Review Wilson Staff Launch Pad Irons and Metal Woods

Hi all, first post here.

I am a mid/high handicaper who has only been playing for about 4 /5yrs (34 yrs old)- started late and im spewing because this game is ADDICTIVE.

I recently went to the pro shop intending to purchase the Cleveland HB's to replace my previous set of second hand clubs. They didnt have the Turbo's in but I had a few swings of the older model. Was hitting them ok but not great, I then tried the Callaway Rogue's which were nice to hit. He then suggested I try the Wilson D7's and i was very happy with the result - hitting 20m longer and more accurate (7iron).

I went ahead with the purchase of the Wilson D7's (5i - PW) however just after the purchase, the Launchpads were released. Im happy with my D7's but a little spewing that i didnt get to test these out.

Anyway my question is, I have a 816H1 Titleist HY (19deg) for my long shots but I am considering testing/purchasing a 4i and/or 5i in the LP series. Confidence in my iron shots has grown immensely since the purchase of the D7's, I am wondering if having a look at the 4i/5i in these would be a good idea to help with long distance shots ? any feedback on the long irons would be great. (4i / 5i) thanks!

Last edited:
Is the Launch Pad line in stores already in the US? Has anybody seen them in stores today?

My local fitting center has nothing from the LP line.

Anyway my question is, I have a 816H1 Titleist HY (19deg) for my long shots but I am considering testing/purchasing a 4i and/or 5i in the LP series. Confidence in my iron shots has grown immensely since the purchase of the D7's, I am wondering if having a look at the 4i/5i in these would be a good idea to help with long distance shots ? any feedback on the long irons would be great. (4i / 5i) thanks!

First off, welcome to THP.
Second, I think it could be a great option. They are super easy to hit and would blend well into the D7 set.

Anyone get a chance to try the Wilson LP Fy ?

This speaks to me at 19.5* and 41” as I prefer a shorter higher launching down club.

Can’t find any in the wild.

This speaks to me at 19.5* and 41” as I prefer a shorter higher launching down club.

@Molten has one right now I believe.

@Molten has one right now I believe.

@JB is completely right. Let me know if you have any questions you want answered. The Fy shape and length (having never had one before) was interesting right out of the box and is SUPER versatile. It might end up replacing two or three clubs at the top end of my bag if it plays its cards right.

@JB is completely right. Let me know if you have any questions you want answered. The Fy shape and length (having never had one before) was interesting right out of the box and is SUPER versatile. It might end up replacing two or three clubs at the top end of my bag if it plays its cards right.

Hi Molten - I guess I may have overlooked the LP Fy myself. My previous question was regarding using a LP 4i at my top end of clubs but perhaps the LP Fy might be the one instead to replace the longer clubs? As a mid/high handicapper, do you rate the LP Fy as a game improver club for long shots instead of looking into the LP 4i?

Any idea how many cc’s the head is ? I couldn’t find it On Wilson’s site.
If not Is there any other fairway wood or hybrid that is a similar size ?

Hi Molten - I guess I may have overlooked the LP Fy myself. My previous question was regarding using a LP 4i at my top end of clubs but perhaps the LP Fy might be the one instead to replace the longer clubs? As a mid/high handicapper, do you rate the LP Fy as a game improver club for long shots instead of looking into the LP 4i?

I definitely consider the Fy to be a GI club and it does a great job getting the ball up in the air with plenty of distance and spin. I don’t recall the 4i and Fy being overlapping but instead saw them as complementary with my gapping. If the numbers are overlapping, I’d say it could be a great replacement for the 4i. The Fy is a bit stronger with a bit longer of a shaft, so it should be a bit longer

In my bag, it was like a 3h, driving iron, 5 wood distance and could do a little of each (other than the low stinger that I can’t do anyway).

Any idea how many cc’s the head is ? I couldn’t find it On Wilson’s site.
If not Is there any other fairway wood or hybrid that is a similar size ?

I couldn’t fathom a guess at the cc but I could try to get you some photos of it next to other hybrids and fairways if you think they would help.

In my bag, it was like a 3h, driving iron, 5 wood distance and could do a little of each (other than the low stinger that I can’t do anyway).

thats exactly where I am at. i have a callaway 5w X2hot, a titleist 816H Hybrid and also the Wilson D7 5i - all similar distances although the D7 5i is a little tough to hit sometimes (push/slice!!).

just purchased a Rogue 3W which has pretty much replaced the 5w as i am hitting the 3 wood just as well (although hits a little longer).. so this LP Fybrid might replace those i have just mentioned above... thanks will definitely think about it!

I definitely consider the Fy to be a GI club and it does a great job getting the ball up in the air with plenty of distance and spin. I don’t recall the 4i and Fy being overlapping but instead saw them as complementary with my gapping. If the numbers are overlapping, I’d say it could be a great replacement for the 4i. The Fy is a bit stronger with a bit longer of a shaft, so it should be a bit longer

I couldn’t fathom a guess at the cc but I could try to get you some photos of it next to other hybrids and fairways if you think they would help.

That would be awesome.

thats exactly where I am at. i have a callaway 5w X2hot, a titleist 816H Hybrid and also the Wilson D7 5i - all similar distances although the D7 5i is a little tough to hit sometimes (push/slice!!).

just purchased a Rogue 3W which has pretty much replaced the 5w as i am hitting the 3 wood just as well (although hits a little longer).. so this LP Fybrid might replace those i have just mentioned above... thanks will definitely think about it!
If you like fairways and hybrids over long irons, I’d definitely give it a try. The shape is like a baby between a fairway and a hybrid.

Hi all, first post here.

I am a mid/high handicaper who has only been playing for about 4 /5yrs (34 yrs old)- started late and im spewing because this game is ADDICTIVE.

I recently went to the pro shop intending to purchase the Cleveland HB's to replace my previous set of second hand clubs. They didnt have the Turbo's in but I had a few swings of the older model. Was hitting them ok but not great, I then tried the Callaway Rogue's which were nice to hit. He then suggested I try the Wilson D7's and i was very happy with the result - hitting 20m longer and more accurate (7iron).

I went ahead with the purchase of the Wilson D7's (5i - PW) however just after the purchase, the Launchpads were released. Im happy with my D7's but a little spewing that i didnt get to test these out.

I also play the 816H1 and the transition into the 4Iron is almost seamless for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also play the 816H1 and the transition into the 4Iron is almost seamless for me.

Yes its a nice club. Thats why I am also considering applying a bit more practice to the 816 and hopefully will resolve my long iron issues... though as per my original post, the LP range looks nice!

Yes its a nice club. Thats why I am also considering applying a bit more practice to the 816 and hopefully will resolve my long iron issues... though as per my original post, the LP range looks nice!

Should have clarified, the transition into the LP 4 Iron is seamless. The long irons in the LPs have really impressed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The long irons in the LPs have really impressed me.

Sorry Jaymo am I reading this right - do you own the LP 4i or is that from your testing?

Just to clarify, do you think the LP 4i and the LP Fybrid could be a helpful replacment for my Titlist 816 and Callaway 5w? i am 20+ handicap

@OverPar247365 , that's a great write up man! Solid review and thanks for sharing your insights. Congrats on the new clubs and keep up us updated on them.

That would be awesome.
I’ll admit, it too longer than I expected to get my data. Sorry about that. I confirmed the 4i and 19.5 Fy are not over lapping. I saw the 4 hovering in the 190-195 range nearly the whole time and the Fy going from 200-210. So the Fy would be more of a 3i or 5w in my bag as expected. I will say that the numbers were closer than I expected.

I’ll admit, it too longer than I expected to get my data. Sorry about that. I confirmed the 4i and 19.5 Fy are not over lapping. I saw the 4 hovering in the 190-195 range nearly the whole time and the Fy going from 200-210. So the Fy would be more of a 3i or 5w in my bag as expected. I will say that the numbers were closer than I expected.

I actually tried the old Fybrid RS on the used rack the other day. Was surprised by my results. Other than one decent shot with a 5w this one outperformed the Super Hybrid and other fairways I tested that day. Hope to try this Fy soon if the local places get one in

IMG_1613.JPGIMG_1614.JPGIMG_1615.JPGIMG_1622.JPGIMG_1623.JPG

Nice pics J.B., thank you. Which retailer was this? Did they have the FY?

Nice pics J.B., thank you. Which retailer was this? Did they have the FY?
Hunt Golf in Burlington, NC. No sir, just irons and driver. Fairways and Fy-brid were not in yet.

Launch Pad irons were impressive. Looks wise, I like the Cleveland and Tour Edge offerings better. The sole is WIDE! But, they do a great job camouflaging it from the top. The driver, eh didn’t wow me looks wise...but, performance looks strong! It definitely sits closed, has draw bias weighting, and what looks like Mizuno’s “wave sole”. It definitely gives the thought that it will do everything possible for you not to slice the ball. Great looking stock offering of the UST Mamiya Helium shaft which is now black and sleek!

Took these out the other day to compare to the following iron sets:

These have the KBS Tour 80 Stiff Flex Shafts

Bridgestone J15 DPF with :TrueTemper: Elevate Tour S300
Cobra F9 Irons with :NipponShaft: Modus Tour 105 Shafts in Stiff Flex.

Wilson Launch Pad irons with KBS Tour 80 Stiff Flex Shafts

Cleveland HB Launcher Turbos with :TrueTemper: AMT Red R300

In terms of performance - from a number perspective as well as Dispersion and Trajectory, I the F9s performed the best - mind you my inconsistent amateur swing changes each session lol.

View attachment 8920040

View attachment 8920041

Purple is the Launch Pad Color for all of the data.

Wilson Launch Pads - these performed very well for me. Lower spin good launch, second best to the F9s and had ball speed up as well. Definitely felt like I needed to step into them in the bay that day to get them to do what I wanted, but it was easy to control start on the target line and to the right of the target line and saw some nice draws. A couple of the ones to the right of the target line just got hung out there. Sound is still that tingy noise, but performance was there for me with these in the session. Similar to the other sets, I wonder how these would perform with some other shafts.

View attachment 8920043

The HB Launcher Turbos - surprisingly were one of the lowest launching irons, I wonder if it's the shaft in there as most of the feedback is the high launch in these. Definitely makes sense where I see the Launch Pads and F9s launching higher. Speed on these was in line with the J15s which was a surprise to me, but it's been a bit slower last couple outings.

But the dispersion and forgiveness is there in these irons - compared to the other ones, I didn't have an really short significant distance losses. Solid performance, I think can be improved on.

View attachment 8920044

The J15s are my babies, tried and true and lots of great golf played with these - lateral dispersion was pretty tight, however not as great on the mishits as the other three sets - could get out there with the others but definitely giving up the forgiveness. From a launch standpoint, the lowest if not one of the lower ones.

View attachment 8920042

Cobra F9 6i - This had the best launch - pretty tight dispersion, fastest ball speed and highest spin - 4,900 RPM spin for a 6i, almost 700 RPM better than the other heads. Solid outing for the F9

View attachment 8920039

The Launch Pads have it in terms of - accuracy and forgiveness - performed very similar in that department to the Cleveland Turbos. In my testing they could arguably called better - averaged 4 yards more carry, a bit higher flight, 2 mph more ball speed - was lower spin though.

Previous 6i Data quoted above ???

Compared PWs across all four sets last night.

Wilson Launch Pad Irons:

These have the KBS Tour 80 Stiff Flex Shafts

Bridgestone J15 DPF:

:TrueTemper: Elevate Tour S300

Cobra F9 Irons:

:NipponShaft: Modus Tour 105 Shafts in Stiff Flex.

Cleveland HB Launcher Turbos:

:TrueTemper: AMT Red R300

BALL: Bridgestone Tour B RX 2020

In terms of performance - from a number perspective as well as Dispersion and Trajectory, I the F9s performed the best, highest launch and pretty tight dispersion. However, we had a dispersion charge from the Turbos, they had the tightest dispersion of all four PWs. The J15s had the lowest launch and dispersion was pretty loose. Take that set out and the other ones would be recommended gamers, based on data.

PWs Trackman Trajectory 1.26.20.GIF

PWs Trackman Dispersion 1.26.20.GIF

Dark Blue is the Launch Pad Color for all of the data.

Wilson Launch Pads - these were a solid performer yesterday.

Highest spinning PW of the sets, 500 rpm more than both the Turbo and F9 (J5 1,200 more than J15)

Had the 3rd fastest club speed, however ball speed was the slowest.

Later dispersion was a little loose, however distance was pretty tight.

I had one shot, my notes are bit off with shot number, that was really toey, but still solid distance and accuracy one of the two close to the center line as I did not hit my draw.

I've put these in play on the course and had favorable results so nothing that is a red flag, however the other sets may be better for me.

Launch Pad PW Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

Brown is the Turbo Color for all of the data.

HB Launcher Turbos - not going to win the longest based on my testing, however coming in second in distance, but tightest dispersion says so much.

2nd highest spinning PW of the sets, still 500 rpm less than LPs, but nipped the F9s by a hair.

2nd fastest club speed, with 2nd fastest balls speed

Dispersion was SOOOO Tight, even on the mishit, that was one of the lowest launching shots I hit on the day. didn't give up much in terms of distance either.

I've put these in play on the course and had favorable results so nothing that is a red flag, however the other sets may be better for me.

I still am wondering if these can be optimized for my game with a different shaft that is stiffer and launches higher. On course, my miss is exaggerated left, but when the swing is tight these are DARTs.

Turbo PW Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

The J15s are my babies, tried and true and lots of great golf played with these - disperion was the worst of all irons, lost a few left, distance dispersion is okay. From a launch standpoint, the lowest if not one of the lower ones.

J15 PW Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

Light Blue is the F9 Color for all of the data.

F9 King Irons - Not in the hybrid iron class, based on the data could be the overall winner.

3rd highest spinning PW of the sets, still 500 rpm less than LPs, 30 rpms slower than Turbos

Fastest in Ball Speed and Club Speed, Longest carry distance as well.

Dispersion was excellent, just behind Turbos, hit one too flush lol.

I gamed these for most of last year and the few times the swing was ON - these were outstanding, I posted fantastic scores and the ball did everything that was asked. However I battled a lot of discomfort with them for some reason which is disappointing. I do like them and would like to give them a go with a different shaft.

F9 PW Trackman 1.26.20.GIF

The Launch Pads have it in terms of - accuracy and forgiveness - performed very similar in that department to the Cleveland Turbos. I think these are a solid offering especially for their first foray into this space, however I think they definitely have room for improvement.

Very good comparison data, @OITW

Back