that the Cortex has been marked down to $250. That's a pretty good deal considering the stock shaft.

I love the head...Literally can't stand the shaft.

JB;n8907480 said:
I love the head...Literally can't stand the shaft.

The head is gorgeous. Love the deep face and classic shape.

They kind of had to get this thing marked down with the other Chicago company, TEE kicking butt with their driver. Cortex is a good club but it started too high for me.

got a chance to hit this last week when I saw they're half price now at PGA Store. Loved the feel and could have easily seen myself gaming it all year had I tried it earlier. Not the longest driver for me but very accurate!!!! and WOW do the movable weights make a huge difference!!

Fast forward to today, with the budget golf discount, picked this up for $212! Good deal

got a chance to hit this last week when I saw they're half price now at PGA Store. Loved the feel and could have easily seen myself gaming it all year had I tried it earlier. Not the longest driver for me but very accurate!!!! and WOW do the movable weights make a huge difference!!

Fast forward to today, with the budget golf discount, picked this up for $212! Good deal

Nice. Once I dropped a UST Helium in this it came alive for me.

glad to hear it. Kind of a no brainer for the price! The tour spec black is something ive been fit for before. Hell, MSRP for that shaft is more than what I just paid.

Curious what the Lin-Q would do in that head!

Last edited:
It really is a good had. I need to get some adapters and throw it head to head with my recently aquired Flash.

Funny to see this one bump up again, I’m giving mine to one of my sophomores to play, might as well since he’s using a junky driver, has talent, and this is just sitting.

This is still one of my favorite drivers. With the prices on them now you can’t wrong with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is still one of my favorite drivers. With the prices on them now you can’t wrong with this one.

Exactly why I pulled the trigger on it! I loved what I saw when I hit in indoors last week...worst comes to worst if the head doesn't work out, I know the shaft is something ive been fit previously for

I'm still finding fairways with mine. Closer to the tee than @sposey013168 I'm sure. But fairways nonetheless. :)

after 2 range sessions with this I finally got to bring it on the course yesterday. Hit 11 of 14 fairways!

I played by myself and was able to hit head to head vs the M5 on a few holes. The Cortex was every bit as good, if not better, than the M5. I prefer the sound of the M5 way more, but I love how the Cortex looks behind the ball (minus the glossy head). The few holes I got to hit both drivers on they were consistently within 5 yards of each other... On 18 there was nobody around so I hit 6 balls off the tee (3 with each).... The M5 had 2 balls in the fairway and 1 just barely off and averaged 291 yards. The Cortex I hooked one out of bounds. One in the fairway at 288. and the last one..... 325 right down the middle!

Even in the neutral setting ive found the Cortex to be much more draw biased for me. The M5 I do have it set up in the fade setting but its a flat, straight flight for me. Very very minimum fade right with the M5.... The Cortex I only lost once to the right on a bad, open faced strike. Otherwise it consistently had a nice draw to it in the neutral setting

Good feedback dude!

Good feedback dude!

thanks dude. I know im late to the party on this, but this is seriously one damn good driver!!!! and for under $250 with discount codes its well worth the money!

thanks dude. I know im late to the party on this, but this is seriously one damn good driver!!!! and for under $250 with discount codes its well worth the money!
I think it’s the best app around driver they’ve put out. Plus, the adjustability works silly well.

Got some numbers on the cortex vs m5 yesterday and basically sums up what I expected... every bit as good as anything out there. I think what stands out most is the distance dispersion of the cortex. All drives within 10 yards total distance wise.

ca59b8a401334b433ed40bcbc819aae9.jpg

Last edited:
I went to my local range the other day to demo the TEE EXS driver and the guy behind the counter convinced me to also try the Wilson Cortex. To be honest I never considered the Cortex as I always thought of it as a "made for tv gimmick" for lack of a better term.
Although I only hit about 15 balls with the Cortex I was very surprised by the performance. Granted there was a strong wind in my face, it still seemed like I was getting very positive results; distance and forgiveness. Pro shop had them priced at $199. I plan on going back this weekend on a calmer day to give it another go. Hoping they have the Atmos Blue Tour Spec shaft as a demo option; the one I demoed was the Red Tour Spec.

THP got me again - I'm a weak weak man. I just ordered one from BG... it's such a good price. One day I'll get smart and actually get fit for a driver.

Last Saturday was the first half of the league championship (Mather). Like clockwork, I was in the fairway every time with my Cortex. Unfortunately, my short game demons tried to sneak back into my head on a couple of holes which jacked up my score.:beat-up:

Keeping the center weight 3/4 forward was the right call since the fairways were very firm. I'm not a particularly long hitter. However, with the roll I was getting I stayed with the group and capitalized on their errors on several occasions.

The second half will be played at Alister McKenzie next month. Unless there's a drastic change in the weather I will leave the weights alone.

If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Bit late in posting this. :oops:

During last month's final half of our league tournament at Alister MacKenzie my OTT swing kicked my behind. Fortunately, the golf gods took pity on me and 4 of the 5 shots that should have missed the fairway hit trees, markers, and unknown objects and bounced back into the fairway. Thankfully, my putting made up for most of it.

The "Turkey Shoot", our league's last round of the year, is a 4 man scramble that we're playing on Monday. Even though we are still in the 80's during the day the fairways have lost the summer hardpan roll. Therefore, I have moved the center weight to the rear 3/4 position for a bit of extra carry.

I'll post up my results. Hope everyone has a great Veterans Day weekend.

Like JB I could'nt stand the feel of the shaft. Love the look of the head. Really bad shaft choice by the folks at W/S

Back