Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

Like JB I could'nt stand the feel of the shaft. Love the look of the head. Really bad shaft choice by the folks at W/S

It was the flavor of the year shaft. Atmos was the stock in the TM and Cobra drivers as well.

Black Friday deals got the best of me and near max depreciation has set in with the Cortex. Found a used one with Atmos Black for $140.

Love the look of this head and the forgiveness and accuracy everyone talks about.

Black Friday deals got the best of me and near max depreciation has set in with the Cortex. Found a used one with Atmos Black for $140.

Love the look of this head and the forgiveness and accuracy everyone talks about.
For $140, that's a hell of a deal. I've seen them on Ebay for around that and have considered pulling the trigger just to give it a whirl.

For $140, that's a hell of a deal. I've seen them on Ebay for around that and have considered pulling the trigger just to give it a whirl.
It's almost too cheap not to try at that price. Such a good looking head with lots of adjustability and by most accounts really good performance and forgiveness. Worst case you can sell it for within $20 of what you paid in the next few months.

It's almost too cheap not to try at that price. Such a good looking head with lots of adjustability and by most accounts really good performance and forgiveness. Worst case you can sell it for within $20 of what you paid in the next few months.
I think the shaft alone is worth that price. Plus, it is a good looking head as you said.

Nice. Once I dropped a UST Helium in this it came alive for me.
Thats what I play in mine. made all the difference vs the stock atmos

Just picked up a Cortex today with the Hzrdus 6.0 in it. Hit it really well on the sim...hope that translates to the golf course. Going tomorrow so we will see. Feels really nice and center strike is like a sledge hammer

Just picked up a Cortex today with the Hzrdus 6.0 in it. Hit it really well on the sim...hope that translates to the golf course. Going tomorrow so we will see. Feels really nice and center strike is like a sledge hammer

The head on the cortex was extremely heavy. Thats partly why the stock length was 45 compared to most other at almost 46 these day.

The Cortex I ordered is set to be delivered tomorrow. Really looking forward to giving it a workout this weekend. I don't need it to be the longest, but I'm hoping it's accurate.

Thats what I play in mine. made all the difference vs the stock atmos
At the risk of being off topic, can you explain what the UST Helium improves on vs the ATMOS?

The Cortex I ordered is set to be delivered tomorrow. Really looking forward to giving it a workout this weekend. I don't need it to be the longest, but I'm hoping it's accurate.
I've found the Cortex to be pretty much a fairway finder, even at times when I didn't deserve it to be.

At the risk of being off topic, can you explain what the UST Helium improves on vs the ATMOS?

I've found the Cortex to be pretty much a fairway finder, even at times when I didn't deserve it to be.

for me personally it feels much more stable when going at it without being a stiff board. Launch was better than the red or blue that I tried.

Helium is going to be a higher launch overall, but the nice thing is it doesn’t sacrifice stability even in its super light build/design.

Helium is just a hell of a shaft.

for me personally it feels much more stable when going at it without being a stiff board. Launch was better than the red or blue that I tried.

Helium is going to be a higher launch overall, but the nice thing is it doesn’t sacrifice stability even in its super light build/design.

Helium is just a hell of a shaft.

Both nailed with it what I would have thought.... stability

Both nailed with it what I would have thought.... stability

I love it. The light weight allows me to swing a little fast, it’s stable through the swing, and the flight really helps my lowish ball.

Cortex arrived just before I was about to leave for a quick 9 of winter golf. It went straight from the box to my bag.

It's hard to say how it was distance wise because it was 35 degrees out and a course I usually don't play. Didn't seem to be a slouch though. The Atmos Black shaft seemed to perform well and was a fairly accurate combo. I need some range time to dial in the driver settings but this was a promising start. I also enjoyed the sound more than I was expecting. It was a nice combo of carbon and metallic that wasn't too muted.

This thing is a true sledgehammer. Came in at D8 when I put it on the scale...I like it.

Cortex is now $199.99 on the Wilson/Staff website!

Had a chance to put the Cortex head to head vs. my XR16 at the Top Tracer range. I had 2 shafts to use with the XR16 and also went through the full range of adjustments trying to optimize the Cortex. Best flight, carry and consistency was with the 9* head set to 11*, heavy weight in the toe and slider 3/4 back. The adjustments have a real effect on flight.

With this setup it was producing a very straight, mid/high, but piercing flight with minimal draw, 12* launch, 90 ft peak height. It was amazing how this setup with the Atmos Black pretty much eliminated the left miss.

XR16 produced the same peak ball speed, launch and height, but had way worse dispersion with a big left tendency. For that reason the Cortex was the clear winner

I play a W/S Triton. Will the shaft thats in it fit into a Cortex without any changes to the sleeve.

Yes. Same adapter

I play a W/S Triton. Will the shaft thats in it fit into a Cortex without any changes to the sleeve.

Yes it’s the same adaptor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything about this driver sounds fantastic. Have any of you pulled an adapter and do they stay intact? Where is the best place to buy additional W/S adapters? Thanks.

Everything about this driver sounds fantastic. Have any of you pulled an adapter and do they stay intact? Where is the best place to buy additional W/S adapters? Thanks.

Mine didnt, but I wasn’t trying too hard. I just hated that Atmos shaft.

Back