Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Seems that everyone is loving these irons. I thought that I was only W/S fan, these are my first set of irons and I though that they were too good to be true from the price I paid for them. I did get mine at the end of year run out period, but I think I did the right thing.

How much difference is there to the Di9's?

To me there is a pretty big difference. Normally its not a huge evolution between years, but Wilson really made some big changes between the 9s and the 11s. I get more forgiveness, more distance, better ball flight and even a slightly better impact sound/feel in the 11s compared to the 9s.

I only got my 9's in January so I think I will stick with these until I get a bit better.\

JB, do you think that these are good set of irons for a beginner?, when I got mine I got them from a golf chain store and knew little about clubs and these were suggested to me after having swing speed anaylsis etc.

I think the 9s are quite good.

Alright. Well I got out today for 18 and it was just about perfect conditions. 75 with just little gusts of wind. I felt really good after yesterdays range session so I was confident heading out to the course

1—358—Mashie time right down the middle. God I feel like I’m cheating when I get to hit this club. Left with 115 I hit a ¾ GW to about 10 feet. 2 putt for a 4

2—462—Wind in our face and I pull the R11 for it’s maiden voyage. Man does this club feel heavy. Hit a solid drive right down the middle but this club is off. I do think there is something up with it. 215 left and I hit Mashie to about 10 yards in front. LW to about 8 feet but leave myself with a terrible side hill putt. Miss it and tap in for a 5.

3—401—Drive goes a little right but it’s just off the fairway. I’m in a funky lie(think it’s a partially filled old divot) so I’m going to try a punch 8 iron. Ball comes off a little right but perfect distance. Very happy with that shot as I kept it low like I wanted and got very nice contact. Hit LW to 5 feet and of course miss the putt for 5.

4—167—First time I am playing this hole with no wind. Pull 7 iron and take a full swing. Hit it pretty poorly off the toe and look up expecting a nasty little pull hook. Instead what I see is a nice shot that is heading toward the green but lands just short. I was amazed at how nicely that ball flew. I mean I was no where near the sweet spot. Even the guys I was playing with said it sounded like I missed the ball badly. I will take that forgiveness all day over workability. Hit my chip a little long because the green was very wet below the hole and I didn’t want to putt in it. Just missed the first putt and tap in for 4

5—496—Cannot hit driver on this hole because of a pond in the middle about 250 out. Take Mashie and once again hit an amazing sho…No I can’t lie. Pull hooked it badly into some trees left. Terrible shot. I did have an opening though and wanted to give the Mashie another shot. This time I hit a very nice hook around the trees in front of me and end up 140 yards out dead center of the fairway. I love my Mashie. Wind was blowing badly on this hole in our face. Pin was in back so decided on ¾ 8 again and hit the shot I visualized. 8 iron is quickly becoming my favorite club in the bag. Leave myself 10 feet for bird but it’s a tough downhill left to righter. Miss it and the ball rolls about 5 feet past. Manage to sneak that one in for 5.

6—148—Been hitting the 8 great so far and decide to hit it again. Little downhill par 3 with water in front. Hit my shot and once again that terrible sound of hitting it off the toe badly. Once again I look up to see a beautiful looking shot. Ball lands 8 feet from the hole. I can actually see the ball mark on this one and it’s not even on the hitting area. So far out on the toe I’m almost lucky I even hit the ball. These clubs are packed with forgiveness. Just miss the first putt and tap in for 3

7—409—Tough hole for me with my draw. Water left and water long in the driver area. Pull Mashie and hit a very nice draw that is right in the middle of the fairway. 160 out and pull 7 iron. Push it a little right which left a nasty little pitch shot over some mounds and a little short sided. Hit a nice pitch to about 5 feet and make the putt for 4

8—155—Water front and left. Right has a nice bailout area with a hill that if hit correctly will let the ball dribble onto the green. Play a nice low draw with my 6 iron and leave myself 15 feet. Just singe the left edge and tap in for 3

9—348—OB right but left is safe with no trees. Hit a nice drive that just ends up on the left edge of the fairway. ¾ GW to about 4 feet and of course miss the putt for a tap in 4

So far so good. In fact it has been pretty easy. I’m not hitting driver well but my irons are saving me. If I could putt I would have shot par pretty easy on the front 9. Low shots are no longer a problem with the Di11’s. I feel like I can hit any shot with these irons. Heck I feel like I can barely hit the face and still get a good shot off. These clubs give me a ton of confidence in that I don’t feel like I need to be playing my best in order to shoot a good round. The back 9 is about to teach me that I need to control my emotions a little better before I can think about shooting 70’s though.

10—441—Very short par 5 but the tee shot is all uphill. Hit a decent drive to the right edge of the fairway and left with 210 to the hole. This is kind of a grey area for me right now. 4 iron is just a little short and Mashie is a little long. Decide short is better so I hit 4 iron. Leave myself about a 25 yard LW and I proceed to chunk it. Go with a low PW and this time hit it to about 5 feet. Of course miss the putt and tap in for 6. Put the flag in the hole and start walking off the green. I’m about 2 paces off the green when out of nowhere a ball hits the green. I look behind me and there is a 2some there. No fore. No acknowledgement that he was sorry. I mean he must have hit the shot a second after I put the flag in the hole. We were right up the butts of the people we were behind and this was the first I saw of these 2 so they could not have been frustrated with us or anything. I was fuming but just walked to the next tee as I hate confrontation.

11—396—Tough little hole that slopes right. Hit a decent drive up the left edge of the fairway and it rolls down to the middle of the fairway. Left with about 130 I decide to go with ¾ 9 iron. Ball lands about 20 yards to the right of me. I look back and the …….. are teeing off. Step up to hit my shot. Take a practice swing and just as I’m in my backswing ball lands about 10 feet behind me. I shank the shot dead right into the woods. I’m beyond pissed right now and in that area of just seeing red. Find my ball and chunk it out and quite honestly can’t remember the rest of the hole. Carded a 7 with 2 putts. I was walking and the 2 guys I was playing with were in a cart. They went back and confronted the 2 guys. The one guy who has now almost hit me twice says I was off the green when he hit the first time and that he didn’t see me the second time. BS both times. I am livid at this point and I can’t calm myself down

12—163—Hit a terrible push right. I can’t concentrate. I would never hit up on someone and I can’t stand people who have no idea about etiquette. Guy was a good golfer too so it’s not like he had not played before. He just didn’t give a crap which in my eyes made it worse and why I was so pissed off. Left with a LW to a green sloping completely away from me. Hit a great shot to about 4 feet and miss the putt. I will take the 4 gladly after the tee shot.

13—339—Short par 4 with tree in the middle and right in front of the green. Hit a nice drive out to the right but leave myself with a little tree trouble. Take SW and hit a low punch that drops and stops middle of the green. 2 putt for par and I feel like I have calmed myself.

14—366—Uphill par4. Hit drive straight right onto the other fairway. Left with a tough shot that has an opening in some trees but the trees were pretty far away which makes it a little bit tougher. I hit a nice low 4 iron right through the opening. This shot felt great as I had not been hitting the long irons well at all. Hit this one very solid and it faded just like I wanted it to. Leave myself about 30 yards and I hit a nice pitch LW to about 15 feet. Miss the putt and walk off with a 5

15—293--My favorite hole. Dogleg left which sets up perfectly for my draw. Hit a great Mashie right in the middle of the fairway. 9:00 SW leaves me with 12 feet. Singe the right of the hole and tap in for 4

16—300—Love the way this hole sets up for Mashie. Just suits my eye off the tee box. Hit a solid Mashie right in the middle of the fairway. Leave myself with 70 yards. Hate the way this shot looks from the fairway. Bunkers in front and water left and long. Just don’t like this shot. Hit it fat but on the front of the green. Terrible lag putt leaves 4 feet. Miss the 4 footer for 5. Walking off the green ball goes rolling past us. Once you guys see me in person you will see why I don’t at this point run up to these blankitty blanks and deck them. I am now just wanting to get off the course as I am beyond angry at this point.

17—134--Easy up hill par 3. Wind in our face and I hit a ¾ 8 iron to about 15 feet. Nice lag putt and tap in for 3. Kind of don’t remember this hole

18—490—Nice finishing par5. Fairway slopes left so a drive up the right will roll back to the fairway. I hit mine too far left and through some trees. There is a tiny opening but it is about 40 yards up. Very tough shot that I don’t pull off. Hit the tree and I get a lucky kick out to the fairway but left with 195 to the green with water in front. Hit a 5 iron and should have hit 4. Shot comes off to the right and lands in the creek. At this point I’m just livid and I finish out the hole with a chunk or 2 and some putts. I card a 9 and feel like I want to punch someone.

Overall the round was solid. Had 2 horrible holes but that was pretty much it. Irons were fantastic all day. There is no shot I can’t hit with these. Needed a low fade and I was able to hit one. Need to take a little off and punch it low is no problem. Heck barely hit the face and you will still get a nice shot. I feel like these irons are just about perfect. Honestly I don’t think I’ve ever just picked up new clubs and immediately played well with them. Best first 4 rounds I have ever played with new sticks. Very nice sole grind on these as well. I don’t know about the other testers but I am definitely a digger of the ball. I take huge divots. Well the sole on these will tend to bounce instead of dig and it allows me to take my swing and still get good shots even if I come in too steep. Gotta go to work but just wanted to share a great but intensely frustrating round.

Awesome update CL! I love the recaps man, I really do. Makes me feel like I'm sharing a golf cart with you.

Based on everything you guys are writing, I would be foolish not to hit these irons at the demo day (thanks cool!).

Again, well done, keep the good scores coming.

Great reviews guys, i know i've said that a bunch but, all of you are doing such a great job i dont think it cant be said too many times. If i did work for W/S i would be tickeled pink at how well you all are representing the brand.

I will be in nashville tomorrow and, Edwin Watts has these bad boys in stock now. I just scheduled a demo session with the Di11's as well as the FG Tour wedges, DXI driver, DXI woods, and the DXI hybrids. There is no telling what i will end up with, i can wait :rockon: .

Great reviews guys, i know i've said that a bunch but, all of you are doing such a great job i dont think it cant be said too many times. If i did work for W/S i would be tickeled pink at how well you all are representing the brand.

I will be in nashville tomorrow and, Edwin Watts has these bad boys in stock now. I just scheduled a demo session with the Di11's as well as the FG Tour wedges, DXI driver, DXI woods, and the DXI hybrids. There is no telling what i will end up with, i can wait :rockon: .

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, after you hit all that good stuff.

If I were looking for irons based on these reviews they would definitely be high on my list to try. (Great reviews by the testers, well done) The price for these is also very appealing.

Di11's in the house! So glad I left work early. Pictures taken and will be coming up after a quick range session.

Tapatalk: even for walkers

Di11's in the house! So glad I left work early. Pictures taken and will be coming up after a quick range session.

Nice! Can't wait to see them.

Great man, can't wait to hear what you think of them

Awesome. Too bad it wasn't a day earlier. Looking forward to your testing

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Awesome buddy, can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Finally the foursome is complete!!

Great stuff guys. Coolbreeze, really like the comparison you wrote up - thx for that.

& we were also surprised at the price point. Looking forward to reading more reviews.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, OEM. Glad that they made it to Casa de OEM.

Great review Chunky...I love hole by hole reviews. What is the iron you have felt most comfortable with throughout your rounds? Does it differ from your "other" irons.

Alright. Well I got out today for 18 and it was just about perfect conditions. 75 with just little gusts of wind. I felt really good after yesterdays range session so I was confident heading out to the course

1—358—Mashie time right down the middle. God I feel like I’m cheating when I get to hit this club. Left with 115 I hit a ¾ GW to about 10 feet. 2 putt for a 4

2—462—Wind in our face and I pull the R11 for it’s maiden voyage. Man does this club feel heavy. Hit a solid drive right down the middle but this club is off. I do think there is something up with it. 215 left and I hit Mashie to about 10 yards in front. LW to about 8 feet but leave myself with a terrible side hill putt. Miss it and tap in for a 5.

3—401—Drive goes a little right but it’s just off the fairway. I’m in a funky lie(think it’s a partially filled old divot) so I’m going to try a punch 8 iron. Ball comes off a little right but perfect distance. Very happy with that shot as I kept it low like I wanted and got very nice contact. Hit LW to 5 feet and of course miss the putt for 5.

4—167—First time I am playing this hole with no wind. Pull 7 iron and take a full swing. Hit it pretty poorly off the toe and look up expecting a nasty little pull hook. Instead what I see is a nice shot that is heading toward the green but lands just short. I was amazed at how nicely that ball flew. I mean I was no where near the sweet spot. Even the guys I was playing with said it sounded like I missed the ball badly. I will take that forgiveness all day over workability. Hit my chip a little long because the green was very wet below the hole and I didn’t want to putt in it. Just missed the first putt and tap in for 4

5—496—Cannot hit driver on this hole because of a pond in the middle about 250 out. Take Mashie and once again hit an amazing sho…No I can’t lie. Pull hooked it badly into some trees left. Terrible shot. I did have an opening though and wanted to give the Mashie another shot. This time I hit a very nice hook around the trees in front of me and end up 140 yards out dead center of the fairway. I love my Mashie. Wind was blowing badly on this hole in our face. Pin was in back so decided on ¾ 8 again and hit the shot I visualized. 8 iron is quickly becoming my favorite club in the bag. Leave myself 10 feet for bird but it’s a tough downhill left to righter. Miss it and the ball rolls about 5 feet past. Manage to sneak that one in for 5.

6—148—Been hitting the 8 great so far and decide to hit it again. Little downhill par 3 with water in front. Hit my shot and once again that terrible sound of hitting it off the toe badly. Once again I look up to see a beautiful looking shot. Ball lands 8 feet from the hole. I can actually see the ball mark on this one and it’s not even on the hitting area. So far out on the toe I’m almost lucky I even hit the ball. These clubs are packed with forgiveness. Just miss the first putt and tap in for 3

7—409—Tough hole for me with my draw. Water left and water long in the driver area. Pull Mashie and hit a very nice draw that is right in the middle of the fairway. 160 out and pull 7 iron. Push it a little right which left a nasty little pitch shot over some mounds and a little short sided. Hit a nice pitch to about 5 feet and make the putt for 4

8—155—Water front and left. Right has a nice bailout area with a hill that if hit correctly will let the ball dribble onto the green. Play a nice low draw with my 6 iron and leave myself 15 feet. Just singe the left edge and tap in for 3

9—348—OB right but left is safe with no trees. Hit a nice drive that just ends up on the left edge of the fairway. ¾ GW to about 4 feet and of course miss the putt for a tap in 4

So far so good. In fact it has been pretty easy. I’m not hitting driver well but my irons are saving me. If I could putt I would have shot par pretty easy on the front 9. Low shots are no longer a problem with the Di11’s. I feel like I can hit any shot with these irons. Heck I feel like I can barely hit the face and still get a good shot off. These clubs give me a ton of confidence in that I don’t feel like I need to be playing my best in order to shoot a good round. The back 9 is about to teach me that I need to control my emotions a little better before I can think about shooting 70’s though.

10—441—Very short par 5 but the tee shot is all uphill. Hit a decent drive to the right edge of the fairway and left with 210 to the hole. This is kind of a grey area for me right now. 4 iron is just a little short and Mashie is a little long. Decide short is better so I hit 4 iron. Leave myself about a 25 yard LW and I proceed to chunk it. Go with a low PW and this time hit it to about 5 feet. Of course miss the putt and tap in for 6. Put the flag in the hole and start walking off the green. I’m about 2 paces off the green when out of nowhere a ball hits the green. I look behind me and there is a 2some there. No fore. No acknowledgement that he was sorry. I mean he must have hit the shot a second after I put the flag in the hole. We were right up the butts of the people we were behind and this was the first I saw of these 2 so they could not have been frustrated with us or anything. I was fuming but just walked to the next tee as I hate confrontation.

11—396—Tough little hole that slopes right. Hit a decent drive up the left edge of the fairway and it rolls down to the middle of the fairway. Left with about 130 I decide to go with ¾ 9 iron. Ball lands about 20 yards to the right of me. I look back and the …….. are teeing off. Step up to hit my shot. Take a practice swing and just as I’m in my backswing ball lands about 10 feet behind me. I shank the shot dead right into the woods. I’m beyond pissed right now and in that area of just seeing red. Find my ball and chunk it out and quite honestly can’t remember the rest of the hole. Carded a 7 with 2 putts. I was walking and the 2 guys I was playing with were in a cart. They went back and confronted the 2 guys. The one guy who has now almost hit me twice says I was off the green when he hit the first time and that he didn’t see me the second time. BS both times. I am livid at this point and I can’t calm myself down

12—163—Hit a terrible push right. I can’t concentrate. I would never hit up on someone and I can’t stand people who have no idea about etiquette. Guy was a good golfer too so it’s not like he had not played before. He just didn’t give a crap which in my eyes made it worse and why I was so pissed off. Left with a LW to a green sloping completely away from me. Hit a great shot to about 4 feet and miss the putt. I will take the 4 gladly after the tee shot.

13—339—Short par 4 with tree in the middle and right in front of the green. Hit a nice drive out to the right but leave myself with a little tree trouble. Take SW and hit a low punch that drops and stops middle of the green. 2 putt for par and I feel like I have calmed myself.

14—366—Uphill par4. Hit drive straight right onto the other fairway. Left with a tough shot that has an opening in some trees but the trees were pretty far away which makes it a little bit tougher. I hit a nice low 4 iron right through the opening. This shot felt great as I had not been hitting the long irons well at all. Hit this one very solid and it faded just like I wanted it to. Leave myself about 30 yards and I hit a nice pitch LW to about 15 feet. Miss the putt and walk off with a 5

15—293--My favorite hole. Dogleg left which sets up perfectly for my draw. Hit a great Mashie right in the middle of the fairway. 9:00 SW leaves me with 12 feet. Singe the right of the hole and tap in for 4

16—300—Love the way this hole sets up for Mashie. Just suits my eye off the tee box. Hit a solid Mashie right in the middle of the fairway. Leave myself with 70 yards. Hate the way this shot looks from the fairway. Bunkers in front and water left and long. Just don’t like this shot. Hit it fat but on the front of the green. Terrible lag putt leaves 4 feet. Miss the 4 footer for 5. Walking off the green ball goes rolling past us. Once you guys see me in person you will see why I don’t at this point run up to these blankitty blanks and deck them. I am now just wanting to get off the course as I am beyond angry at this point.

17—134--Easy up hill par 3. Wind in our face and I hit a ¾ 8 iron to about 15 feet. Nice lag putt and tap in for 3. Kind of don’t remember this hole

18—490—Nice finishing par5. Fairway slopes left so a drive up the right will roll back to the fairway. I hit mine too far left and through some trees. There is a tiny opening but it is about 40 yards up. Very tough shot that I don’t pull off. Hit the tree and I get a lucky kick out to the fairway but left with 195 to the green with water in front. Hit a 5 iron and should have hit 4. Shot comes off to the right and lands in the creek. At this point I’m just livid and I finish out the hole with a chunk or 2 and some putts. I card a 9 and feel like I want to punch someone.

Overall the round was solid. Had 2 horrible holes but that was pretty much it. Irons were fantastic all day. There is no shot I can’t hit with these. Needed a low fade and I was able to hit one. Need to take a little off and punch it low is no problem. Heck barely hit the face and you will still get a nice shot. I feel like these irons are just about perfect. Honestly I don’t think I’ve ever just picked up new clubs and immediately played well with them. Best first 4 rounds I have ever played with new sticks. Very nice sole grind on these as well. I don’t know about the other testers but I am definitely a digger of the ball. I take huge divots. Well the sole on these will tend to bounce instead of dig and it allows me to take my swing and still get good shots even if I come in too steep. Gotta go to work but just wanted to share a great but intensely frustrating round.

Mardin funny you should ask that question. I was just about to jump in and expand a little about some shots I hit yesterday and I was thinking about the 8 iron. For my entire golfing life I think the one iron that I could consistently leave out of my bag and not notice has been the 8 iron. Don't know why but it just has always worked out that way. With this set I am absolutely loving the 8. It has been my favorite club so far. When I need to hit a shot from within 150 yards I find myself reaching for the 8 and using it as either a full shot from 150 or say 3/4 from 145 or so. It has been a great club for me so far.

So I just wanted to say something about a few shots I hit yesterday that I had commented on. Twice yesterday I hit shots off the toe and twice the ball went perfectly straight and almost full distance. I don't think I fully explained how far on the toe I hit those shots. I mean I missed the hitting area of the club. I hit those shots on the part of the toe that has no grooves. The shot on the par 3 was getting laughed at in my office today. I hit that shot so poorly that I didn't even look at it. I just cursed at myself and bent down to grab my tee. I could hear one of my playing partners ask the other one why I was so pissed. That is when I looked up and saw the ball going perfectly straight right at the hole. I have never played clubs as forgiving as these. They are like cheating.

Edit: I also should say again that the stock wedges in this set are fantastic. I love them.

I am supposed to demo these tomorrow and I am so excited from all these great reviews that I doubt I will sleep tonite!

I see a certain name lurking. Come on OEM. Lets hear about it!!

Edit: And I also see 16 guest reading this thread. Jump in guys/gals and join the forum!

I am supposed to demo these tomorrow and I am so excited from all these great reviews that I doubt I will sleep tonite!

Can't wait to hear what you think Clam.

I want to demo these irons also. Have fun! I can't wait to get another opinion on them also.

Wilson / Staff Di11's Arrive

Wilson / Staff Di11's Arrive

Well well look what arrived at OEM's house today. Thats right the Di11's are now here and I can now join the other testers, who by the way are doing a fantastic job. They've been doing such a great job Ive been dying for these to show up. Today I cut out early hoping that I might find that box that all internet and serious golfers alike love to see at the doorstep.
IMG_0336.jpg

I have to thank THP and Wilson Staff for this opportunity and after a shipping error W/S got these rushed to me after speaking with them just this past Thursday. Thank you!
IMG_0337.jpg

Because club pron never gets old, here are a few pictures of the 8 iron.

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0340.jpg

And why did they send me a 2 iron?
IMG_0341.jpg

That would be the 4 iron. Sure looks strong to me.

I have a two part initial first impression of these. First, seeing just how great looking these are made me realize how much better I need to do at the next demo day. I wont be "that" guy ever again. This isnt my first rodeo with the Di11's. Its not even my second. I hit them at the THP demo day and I liked them then too. But in no way did I give them due justice. They are just fantastic looking irons. From any angle. My second thought on the way to the range was that these irons look just as good in chrome and black as the Burner 2.0's do in the mostly darker finish. They just look good.

I was so excited to get to the range I took pictures of the new bag set up and then jumped in the car and left without the golf bag. Luckily I didnt get too far before I figured it out. Once at the range I was very rushed and quick with my swing so as you can imagine I hit quite a few thin shots out of the first few. When you catch one thin you know it. I was actually very surprised just how much these irons talk to you. I knew a thin shot. I knew a toed shot. And when you pured one you knew that too. I passed you know who racing to the range so I had to just hit a small bucket to keep the peace. I was able to work through each iron, GW - 4i, and came away super impressed. Even though it wasnt my best range session I already could see a couple things very clearly. These irons are good looking at address with a fairly conservative amount of offset. They have excellent weighting, which was something I didnt remember from before. The shafts hold up extremely well and I had no complaints about them. The grips are probably some of the worst Ive seen on stock clubs. I dont like the look or the feel. On the glove hand it feels like your hand will never come off but on your non glove hand it feels like your skin might get ripped off. Its almost too sticky like it might hurt after playing 18. So what do I think after a small bucket? Well, I had no trouble hitting any of the irons. All were very easy to hit, very easy to get in the air and with no ballooning either. I'll leave it at this for now and hopefully this weekend I can get them out for a round and come back with even more. Here are a few pictures of the bag:

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

Great stuff Kevin. Wait till you get them out on the course. I can hit these irons fine off of the mats but once you get on real turf they really shine.

OEM- Those look good in your bag! It looks like the longer irons have a wider sole. Is that correct?

Back